May 30 - Asami

Lucidicide

Vote!  

550 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I love this sculpt! :D

Pretty much what I was expecting from those who guessed the wild haired Oni look.

I see a mad, psychically crazed woman with freaky hair. A telekinetic or hypnotic horror who's very ordinariness is a stark contrast to the horror when the proverbial hits the fan. The creepiest Japanese Horror for me is always the "Quiet, Silent" types. Making her overly monstrous would have been very samey to me. Like Kirai, who without the head (which i removed) is just a pretty gardener girl who happens to be the embodiment of rage incarnate! :P

Not displeased to hear she probably has some sort of gaping maw and/or daemon on the flip side. Because again, the horror is hidden from plain sight at first glance. :)

I personally don't love her design, but I like Oni, so I'm still looking forwards to see the rest of her crew. Hope there'll be more versions of the Obsidian Oni, that'd be pretty cool. So far, my favorite is Reva, due to her nun outfit.

4 hours ago, Tawg said:

Funny stuff though.  Huh, this makes me wonder how long until Jorogumo's get a model, and or now many to a box.  They seem like a 1-per box type, don't you think?  Kind of unfortunate, but I've been interested in them since that book dropped, uuuguuu~ Last Blossom minions :mellow:

I also believe there will be one Jorogumo in the box, and not only because the models are big. Similarly to Dawn Serpent (except that they are not Rare 1) they are expensive minions and so we should be able to decide how many of them we want to buy.
Using 'Smoke & Shadows' with Torakage always seems too expensive, although it makes Oiran pretty decent smoke carriers. The inclusion of Jorogumo is going to make the game so different though. Now the occasional Shadowport is going to a game changer that the other player has to plan around, given the hitting power and durability of Jorogumo. I can't wait to make a Thunder Triad with Yamaziko and two Jorogumo in an Asami crew. Teleporting Oni going 'Chomp' on the opposition is pretty scary.
Oh, and the best part part about these guys? Their unit name is made up of a shortened version of my name, 'Joro' (from George) and spider, 'Gumo'. Ignore whatever meaning 'Joro' actually may or may not have in Japanese :P

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

I also believe there will be one Jorogumo in the box, and not only because the models are big. 

Not sure if its kosher for me to link, but the lovably obsessive folks at DakkaDakka found box art for a whole lot of Wave 3 boxes, Jorogumo in a box of 3 among them: Post with jorogumo

A few posts up there are most of the other Wave 3 boxes, though no Emissaries yet.  

May a mod slap me down if these aren't supposed to be up anywhere yet! :D 

• Like 1

there was also a picture on Facebook showing three renders on the back, then rumour has it that it might drop down to two... as they also removed the renders from the picture on the upcoming releases page.  I really hope it stays at three as all of the renders are really cool!  They are all male too.

Was going to post the picture, but ninja'd above!

On topic, I think Rathnard saved this one for me with that post above.  My initial impressions weren't great and I'm still not terribly fussed about the head.  The proportions look a bit off, I like Math's post about it looking like a caricature.  I think the main reason for my dislike is that it just doesn't exude any menace at all.  All the masters I can think of, just look fearsome, this one just looks a bit "special" with those eyes gazing up into the heavens and that left arm sleeve just dangling down...  It could just be the angle, and I'm going to hold reserve until I see it from the other angles, and read the fluff.  I'll almost definitely buy the box anyways depending on the other models, but I also already had an idea to kind of make my own version anyways based off the girl from the Jorogumo description.

7 hours ago, Tawg said:

wut.jpg

It's funny though, as soon as I started reading your imaginary scene, the first thing I thought of when I got to here:

was

"tendrils of animated hair."

Funny stuff though.  Huh, this makes me wonder how long until Jorogumo's get a model, and or now many to a box.  They seem like a 1-per box type, don't you think?  Kind of unfortunate, but I've been interested in them since that book dropped, uuuguuu~ Last Blossom minions :mellow:

Jorogumo re due out in July according to the upcoming page. http://www.wyrd-games.net/upcoming-releases

1 hour ago, Armour said:

Not sure if its kosher for me to link, but the lovably obsessive folks at DakkaDakka found box art for a whole lot of Wave 3 boxes, Jorogumo in a box of 3 among them: Post with jorogumo

A few posts up there are most of the other Wave 3 boxes, though no Emissaries yet.  

May a mod slap me down if these aren't supposed to be up anywhere yet! :D 

Well, they showed off the render of all the Emissaries on Monday previews.

As far as when they are coming out: Brutal and Hodgepodge in July. Carrion and Lucky in August. Arcane in September.

The "caricature," off-proportion, or other complaints regarding the current view we have Asami are not bothering me.  The impression I have is that this is an Oni (a non-human creature, sometimes generalized as a demon) trying to pose as a human as best she can without a true understanding of the shape/proportion of the body.  She is not a mimic/doppleganger, so she is not able to pull it off completely. 

As it appears by Nathan's veiled post and observations by others, she is Wyrd's take on a futakuchi-onna.  The face we are seeing is a decoy that is enough to get people to come into her grasp, before she spins around and the hair grabs them to pull them into her gaping maw that we are suspecting is there.  It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be good enough to get people into range.  Like a fishing lure.

I've seen enough anime that have featured similar "demons," to not be bothered by this and to find the aesthetic actually working quite well for the (presumed) features of the character. 

Yes, she does look a bit simple and too sweet - the long sleeves somehow makes me think about the long sleeves used by chinese dancers - but on the other hand Gaara in Naruto looks like this emo kid before he transforms into a badass sandmonster. So, when we get to see the backside of this Oni-girl I'm sure we'll like her better! Besides, one can always modify or paint her to look more menacing. I for one won't give her normal flesh, onis are supposed to have diff colors :)

4 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Three? Holy shorts! Hope at least one is female so I can convert/paint her to look like the Vagary from Doom 3 (thanks, Matt!).

4 hours ago, Da Git said:

there was also a picture on Facebook showing three renders on the back, then rumour has it that it might drop down to two... as they also removed the renders from the picture on the upcoming releases page.  I really hope it stays at three as all of the renders are really cool!  They are all male too.

I'm  hoping wyrd will do a female  as an alternate if it's true they're  all  males like what they did with miss step or terious. I'm  envisioning a spider themed  army now. There's  a  lot  of  spider like creations spread over the different factions. *sigh* Now I have to go make a list.:P

4 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

This isn't a 100% confirmation but a pretty strong indication that there will be three to the box:

http://www.thewarstore.com/product106360.html

damn, if you are right I  might have preordered a bit too soon at my FLGS ... went for two boxes

but then again - my hobbytable will look pretty intimidating flooded by six evil spider-creatures on big bases

5 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Three? Holy shorts! Hope at least one is female so I can convert/paint her to look like the Vagary from Doom 3 (thanks, Matt!).

at least the preview looks like it's all male ... but I might use (upper) bodies of Oiran or Ronin to convert my own female version(s) - waiting for the Minis to check which size the conversion parts need to have

concerning Asami Tanaka  (maybe some kind of relation to Ka - Tanaka clan) ... I just realized I have another Kirai lying around (got the crewbox twice to get parts for some conversions) - maybe I borrow Kirai's face for Asami ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eclipse said:

Booyah and Amen. Brewmaster would like to drink to that.

If there are legit 3 in a box, I will be fielding 3.  Soulstones be damned.

Hell, if there aren't 3 in a box, I'm probably just buying two boxes (Or converting some extra).

• Like 1

I think the idea of a summoner would be neat with her wrath of the oni ability. If they were really small bodies like 2-3 soulstone you could throw them at the enemy and have them charge despite being slow. One might also assume Asami would have some healing capabilities, or said summons could have a trigger to heal nearby oni. 

Ah, speculation season truly is the best.

• Like 1