Greetings All

New Malifaux player here. I have the Rasputina and Bayou Boss boxes. I also got the Mother of Monsters box for my girlfriend.

Unfortunately, we have only had the opportunity to place once, due to work schedules, etc. and the closest LGS to me is a bit away. So, suffice it to say, I don't have a lot of chances to play.

I have 3 general questions:

1. Was anyone else as frustrated as I was, putting the bayou gremlins together? Like, that was the most infuriating thing I have done in a long time. Those pieces are too small - it takes the fun out of it.

2. How do you guys decide to do your painting/schemes on your models? I know Wyrd is a smaller company, and it isn't 40k or WarmaHordes, but I feel like the "official color" paint sets that those other games use could be really helpful - especially to people new to the hobby like I am.

3. Since I do not have a lot of chances to play, I discovered Vassal. Is there an active Malifaux Vassal community here? Is there a guide on how to use it? Would anyone be willing to teach? I really, really want to play this game. And if I cannot play in person regularly, I'd love to play online. I'm available, essentially, all-day Monday's and Wednesday's EST.

I look forward to the discussions and gaming in the future.

Cheers!

*Edit*

I'm located in Atlanta, Georgia - looking for local players as well.

• Like 1

Welcome

1 There are plenty of people who also struggled putting together the bayou gremlins. You only have to do it once though (until you decide you want to use his bayou gremlin summoning upgrade, and that you need to buy another box of gremlins, but at least you'll be prepared for it)

2 Wyrd doesn't sell paints, so you're not going to find a paint set like that. They have recently hired a painter, so that once again they will have painted models. There are also several painting guides in their Chronicles magazine that is free to download. 

3 I know there is a Malifaux Vassel thread in the Malifaux section, but I've never played Vassel games. Its certainly been very popular at times, with reagular league and such going on. Not sure if they still happen but you should still find plenty of people there. 

• Like 1

1. This is a known issue, a lot of Wyrd minatures (especially the older plastic kits, like the Bayou Gremlins) contain LOTS of TINY bits, but Wyrds Blueprints and GMorts unboxing articles can help a lot. Wyrd has gotten better at it although some recent releases have issues too (Insidious Madness and Large Steam Arachnid).

2. Army Painter has cheap and decent paints, plus some starter sets. Citadel Hobby (Games Workshop) has slightly more expensive paints and starter sets. Formula P3 (Privateer Press) is in the same price range and quality as Citadel Hobby, but their sets are themed specifically for their own games, so they might not be that useful for Malifaux (although the Cryx, Mercenary and Circle sets combined could work for Gremlins). There are other paint companies, like Vallejo, but I've no experience with them.

Alternatively asking people for recipies on their threads in the Miniature Showcase forums and picking up the paints they recommend is a good way to get started too. You'll probably see that a lot of the good painters pick and choose their paints from all the paint companies, picking whatever company makes the best version of a certain colour.

Welcome, Skarr! What part of Atlanta are you in? There is a pretty active group at Giga-Bites in Marietta on Friday nights and some Wednesdays, and I'm pretty sure there's also some regular activity in the Norcross area. @Kad Bazis our local Henchman and can probably provide more information.

1. Yes indeed. As a Ten Thunders player, I haven't had to deal with many Gremlins, but Wyrd has their share of evil models in all factions. (Thunder Archers...shudder.) But as @Munindksays, they are getting better. And it does get easier with experience.

2. The only thing close to an official paint scheme is the primary color for each faction - blue for Arcanists, purple for Neverborn, brownish-green for Gremlins, etc. But since Malifaux forces are less "armies" and more "groups of like-minded individuals," there really isn't a standard paint scheme; go with what you like. The Miniatures Showcase here is definitely a good resource for ideas, as is the A Wyrd Place group on Facebook.

3. I like playing by Vassal when I can, and would be glad to teach - feel free to PM me. The Vassal forum area @Adranmentioned is here. If you're on Facebook, it's also definitely worth looking at the Malifaux Vassal Players group. 

Welcome to Malifaux!

• Like 1