Post your schemes, get a list thread

4thstringer

So,  buoyed by the other conversation regarding our meta,  I've got an idea.   I'm sure it has been used before.  

My play group often generates scenes and strats prior to  our play night.   I assume other groups do the same. 

So what does that have to do with this thread?   Simply that if I want to shake up my play,  it can come from you all.   And if I have hairbrained lists,  why not see what other people can do with it?

So that's the idea of this thread.   Someone posts their schemes and strats, people post potential lists.   Other people can post their own,  or edit lists taken. 

I hope the player then chooses one of the lists,  and gives it a try.   They can then post on how it went.  And the cycle continues.   

My only request would be that people people quote the listmaker's list they used, so they can see when their lists are discussed or used. 

• Like 3

Today I played Headhunter vs Neverborn

w/ Convict Labour, Hunting Party, Exhaust their Forces, Inspection and Public Demonstration

List I used:

Perdita, Trick Shooting, Aura Ancestral

Santiago

Francisco, Wade In, Diestro

Nino, Hair Trigger

Enslaved Nephilim

2 Austringers

That's a fun scheme pool for Guild lol, and a good one to start us off, what have you guys got?

Edited by winterblade27
Didnt sound right

9 minutes ago, winterblade27 said:

w/ Convict Labour, Hunting Party, Exhaust their Forces, Inspection and Public Demonstration

Hmm I like hoffman for headhunter and exhaust so let's start there.   

field mechanic is 2 points.  

In this case I would take enough minions to threaten public demo, so two hunters and a watcher make it 21.

Now for beaters.   I usually would do howard here,  but I dont think you need it here.

This is the place for peacekeeper and an emissary. 

I'll wrap it up with nurse heartsbane and one additional stone.   I figure with this list you can slow and kill at a whim,  Heartsbane can push out to get heads,  and there is plenty of armor to go around. 

For the Above schemes and starts here's what I'd use. Favoring Explore the Ruins and Hunting Party.

Guild - 50ss Crew

Lady Justice -- 4SS Cache
+Badge Of Office - 2ss
+Last Stand - 1ss
+Plant Evidence - 1ss

• Scales Of Justice - 3ss
  • Brutal Effigy - 4ss
  • Brutal Emissary - 10ss
    +Conflux Of Judgement - 0ss
  • Guild Austringer - 6ss
  • The Judge - 9ss
    +Unrelenting Leader - 2ss
  • The Lone Marshal - 8ss
  • Watcher - 4ss

21 minutes ago, Fetid Strumpet said:

For the Above schemes and starts here's what I'd use. Favoring Explore the Ruins and Hunting Party.

Guild - 50ss Crew

Lady Justice -- 4SS Cache
+Badge Of Office - 2ss
+Last Stand - 1ss
+Plant Evidence - 1ss

• Scales Of Justice - 3ss
  • Brutal Effigy - 4ss
  • Brutal Emissary - 10ss
    +Conflux Of Judgement - 0ss
  • Guild Austringer - 6ss
  • The Judge - 9ss
    +Unrelenting Leader - 2ss
  • The Lone Marshal - 8ss
  • Watcher - 4ss

Exploring the ruins isn't on there. 

Edit: So is the judge setting up a first turn launch of lj upfield?

Edited by 4thstringer
Had a question.

Great thread, thanks for posting! This is exactly the type of mental exercise I love so will post my first ever forum comment (stepping out from lurking in the shadows!). I'll tackle this with a few general thoughts, then the list, then some commentary on roles.

So, I like this scheme pool in general. Not a fan of Public Demonstration, just because I tend not to use the types of minions that I want to have up in my opponent's face. But I can build a crew capable of the other 4 schemes, and then make my decision based on the opponent's crew and the table. Of the two masters I'm comfortable with (Perdita and McMourning) headhunter makes me favor McMourning, both because of his interact abilities and because I don't want to kill things from across the table. So... this is going to be a McMourning list.

Now, how to approach the crew? With no prior knowledge of opponent/table, I would lean towards Hunting Party (because of nice synergy with Headhunter) so a couple of hard-hitting henchmen/enforcers are a must. I also like Exhaust, because McMourning and a couple of austringers can cover it between them (and the austringers are an auto-take for Headhunter). But I also want to be prepared for Convict Labor and Inspection, because Hunting Party may be unfavorable given my opponent's crew, and Exhaust does not synergize well with Headhunter and Hunting Party so I might want to avoid it. So I need some mobile models who can get to table corners and/or churn out scheme markers.

OK, enough rambling, and onto the list:

McMourning (5 cache)

• Plastic surgery
  • On the clock

Francisco 

• Wade in
  • Hermanos 

Brutal Effigy 

Nurse 

Austringer

Austringer

Watcher

Pale Rider

The plan is for McMourning, Francisco, the nurse and the effigy to travel together, generating heads and exhausting things (if I take Exhaust). The Effigy ups McMournings survivability, the Nurse boosts combat output, paralyzes high-priority targets, and if necessary paralyze-heals Franc and the Doc. Soulstones will be used almost exclusively to keep Franc alive. The Pale Rider is a real star in Hunting Party, he will go off on his own and track down backfield minions, or get himself to a corner (Inspection) or drop markers (Convict Labor). A very versatile model indeed that I'm learning to get more out of. The austringers quarterback the head collection, weaken stuff for hunting party, or prompt interacts for Exhaust/Convict Labor. Finally, the watcher is there to swoop in on hard-to-reach heads, or interfere with an opponent's Convict Labor, or to get to a corner for Inspection. I might tweak a couple of things if I already knew the opponent's faction and table setup, but overall I like the list and feel like it covers most of my bases.

• Like 4

The Judge because he is an AP intensive to remove and hard hitting model, with a 0 action to give mobility to any model that might need it, and his upgrade gives him essentially a lesser version of prompt, which can be especially useful to use on the Brutal Emissary when Lady J is in the box. Frankly I don't understand why he doesn't show up more often. He be in a ton of my Resser lists if he was accessible to them. 

I would probably go with

Guild
50ss Crew

Perdita Ortega -- 4ss
 +Aura Ancestral - 1ss
 +Vengeance Bullet - 1ss
 +Trick Shooting - 2ss

Enslaved Nephilim - 3ss

Brutal Effigy - 4ss

Death Marshal - 6ss

Francisco Ortega - 8ss
 +Wade In - 1ss
 +Hermanos De Armas - 1ss

Guild Austringer - 6ss

Nino Ortega - 7ss
 +Hair Trigger - 1ss

Papa Loco - 7ss

Dead enemies can't complete any schemes.

• Like 3

On 5/31/2016 at 5:02 PM, winterblade27 said:

I almost auto-take an austringer on Hunting Party for hiding it away for points denial. Otherwise this scheme pool wants the crews to be engaged. Therefore squishier models like the watcher and the wastrels will probably not be fielded. Unless, of course, Hoffman and programmed directive. Fly, interact, flee!

One or two tough minions on the flanks will be able to score convict labor and inspection, but be bright shining targets for hunting party. If it weren't for that those would be my schemes, with public demonstration on standby. Local meta knows that they don't quite seem to have the range Guild does but haven't wholly learned that means they can't reach out and influence both flanks from their base wherever it may be. As it is, when headhunter pairs with hunting party...well. Probably take public demonstration since I'm going a bit old-school with this list and I like score-all-at-once schemes, though exhaust may be an option.

Local meta, I expect to see terror tots and Teddy. I know my local Neverborn has been getting cheeky with Lilith against Luna & McCabe respectively, and prefers cherub to primordial magic because it sinks my constructs into the hazardous mire. I know they don't have range or chain activation. Therefore I fall back on scheme scoring, strat denial, Hoffman with two bases of operations. The two bases will deploy within influence range of each other but plan to have the auxiliary base take care of any potential runners.

Main base: The Headhunters. Deploys about 4" off centerline.

Hoffman (Field Mechanic, O.S.A., 7 cache)

Mechanical Attendant*

Guardian

Peacekeeper

Sidir (Promises, Dampening Field*)

Auxiliary base (if needed): Stop That Tot. Deploys about 4" off centerline as well.

Guild Austringer, Watcher

I've sidelined the guardian for awhile, but there isn't a tougher minion to be had, so out he comes for a test. The watcher and austringer play chicken, and I simply accept the shortened lifespan of the mechanical attendant. Sidir slows if I choose exhaust, otherwise just murders and keeps the + flips alive. And honestly, if a + flip peacekeeper with up to 6 AP (1 AP reserved for looping those two) doesn't manage to squish at least one minion per turn I am doing something rather wrong. For my personal amusement I will keep an eye on the positioning of Teddy and others to see whether I 'borrow' Gobble You Up and go torch something which isn't Impossible to Wound. Moral victory if it's Lilith herself as this is a bit of a re-match against the Neverborn crew I expect to see.

I'm open to subtracting some cache and the attendant for a second (proxied) watcher. Not feeling the love for hunters this week.

*Barbaros and his challenge aura can go suck eggs. :angry:

My group resists pre-flipped strategy/schemes. I put one up for this week, and if it sticks at all I'll try setting this scheme pool as the next week's targets and see what happens.

Interesting strat and scheme combo.

So, I usually start by picking the master best suited for the strat, and build a crew that supports them while achieving schemes. But with Reconnoiter/Interference I take a different approach, and start with a few good solid models that function well on their on their own, without support from the rest of the crew. These strats force so much spreading out that I don't like the crew to be too reliant on one another. The hunter is great for this role -  relatively fast and survivable, and packs enough punch to take out opposing runners. And best of all, the 3" end-of-turn push is perfect for Recon because if they end their turn near the boundary between two table quarters, they can push into either one before points are scored. So, lets start by hiring two hunters. 

Next, I can hardly talk about mobile, self-sufficient models without going to the Pale Rider. Especially when the schemes are so tailor made for him. With his marker dropping trick, he can essentially score Breakthrough on his own, or get markers into dense clumps of enemy models for Plant Explosives (because its not interact). And, as long I can keep him safe through turns 1-2, he will score Bodyguard no problem. So, sign him up.

Now its time to think about what I want my master to achieve in this game. Their primary function really needs to be to spoil my opponent's plans - make it too dangerous to enter a particular table quarter, take out the Bodyguard model, etc. Of my masters, Perdita is tailor made for this job and I think she'd be the most competitive choice. But I'm just having so much fun with McMourning recently that I've gotta choose him instead. He's certainly not a terrible choice here - his interact shenanigans will help with Breakthrough or Plant Explosives, and his end of turn poison-push has the same utility for Recon as the hunter's. 

With McMourning always comes Francisco and the Brutal Effigy, and either a Nurse or the Chihuahua to get him nicely poisoned up. In this case it needs to be the Chihuahua to save a few points. Finally, I'll round out the list with an Austringer, for the particular roles of taking out 4-wound scheme runners that are attempting to score breakthrough, and to help drop markers with engaged models for Explosives.

So, the list is:

McMourning (5 cache)

• Plastic surgery (1)
  • On the clock (1)

Francisco (8)

• Wade in (1)

Brutal Effigy (4)

Zombie Chihuahua (2)

Hunter (7)

Hunter (7)

Austringer (6)

Pale Rider (12)

And my scheme selections will likely be Bodyguard (Pale Rider) and either Breakthrough or Plant Explosives, depending on opponent's crew. 

7 hours ago, 4thstringer said:

Alright im playing against guild tomorrow.   Gimme your builds for this one.- Reconnoiter. Schemes: Breakthrough,Bodyguard,Plant Explosives,Make Them Suffer. Deploy: Flank.  Only master I dont have is mccabe.

Guild
50ss Crew

Sonnia -- 4ss
 +Counterspell Aura - 1ss
 +Cherufe's Imprint - 1ss

Malifaux Child - 3ss

Brutal Effigy - 4ss

Francisco Ortega - 8ss
 +Wade In - 1ss
 +Hermanos De Armas - 1ss

Guild Austringer - 6ss

Guild Austringer - 6ss

Hunter - 7ss

Hunter - 7ss

Watcher - 4ss

Breakthrough and Plant Explosives should be doable with this list. Make them suffer and Bodyguard might be as well, depending on the opponent.

Two questions please: where does Sonnia herself deploy from in flank deployment, and it is even possible to deny a Guild player Plant Explosives with all the Finish the Job models we have on hand?

I decline to answer this strat/scheme pool as between your model constraints and mine I'd be recommending Hoffman. At best that is a battle where I HAVE to look at the terrain first to know if there's a snowball's chance to hold the centerline or I say forget the strat, I'm playing scheme denial...and there's Plant Explosives. :(

2 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Two questions please: where does Sonnia herself deploy from in flank deployment,

That would depend entirely on the table, the opponent and whether you are deploying first or second.

2 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

and it is even possible to deny a Guild player Plant Explosives with all the Finish the Job models we have on hand?

Is it possible to deny it against anyone?

25 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Is it possible to deny it against anyone?

Can't stop a model that is its walk + your melee range away from your model from walking in & dropping a scheme marker for 1 point unless you can slow it. It's the tech to drop scheme markers regardless of being engaged that I worry about, for extra explosives points per marker, and I know our faction has lots of it, and don't know which others do.

5 minutes ago, Gnomezilla said:

Can't stop a model that is its walk + your melee range away from your model from walking in & dropping a scheme marker for 1 point unless you can slow it. It's the tech to drop scheme markers regardless of being engaged that I worry about, for extra explosives points per marker, and I know our faction has lots of it, and don't know which others do.

Other factions have extra ap and leaps that make it quite easy. With leap you can even jump out from the engagement and drop the marker near it.

Or, you know, play Colette and drop markers for free while engaged and be able to place them anywhere within 6" too ;) 

I heartily recommend mercing performers to place markers while engaged and blow up offending markers dropped by your opponent.

7 hours ago, Myyrä said:

Sonnia -- 4ss
 +Counterspell Aura - 1ss
 +Cherufe's Imprint - 1ss

What are your thoughts on Reincarnate for Sonnia, given that the strategy is reconnoiter? Kirai and Levi seem to love summoning off kills for that Strategy, does reincarnate require you to jump through too many hoops to be worth it?

2 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

What are your thoughts on Reincarnate for Sonnia, given that the strategy is reconnoiter? Kirai and Levi seem to love summoning off kills for that Strategy, does reincarnate require you to jump through too many hoops to be worth it?

I have had fun games using it. Levi summons an abomination off a killed stalker - Sonnia turns it into a stalker again. 

36 minutes ago, admiralvorkraft said:

Ramos denies it pretty handily - out activate, Swarms, Large Arachnids, Performers... At the very least, it's easy to deny 1-2 points on the scheme.

Yeah, but even then one little schemer that manages to hole up away from the action late game can score 3 from it stupidly easily.

In my experience when breakthrough is in the pool both players are getting full points for it unless the game goes awfully for one of them.

50 minutes ago, lusciousmccabe said:

Yeah, but even then one little schemer that manages to hole up away from the action late game can score 3 from it stupidly easily.

In my experience when breakthrough is in the pool both players are getting full points for it unless the game goes awfully for one of them.

Aw man, I missed that there was breakthrough also! No kidding, that's full scheme points for everyone with that pool. Watchers and maybe orderlies, away!

18 hours ago, lusciousmccabe said:

It's okay I guess. I left it out for this list, because it would have left my ss pool very low and and reincarnation itself likes to eat ss. Keeping it would have pretty much required me to drop the Watcher and I felt it wasn't worth it as I didn't have that many models handing out burning anyways.

• Like 1

On Wednesday, June 01, 2016 at 6:29 AM, Myyrä said:

I would probably go with

Guild
50ss Crew

Perdita Ortega -- 4ss
 +Aura Ancestral - 1ss
 +Vengeance Bullet - 1ss
 +Trick Shooting - 2ss

Enslaved Nephilim - 3ss

Brutal Effigy - 4ss

Death Marshal - 6ss

Francisco Ortega - 8ss
 +Wade In - 1ss
 +Hermanos De Armas - 1ss

Guild Austringer - 6ss

Nino Ortega - 7ss
 +Hair Trigger - 1ss

Papa Loco - 7ss

Dead enemies can't complete any schemes.

The Guild mantra right there!! I never thought of using loco or the effigy in my list! Will try them out next time I get that pool