June 6 - Sandeep

Lucidicide

What's next?  

480 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

Sandeep is the boring preview of the bunch so far. Just a Sidir with some magic stuck on. I guess Aladdin left the Djinn's lamp behind for the later generations.

Uhh... is that similar to how Perdita is "just a gunslinger", Lucius is "just a Lawyer who stands up straight" or Titania is "just a Hollow Waif with some wings stuck on"? Just because Sidir and Sandeep are the only two sub-continental characters in the game so far doesn't mean they're the same.

Also, Aladdin is an Arabic story. Different part of the world.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kadeton said:

Uhh... is that similar to how Perdita is "just a gunslinger", Lucius is "just a Lawyer who stands up straight" or Titania is "just a Hollow Waif with some wings stuck on"? Just because Sidir and Sandeep are the only two sub-continental characters in the game so far doesn't mean they're the same.

Also, Aladdin is an Arabic story. Different part of the world.

This is the way I feel nevertheless. In no way do I claim that anyone else is obliged to agree with me, additionally Sidir and Sandeep do not become the same in any way just because I say so. And yes, for me Perdita -is- "just a gunslinger" and rather bland - but then again, this is a matter of personal perception (to which I am surely entitled?). Nice take on Titania though - I have to say, this is a rather creative way to look at her. Kudos.
In addition, I am aware that 'Aladdin' is an Arabic story and that Arab people are not Sikh, nor Thai, nor Comanche, nor any other ethnicity. What I was referencing here is the 'source material', or 'inspiration', if you will. Wyrd tend to draw from many classic stereotypes or tales and I really like this, because it allows me to associate a model or character with something I knew from before. There was a magical lamp in 'Aladdin' , so I thought of this particular story. The fact that it does not click with me? That's my problem (but then again, nothing Arcanist clicks with me). Surely a biased person like myself has the right to post a stupid comment to make a fool of himself once in a while? :)
What's more, can you guarantee that the Earth in the Malifaux world is exactly the same as ours? I don't think so, unless you have amazing insight and/or inside knowledge into Wyrd's vision of 'Earth' and 'Malifaux' in the game. There similarities and differences. For example, the TT story from Wave 2 had events that drawing inspiration from the real world 'Boxer Rebellion'. On the other hand, we don't have the 'Three Kingdoms' in this world - in fact, we do not have the Guild, or soulstones. Certainly not any world-wide magic unions. There is lot of wiggle room for fun changes here :P
Oh, and since gunslingers were mentioned: I am probably sour because I was looking forward to seeing the gunslinger character more (who I expect to be an Outcast and who thus lost the vote with a very small margin). Even if he is a rather basic gunslinger type character, I will probably still like him more than the Guild ones. After all, 'outlaws cowboys' are more fun than the 'corrupt badges' (to me) :P

• Like 2

I liked Reva a lot but as an arcanist/resser player this model has me more excited.  Once we see the backs and support models for them I may go back to reva but so far this one has me reaching for my wallet.  Great job Wyrd.  I love the expansion past oriental European and American cultures.  From the fluff point of view the time period was fascinated with indian culture and I always thought it odd that Malifaux did not take advantage of this.  Like I said great job!

RowninX

• Like 3

13 hours ago, RowninX said:

I liked Reva a lot but as an arcanist/resser player this model has me more excited.  Once we see the backs and support models for them I may go back to reva but so far this one has me reaching for my wallet.  Great job Wyrd.  I love the expansion past oriental European and American cultures.  From the fluff point of view the time period was fascinated with indian culture and I always thought it odd that Malifaux did not take advantage of this.  Like I said great job!

RowninX

Yeah, I dunno man, I think it might just be easy to lose sight of the interest of a nation brimming with exotic luxuries in the Malifaux universe, considering they have a full extradimentional rift to another world to obsess over.  Call me crazy, but that would catch my eye.

On 6/10/2016 at 0:29 PM, thebarbalag said:

...though weirdly set in China.

That always got me as a kid.

Wait did that say Gobi desert? Where is the Gob Desert again? *looks at map*

*insert dismayed small child face*

That disney movie makes so much less sense now... 

On 10/06/2016 at 0:29 PM, thebarbalag said:

...though weirdly set in China.

It's actually not that weird, If I'm remembering the story correctly.

the story comes from One Thousand and One Nights. Which uses the framing device of story telling - with the Kings wife telling him more and more stories to serve as a stay of execution...So it's an Arabian story about an Arabian Queen telling a story set in China to her husband.

• Like 2