Malifaux International Competitive Extravaganza - May 2017

OldManMyke

3 hours ago, OldManMyke said:

And here it is, Draft rules pack, feedback appreciated but understand that the fundamentals probably won't change

https://www.dropbox.com/s/amuv7n5ms91unne/MICEFaux Draft Rules.pdf?dl=0

Team italy is already up with a team. If possible, I believe, I can gather another team. :D

Speaking of the rules...very nice and awesome pairing system, my suggestions:

• Breaks in case of tournament draw, highest priority the "winner" in the direct match

Despite the revisions, I still don't see a point in the pairings process.  To me it gives players nothing more than the illusion that they are impacting the set up.  Picking factions not knowing the players OR the Strats OR the Schemes... knowing a faction in a vacuum doesn't give you actionable information.

I'd look to the BloodBowl World Cup, the largest team mini gaming event ever, for inspiration on how to do pairings, which also enforces the unique race/faction rule you want, not Warhammer ETC, which came up with a pairings process as an effort to mitigate fundamental imbalances between army books, a problem Malifaux factions don't have.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Guy in Suit said:

Despite the revisions, I still don't see a point in the pairings process.  To me it gives players nothing more than the illusion that they are impacting the set up.  Picking factions not knowing the players OR the Strats OR the Schemes... knowing a faction in a vacuum doesn't give you actionable information.

I'd look to the BloodBowl World Cup, the largest team mini gaming event ever, for inspiration on how to do pairings, which also enforces the unique race/faction rule you want, not Warhammer ETC, which came up with a pairings process as an effort to mitigate fundamental imbalances between army books, a problem Malifaux factions don't have.

Know a faction doesn't give you input, not much.

But knowing a master in makes all the difference. Surely, there are master who can play freely with hundreds of models...but many of them need to play with few models to get the best sinergies.

Know the master, know the schemes...you can more than easily predict an optimal setup from your opponent.

I disagree with your view

28 minutes ago, Blacks85 said:

I disagree with your view

Maybe just elaborate on what makes this fun for you - where the thought process is interesting?

To me, this system makes sense in a system like Fantasy, as the lists were not even closed to balanced.

Therefore the pairings were very tactical as players went into games trying to minimize losses against lists that were objectively better.  You played offense with your good lists and defense with your bad ones.

Malifaux doesn't suffer from this fundamental issue, and already has a tactical pregame built into the system, so I just don't see what the value add from this is. (But am happy to have it explained to me!)
  • Like 1

I'd like to see the master/player information be the revealed information during pairing. Otherwise it seems like the decisions being made during each pairing has very little weight. I also dislike that a random flip determines who gets to choose "Team A" or "Team B". Personally, I'd like to see both Teams have to choose something at the same time. I have a notional idea written up (but need to find time to clean it up), but in general worry about the 15min setup.

I would like to see something agreed upon by the international Malifaux community (unless of course each locale will be able to put their own spin on it each year, and if that's the case than what you have looks good for the first try).

Not sure if you've seen these but here is a 4 person pairing system being used this weekend at Bragging Rights (pairing explanation starts page 2).

• Like 1

I'm not trying to takeover the world here, or even create something that lasts beyond the first runnng, purely creating an event to capitalise on the large overseas interest that the UK Nationals has created.

if someone else steps up and creates an event, more power to them and as always they will hopefully create a rulespack that gives them what they want the event to create.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Guy in Suit said:

(But am happy to have it explained to me!)

Why not is the question?

Malifaux is fun and balanced as it is, I almost agree with you. But it is faction vs faction.

Master vs master doesn't work so good: an example? Try to stop colette in doing marker with outcast, impossible. Try to stop colette in doing marker with Ulix? Easy done! This is - of course - an extreme example but it may be applied in different way to different master / schemes combination

But if you do something different, why not add something different that involve the team decision?

Surely it makes more sense to bloodbowl or WFB, but it gives something more here too.

Simply being different and adding a team decision doesn't have inherent value to me - I see it as a chore that takes time in advance of being able to play the game.  

I agree wholeheartedly with your example, that if you fixed lists then you'd suffer huge imbalances and match up issues, but I'd argue that the potential pitfalls in these match ups give the pairing process a reason to exist. 

I was just trying to challenge the premise that adding a pairing process all things being equal is meritocratic in a vacuum.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next May, and will be saddled up to the bar while my Captain handles the busy work of figuring out who I am playing. ;)

• Like 1