Stacking Damage Prevention

Romes

Question

I have Joss, who has armor 2 and imbued protection, and is at 1 life, take 4 damage.

Scenario 1. Damage is reduced by 2, to 2, I stone and get an 8. 0 Damage taken.

Scenario 2. I'm out of stones, 4 comes in again. Can I order the reduction to have armor reduce damage to 2, and the sac imbued protection to reduce to 0, or, do they happen simultaneously, in which case armor can't reduce it below one?

In both cases I've been playing it as though I can't reduce to 0 anytime armor is involved. I was just corrected that I can when stones are in play, but we're not sure about imbued protection. Does anyone know the answer for sure with a text source that confirm this?

I'd certainly like to be able to, but don't want to unless I'm 100% sure it works.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Apply everything in its proper order.  Don't think that Armor's "to a minimum of 1" clause is contagious. 

Imbued Protection gives you this:

Salvation: When this model suffers damage, it may discard this Upgrade to reduce the damage by 2.

Armor gives:

Armor +X: Reduce all damage suffered by this model by +X, to a minimum of 1.

Those are both modification by a static value, which the damage flip instructions say to apply directly:

If damage is modified by a static value (such as the Armor Ability, or a Trigger), the final damage after the damage flip is modified.

Because those happen at the same time and are on the same model, you have to choose which order to resolve them in.  (General Timing is supposed to make that clear, but doesn't say so explicitly for all of the cases.)  When the model suffers 4 damage, that gives you two sequences to resolve the two Abilities:

1.  Resolve Armor, then resolve Salvation.  Armor reduces the damage from 4 to 2.  Then Salvation reduces it from 2 to 0. 

2.  Resolve Salvation then resolve Armor.  Salvation reduces the damage from 4 to 2.  Then Armor reduces it from 2 to 1 (since Armor +2 reduces it by 2 to a minimum of 1).

Usually, sequence #1 is going to be the better choice.  :)  Again, Armor's "to a minimum of 1" clause isn't contagious, it's a limitation to Armor when you're resolving Armor.

After resolving the damage reduction abilities, then you apply damage prevention (using a soul stone to prevent damage).  Because the timing specified is "After determining how much damage the Master or Henchman model would take, but before applying the damage".

Hard to Kill resolves last because it doesn't modify the amount of damage suffered, it modifies the amount of damage recorded on the model (or it modifies the final result):

Hard to Kill: While this model has 2 or more Wd remaining when it suffers damage, it may only be reduced to 1 Wd by a single damage source.

The other reason why that doesn't apply before damage prevention because it's not modifying by a static value.

P.S:  Damage prevention and damage reduction are different terms.  Armor and Salvation are damage reduction.  Soul stone use is damage prevention.  Hard to Kill is neither (as far I can tell, anyway).  The distinction matters for things like Poison which can't be reduced but can be prevented.

• Like 1

First of all would act the armor, is an ability so is not something you choose. You are gonna still suffering damage, so you can discard the imbued energies to reduce the damage in 2, (not to a minimun of 1, that is only for armor). At the end if you are still suffering damage, you can spend a soulstone to prevent, and yes, you can prevent to a minimun of 0.