modular boards and stopping slippage

graeme27uk

How do you prevent modular boards from slipping apart during play? Do you use doweling rods / magnets / velcro?

I can see modular boards of 9 1x1ft square being easy to store but having it "fall apart" during play would be annoying. Guess you could do 4x 18" squares. 

I think it depends on your setup. Something simple like dowels or magnets can work. Alternatively, if setting the tiles on a flat surface you could attach something to the underside. There are adhesive footpads for things like lamps, or maybe the liner for a cupboard cut to shape with some spray adhesive.

Edit: I saw this thread before the other one. There is good advice over there.

Edited by Nymie_the_Pooh
Saw identical thread.

I just made a modular board, and am using a combination of magnets and screws to keep it together. The real key is that everything needs to be perfectly square. So I cut everything at the same time on a table saw to ensure that any slight error in setup on my part wouldn't translate to the final board. The board consists of several 12" x 12" squares and several 6" x 6" squares. To make the connections, I used a magnet on one end of each side, and a screw on the other. 

Here's a picture of my completed board...

board1.png

Here's a pic with one of the 6" sections removed...

board2.png

And here's a closeup of one of the 12" sections...

board3.png

On the 6" x 6" tiles I am using 1/8" cubed neodymium magnets. And on the 12" x 12" tiles I'm using 3/16" cubed neodymium magnets. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...