My Competitive Zoraida Build

orkdork

I've tried out the Spawn Mother once and the Gupps engine works pretty well with the Wisps.  Being able to actually pop one a turn was really nice.  She did some okay killing but we had to end the game early, so she had just gotten into the fray.  I'm going to give her some more table over the next few weeks and see what I think.

In episode 46 of Schemes and Stones, Master Spotlight Neverborn Zoraida, Lewis Phillips talks about wanting to try out Rougarou.

I do not see any particular synergy with Zoraida other than Pounce and Dance, Puppet which, in my opinion, is substantially situational.
Challenge Of The Alpha and Howl To The Blood Moon if you play Widow Weaver as well, Fresh Meat if you play Will o' the Wisps (and you probably will).

Would somebody please share their experience with them? I do understand that their models are not out nor announced yet so it is fairly unlikely, but maybe...

I have not listened to the Podcast, nor am I really able to owing to my hearing impairment, but I've played the twins (Lelu and Lilitu) in Zoraida before to good effect, what with Z's Obey for Whispers in Blood prior to twins starting their thing, and Lelu's Pounce providing for nasty bursts of damage once Lilitu starts her Luring.

It'd be immensely telegraphed, and expensive during the hiring phase, but a mass pull into Lilitu (packing that 4" melee range) and Lelu could be explosive.

Bad Juju is also somewhat panned relative to other Henchman choices, but a mass grouping is a prime target for Landslide, especially if the Rougarou pops away to hug something that resisted its push.

I agree that there isn't a whole lot of synergy with Momma Z herself, but once you start getting into other stuff that goes with her (twins for Obeying Whispers, Bad Juju with the swampfiends she can bring), things start getting interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been running two different builds recently. 

A swampfiends with Zoraida +animal shape and Tarot reading, McTavish, spawn mother, Doppleganger, nurse and 2 wisps. Sometimes with a gupp or two to start. But pumps out a gupp a turn. Even got some silurids out of it once or twice.

then there's build a bear which I've not perfected yet but generally run Zoraida with animal shape and fears given form, widow weaver with handbag and fears given form, Doppleganger, two wisps and two insidious madness. Plus a few upgrades. I've also tried this with Hannah in too. This works well for activation control at the start whilst you're pumping voodoo dolls out (well 2 anyway)

both have scope for a little change depending on schemes and strats etc.

am currently running at an even win/loss ratio whilst I fiddle.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've copied ur first build last night, worked out pretty well against lucius (10T). Anything moving towards me got hem'ed and shot down by McT and Doppelgänger while my gupps ran around placing markers.

Unfortunately I had to set up first and my oppponent countered my set up, so i had to swap sides on the first turn and basically lost a turn... This led to some models being out of position also in the later game and Hungering Darkness was able to engage McT, Nurse and a Gupps at once... that kinda screwed me over. Then I managed to hem the HD and walk into its engagament range for the paralyze... that was FUN. 

I've gotta say, the wisps sure give Zoraida a huge boost and the McT / Doppel combo for pewpew can be pretty devastating against targets without armor or other defensive tricks. 

I'd love to hear from other players experiences with other builds too. After only one game, it feels like there could be more potential, as you mentioned with WW, and I look forward to trying other comps.

30 minutes ago, Mununkulus said:

. This led to some models being out of position also in the later game and Hungering Darkness was able to engage McT, Nurse and a Gupps at once... that kinda screwed me over. Then I managed to hem the HD and walk into its engagament range for the paralyze... that was FUN. 

Whilst this sounds fun, it does require you to do it over 2 turns, as you will have to pass the Horror duel to hem him in the first place, which means you are immune to his horror for the rest of that turn. 

23 hours ago, Starrius said:

aren't the dolls constructs and not living so HD only has terror living?

they are. I guess there was a flaw in our games then... then again, the HD had already activated and I could have paralyzed the doll with my nurse. 

10 hours ago, Vorschlag said:

Also remember damage from Hem gets passed incorporeal 

yes indeed. I managed to kill HD once because of that.

• Like 1

Played Zoraida in a game against a Rasputina crew last night.

Took Zoraida with Hex bag and Fears Given Form,

Widow Weaver with Handbag and Fears Given Form,

Doppleganger with Retributions Eye,

2 x Stitched Together,

2 x Bloodwretch and

2 x Wisps.

Opponent had Raspy, Ice Golem, 3 ice gamin, wendigo and 2 x Cerberus.

The bloodwretches were amazing in this. Each one took out a cerberus thanks to Zoraida obeying their Rage Builds giving them +1 damage and draw 2 cards discard 1 on damaging. That with their inbuilt +ve to attack when they charge makes them brutal for 5ss. The wisps did their thing making 2 voodoo dolls a turn (1 from wisp 1 from Zoraida), meaning turn 2 I had a teddy.  By this time his crew were getting close enough that I could Hem with the doll and sit it in the FGF auras putting 6 damage on enemy models just by activating the doll. The stitiched didn't really get chance to do anything. With the wretches taking out the cerberus and the teddy taking out the golem there wasn't much left for them to gamble with, but I managed to take out the wendigo with one. Ultimately they were there as a threat and, should they die, provide scrap markers for more teddies / wicked dolls.

My only worry with this build was the lack of movement tricks. The wretches are wlk6 so can get places fairly quick, but I ended up using them more as beaters. The teddy can get a few movement tricks with his push trigger and Gobble you up, but again, he's more of a beater which meant in the end the stitched were doing the scheme/strat running. But I won 6-3 after 4 turns in the end so can't complain.

12 minutes ago, feagaur said:

The bloodwretches were amazing in this. Each one took out a cerberus thanks to Zoraida obeying their Rage Builds giving them +1 damage and draw 2 cards discard 1 on damaging.

You cannot do this. The ability works only during the same activation. 
Rage is only active during zoriadas activation when you use this tactical action thought a obey.
When a bloodwrech activatie you need to use 'the rage builds' again.

1 minute ago, Lucky_Dice_6 said:

Rage is only active during zoriadas activation when you use this tactical action thought a obey.

just use Aionus and give them fast to blood rage then charge for glorious card drawing

3 minutes ago, Lucky_Dice_6 said:

I never noticed that.

Hmm, I will have to rethink it then.

My successful Zoraida lists post Will-o-wisps have both been swamp fiend based because I want to see if it's a thing or not, and it's been okay.  I'm looking at going outside the Swampfiends after I get bored with Titania.

Zoraida (Hex Bag, Wings of Darkness)
McTavish (merc)
Bad Juju (Fears Given Form, Eternal Fiend)
Doppleganger
Nurse (merc)
Gupps
Gupps
Will o' the Wisp

Juju work as a defensive line while McTavish and Doppleganger kill things.  Meanwhile the Gupps run whatever schemes I need while Zoraida does her support.  For the most part the Nurse and Voodoo Doll are there to take down any big annoying models, preferably Henchmen.  This works  fine for any Interact heavy pool combo.

Zoraida (Hex Bag, Wings of Darkness)
McTavish
Spawn Mother
Waldgeist
Waldgeist
Nurse
Will o' the Wisp
Will o' the Wisp

Waldgeist run defense with support from the Nurse (in various ways) while McTavish kills things.  Spawn Mother makes eggs that the Will o' the Wisp turn into Gupps, who then start scheming on Turn 2.  Turn 3/4 Spawn Mother goes on the offensive.  Zoraida does what she does.

I've found it's good turn 3 or 4 to move the spawn mother up to keep other swampfiends in her 6" bubble for getting free charges against enemies that kill them. It's a fairly good deterant. People tend to not want a spawn mother getting a free charge against the model that's just killed your 3ss Wisp. So they start to send bigger models meaning your 3ss model just cost them a whole lot more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 7:33 PM, Bumpasses said:

Getting ready to field Z.

Where can I find the list of things hem damage does and doesn't get past.

Ty

B

I'm not sure there is a list as such, but Hem is a condition. So whatever conditions can by-pass (Incorporeal, doesn't count as any particular crew killing etc) Hem can.

• 3 months later...
On 2017-03-25 at 8:33 PM, Bumpasses said:

Getting ready to field Z.

Where can I find the list of things hem damage does and doesn't get past.

Ty

B

It's hard to make a list but the damage is from a condition and not the attack or condition which is hurting he dollso it should be fairly straightforward to see how the enemy damage mitigation is worded.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎24‎.‎7‎.‎2017 at 0:16 PM, qoob said:

I've read many comments that Spawn Mother summoning is pretty effective using Wisps...Is there a way getting that :crownecessary?

She can burn SS for the Suit but that's about it. Do note that it is a low Crows (only a six) so getting a suitable card into hand isn't all that uncommon.