Sycorax's Bayou Board

sycorax

Cheers guys! Much appreciated. Glad you like it. 

@snitchythedog 

Bang on with the Envirotex Lite. There's a long and heartbreaking story attached to the build of this board that ended up with me resorting to using Envirotex. Glad I did because it's downright amazing stuff. I wouldn't use anything else now. Touch expensive but worth every penny. Highly recommend it for any water work. Eventually all my Gremlins will be getting their bases done with it. 

The channels themselves are about half an inch at it's deepest from the bottom to the water surface, it's deceptive as the channels were painted with layered colours down to near black at the centre to imply depth. But half an inch is still a helluva lot for envirotex! 

It was all one slow steady pour, multiple bottles at once of course. I think it was 64 fl oz in total to cover the entire 3x3 to the depth i wanted. 

In hindsight, or if i ever do something similar again (commission terrain work is available ;-) ) I'd make the channels even shallower, so I could use alot less. 

Syc

• Like 2

They are from 4ground. From their City of Mordanburg range. I picked them up at Salute 2015, for a not unreasonable price.

They are great. Fun to build, pre painted, perfectly sized and can be taken apart to move models around inside.  

And I haven't glued them down so I can use them on other boards or move them around as needs be. 

Syc

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2016 at 8:44 PM, Franchute said:

Which product do you use for the water effects?

On 18/06/2016 at 7:21 PM, sycorax said:

@Franchute It's Envirotex Lite. Fantastic stuff. Wouldn't recommend anything else for water effects anymore. Follow the instructions and you can't go wrong.

Sorry, I just saw this thread again.  For those who have not used envirotex lite there is a good primer on the Hirst arts website. Linkey

It is great stuff.  The big thing is to remember it is resin and does generate some heat from the chemical reaction when it is setting up.  Deep pours can get hot enough to melt foam surfaces even under your surface texture.  Just a tip from someone who managed to destroy a whole table a few years back in one pour.  :(  Set me back about three weeks of work and almost a hundred dollars. 

Again Sycorax very impressive build. 

Snitchy sends.