Tricks to painting the eyes on malifaux figures?

Griffin839

I am struggling. Eyes are the most important feature of a miniature, but the M2E eyes are proportional, and as a result very very tiny. I have a hard time just finding the modeled eyes after a layer of primer and a couple thin layers of base coat. Then if I do find them, just getting the pupils where I want is a nightmare. I keep getting Googley eyed figures. I need advice please. This is frustrating.

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Personally, I'm in the "I'm not going to paint the eyes, at all, unless the model has its eyes open in shock" school of figure painting.  :)

But there are a few different strategies discussed in this thread:

I am sorry but I do not see the thread you are talking about. Only an empty white box.

If you can't find the eyes you need to prime less heavily and thin your paint more.

As for the actual eyes I use the paint the entire eye dark and then put light paint in the corners of the eyes (it's a common technique so google for tutorials if you want them) and then I repaint it (and the skin around the eye) a gazillion times until it gets right. With properly thinned paint this wont obscure the detail. It helps a lot to have a brush with a good point (i.e. not too worn), the point is much more important than the size (which is a matter of taste) of the brush.

It can help to have a headband loupe, off the shelf reading glasses is the budget version.

Any kind of "monster" or otherwise otherworldly model can be given solid colour eye, glow effects optional. Really squinty eyes I just shade like any other skin fold.

• 3 weeks later...