Is puppet wars dead and gone?

Hey all, 

Just wondering after looking through the contents of the my unstitched box as to whether anything is planned for the future of puppet wars as the box just feels like its aching for updated content and expansions... 

I hope theres some sort of reboot or revival planned but part of me fears that it has simply died and been left to stink up the place like a dead mouse stuck behind a sofa... 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

I've always felt it was just a little too similar to Malifaux.  Despite being full of neat ideas, its too much of a hobby investment to appeal to the board game crowd, and too much of a board game to appeal to the hobby crowd.  It was actually what first caught my interest, but the amount of work involved felt better spent trying Malifaux instead.

I think its got serious potential, but it would need some rethinking.  I think it would need to be done in that pre-assembled board game quality plastic and have the models organized a little clearer to draw in a unique audience.  That said, given that Wyrd seems to have dropped the website entirely, I'd assume there's not much hope in the future of the line for the time being.

10 hours ago, LunarSol said:

I've always felt it was just a little too similar to Malifaux.

I can not disagree with this more, aside from the use of cards and similar suits the games are completely different.

10 hours ago, LunarSol said:

That said, given that Wyrd seems to have dropped the website entirely, I'd assume there's not much hope in the future of the line for the time being.

This I unfortunately have to agree with. Too bad since Unstitiched isn't really in a finished state with what was previously available for the original version of Puppet Wars.

If you want, you can hit the customer support button to complain about the Puppet Wars site problem.  When I did it back in February, this is the response I got:

Good morning. Unfortunately, this is a known issue and we have a team working to fix the problem.

Kindest regards,
Wyrd Customer Support.

Even though there's a mirrored version of the Puppet Wars crew creator in the Internet Archive (and it's functional), my guess is that the PHP files are rigged up to dynamically generate the page from a SQL or MySQL database somewhere, and that it's stuck somewhere between "Someone has to spend X hours figuring out where all of the parts go on the new site" and "Spend Y hours redoing the thing" with the project management snag of "So what do we do about the rest of the site, like the product lineup and the gallery and such?  That's Z more hours of work to update."

But I'm a complete pessimist about project management.  :mellow:

I know when I ordered my copy of Unstitched through the local game store, there was actually a bit of surprise and disbelief involved.  And it actually took two tries, but I think there was an unrelated dropped message somewhere.

A bigger shame is that there are stats for Puppets that haven't been published in plastic (and a few that were never published in metal either). Would like to see them at least finish out what was already available in the original edition for the new plastic Unstitiched version.

It really is a nice game with a lot of still untapped potential. I know the games I have played using my terraclips sets instead of the supplied board and with house rules for stairs were amazingly fun.

• Like 3