May 2 - Malifaux Vintage

4 hours ago, Da O&F Git said:

I can't speak for others, but I imagine there are people in similar boats as myself & I can see where you're coming from @Myyräbut;

A). Wyrd products are not sold in Japan (at least not in Kyoto anyways)
B). There is no Japanese rules, so it is very difficult to form a player base
C). I don't speak Japanese, so I can't really introduce the game to other players & basically play on Vassel.

You might ask why do I want the miniatures then, well, I'm a collector first & foremost (much to my wife's disgust!) & simply want them in said collection.

I like the idea of making them Mystery boxes for now, and opening them up at either the Gencon or Black Friday Sales. I really wish Wyrd would do this and let us know so the scalpers don't fleece us poor sods whom can't attend events or become Henchman...

I purchase Wyrd products from a seller in Kyushu, have been pretty happy with ordering from them (Ringtail), and they have an English web store available. They've also got a reference sheet in Japanese for helping teach the rules thats available on their site. It doesn't solve the problem but I just thought either of those things might be helpful!

• Like 4

@Cinnamon Bear

Thanks heaps for those!  I just had a look on their site, looks pretty good!  I usually just order at Gencon & Black Friday, so if you ever want to split an order let me know!

Just to keep it on topic, I really do hope these come out for sale at either Gencon or Black Friday for those people whom can't attend events!

25 minutes ago, Blood_stained_lilies said:

Please make these regular purchase items. My work schedule doesn't allow me to go to tournaments or conventions and I don't want to have to pay scalpers 2-3 times the price just to get a old sculpt in plastic.

They're not really 'old sculpts'. They've had some redesign, which means they're likely done from scratch and inspired by the old sculpts. The Ghosts on Pandoras base are different to the Avatar forms tentacles, the box is on the ground rather than being held, and her model is posed different as well. So'mer is missing his nose, in accordance with the new aesthetic, and is posed slightly differently.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, -Loki- said:

They're not really 'old sculpts'. They've had some redesign, which means they're likely done from scratch and inspired by the old sculpts. The Ghosts on Pandoras base are different to the Avatar forms tentacles, the box is on the ground rather than being held, and her model is posed different as well. So'mer is missing his nose, in accordance with the new aesthetic, and is posed slightly differently.

The Vintage Pandora appears to be based on the old "I refuse to admit the existence of metal fatigue" Avatar Pandora design.

(Image links copy/pasted from other people on the forum who posted images of the models.)

I've found this one listed as Pandora, Bringer of Woe, Avatar Form:

IMGP1677.jpg

and this one listed as Pandora, Avatar of Insanity:

SDC10391.jpg

So, it looks like this Vintage Pandora is a cross between.  A pretty big redesign either way.

• Like 3

My biggest complaint is how to get them.

I live in Oregon, specifically the Portland area; and based on the maps and things not only are there no events or anything in this area, but there are NO HENCHMEN AT ALL.

While I'd love to offer my services as a henchman, I'm not exactly established enough in the game(still a LOT to learn and a lot of supplies to buy) to do that.

I think buried somewhere in the middle of this thread is a post by Mr. Caroland saying that we should wait to be angry about all of this until the actual details are announced.

Because I don't think the quote is going to show properly:

The amount of assumptions folks make, one way or another, and the ensuing conversations that turn into arguments, personal attacks and drama flat out amazes me some days. Normally I can ignore it well enough. Not in the mood to today. 

Save the pitchforks and torches, and please don't presume to make broad statements on what we are or aren't doing as if you're part of the office conversation that took place. These are several months off from even being put into circulation and to use in various ways that they are intended. Feel free to conjecture, even offer opinion, but don't dig yourself in and fight to verbal death because 'you know'. 

• Like 2

I don't begrudge there being neat things that I'm somewhat unlikely to possess. I would like that Pandora and maybe that Somer as well but I'm guessing that they'll be like twenty Guilders so I'll have enough in the year 2022 or something.

But I do like the idea, I do like the minis chosen aside from Sonnia and I think that giving out limited edition stuff as prize support is a good idea. I don't understand the "need" expressed by some people (but then again I also don't condone the tone used by some of the people who are ostensibly agreeing with my view - kinda disappointed in how aggressive and rude some were towards their fellow Malifaux enthusiasts - makes me sad).

• Like 4

Awesome sculpts!

I really hope they become available during BF/Easter/GenCon sales as well, but I think this is a great direction for Malifaux going forward. There's been talk of "release fatigue", with some people saying we won't be able to paint up and play games with new minis before new ones are released, and I think releasing a slew of alternate versions, old fan favourites (or Nathan-favourites) is a great way of releasing new and interseting stuff without changing the landscape to quickly. Especially with the larger scope Earth-side game looming on the horizon. More story encounter boxes and more alternate editions (hopefully some available through retail as well) could be the way forward generating interest without becomming the game it's impossible to keep up with...

8 hours ago, Kyris said:

I live in Oregon, specifically the Portland area; and based on the maps and things not only are there no events or anything in this area, but there are NO HENCHMEN AT ALL.

While I'd love to offer my services as a henchman, I'm not exactly established enough in the game(still a LOT to learn and a lot of supplies to buy) to do that.

There are things going on:

They just had like a 40 person tournament last weekend in Portland. Guardian Games also does open play on Friday nights: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/render?eid=cGxzdm5oOWd1Mmc1MTgwbjJ0NWI0bGJrM2dfMjAxNjA1MDdUMDEwMDAwWiBhZG1pbkBndWFyZGlhbmdhbWVzcG9ydGxhbmQuY29t&ctz=America/Los_Angeles&sf=true&output=xml#eventpage_6

I've been to Portland and met Malifaux players there and at Red... Castle... or something like that, as well as a few Henchmen (some of whom podcast). It can be hard to connect with people sometimes, but keep searching, they're out there!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kyris said:

/Dons Sarcasm Hat

For the record, both the Before We Begin and Mistakes Were Made podcasts are based in Portland. That means you have a Rudy and a Dan in your area, which makes a good deal of the Malifaux Community a little jealous as they are both stand-up gentlemen as well as huge proponents of the community.

Head over to Guardian Games for beerlifaux and ask for Rudy.

Rudy, turn in your paperwork!

Also, these rereleases are making my inner fan boy giggle. Super stoked to see these!

• Like 2

To be fair, saying 'just go play henchman run events' isn't always helpful. I paid to play in a henchman run slow grow recently, and rather than using a Wyrd event prize pack, they used the money to buy product from the store for prizes. While I support this - it supports the store, afterall - it also means there were no guilders to give out.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...