Map of Malifaux City: Points of Interest

Grimcleaver

So in the Fated Almanac there's a big beautiful map of Malifaux City with an impressive sounding list of locations numbered off to the side. I'm currently running (and panic researching) the setting and so I'm interested in all the information there is about any of these spots. A lot of them are pretty self explanatory: Malifaux Station, no big mystery there. Others are downright intriguing: The Ruined Observatory? The Malifaux Exploration Society? Those sound awesome. What are they? Has anything been put out for any of them?

Also in case folks are interested, I've crunched some numbers with regard to the city. It's vaguely football shaped, so we'll talk about it like that--from point to point Malifaux is 36 miles long and at it's widest point around the middle it's 25 miles, which by the way I love that the scale of the map is set to 3 miles to an inch, because human footspeed is 3 mph average, and wagons are about 6--so working out travel times with this map just couldn't be better!

The river is wide, but not unbelievably so, at about a mile and a half across average (for comparison, the Amazon River is 6 miles across). This is roughly the same width as the Detroit River. What this means is that the bridges across the River in Malifaux are huge, requiring 15 minutes to cross by carriage and half an hour on foot.

I love maps. And I'm a nerd.

• Like 4

I think a lot of those places have been covered in the fluff in the 1st and 1.5 edition rulebooks.

It would be cool to compile them together it a "Tourists guide to Malifaux" style book or document though. Compiling references could be a community driven project :)

• Like 1

Well I'm currently wading through the fiction so hopefully I'll get to it--I've acquired all the versions of the Malifaux skirmish rules, the two core books for Through the Breach, Shifting Loyalties, a handful of Penny Dreadfuls, all the Chronicles, all the Breachside Broadcast aethercast shows.

I'll see where (and how old) I am after I'm done reading all that.

Yikes. 

• Like 1

Sparksman: Something like a Locals' Guide would be really fun. I totally get wanting to have something spoiler light for folks who want to get their bearings but not know more than they would in character--actually a really good idea.

It'd be cool to set it up with a bit of a timeline as well. One thing that gets hard is figuring out what stuff happens to who at what time. That can get really frustrating for those of us who are fairly new to the mythology and are trying to keep our Kytheras and Nytheras all neat and tidy.

• Like 1

Awesome! Thank you thank you.

So is each Book (Rising Powers, Twisting Fates, Storm of Shadows) set about a year apart?

Do we know a year on Shifting Loyalties? (Is there a series of other "adventures" like that one? It was pretty mind blowing...)

Do the Penny Dreadfuls happen in any particular order in relation to each other or era in relation to the other books (Nythera, obviously, would be 1906, but the others?)

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grimcleaver said:

Do we know a year on Shifting Loyalties? (Is there a series of other "adventures" like that one? It was pretty mind blowing...)

Do the Penny Dreadfuls happen in any particular order in relation to each other or era in relation to the other books (Nythera, obviously, would be 1906, but the others?)

Thanks!

Shifting Loyalties and Nythera are both 1906.

In Defense of Innocence, Northern Aggression, and A Night in Rottenburg are all "timeline independent."  And really, if you play Nythera as set in some other time, the date isn't really a big deal in the grand scheme of things of the adventure.

• Like 1

On 12/05/2016 at 8:01 PM, Grimcleaver said:

Also in case folks are interested, I've crunched some numbers with regard to the city. It's vaguely football shaped, so we'll talk about it like that--from point to point Malifaux is 36 miles long and at it's widest point around the middle it's 25 miles, which by the way I love that the scale of the map is set to 3 miles to an inch, because human footspeed is 3 mph average, and wagons are about 6--so working out travel times with this map just couldn't be better!

Also, maybe we could do a transport section. There's the rail, and foot, but there's also skycars, horses, and gyro-carriages (Crossroards). These would have approximate costs and things like the Sky-car might need a map too..