Shifting Loyalties Campaign

Baltohdoalim

This will be my attempt to log the six-week campaign that recently started at my LGS. I intend to edit after each week to keep the completed report here at the top.

Before the campaign began, I had a hard time settling on a crew. I've been playing almost 2 years and my collection of models grew way more than anticipated (shocking! right?). I had it boiled down to 3 henchman to lead my glory-seekers.

Spawn Mother, with her ability to poop out reliable, disposable schemers each turn. Joss and his heavy-hitting friends. And Datsue Ba leading a crew of vengeful spirits.

Going ressers seemed enticing primarily because I'm so close to having the crew painted, it would be good motivation to finish. Ultimately, I was worried about my fragile minions being annihilated.

Joss brings what Joss always brings to the table every game. A tank who murders almost anything in his way. Following that idea, he would have lead Howard and the Rail Golem into glorious bloodbaths. However, I knew the list would struggle running and denying schemes.

So, I chose the swampfiends. Both as a return to my roots (first crew but they haven't seen a table in months) and because I enjoy the fluff I've created for them most.

After a long, exhausting scrying session, Zoraida's head whipped back, her eyes pointed towards the ceiling as the clouds in them dissipated. "It's true!" she whispered to herself, "And it will be mine." With something this sensitive, she could not go about her usual means of acquiring her prize. Her sisters had been keeping a closer eye than usual on her activities. It seemed everyday she heard the flapping of leathery, nephilim wings over her cottage in the swamp.

She opened the door of her hut and breathed deep the sticky swamp air. "LeeRoy! Ricardo!" she called, " Come 'ere boys!" Soon, two dark figures emerged from the woods; making no sound as they approached their master. 

"Ah, my favorite pets." she cooed as she patted their skulls and massaged their chins. "Mama's got a chore for you two." Zoraida turned back to her cottage and stepped inside. Her silurids waited obediently on the porch. A minute later she returned with a satchel. She slung it over the head and shoulder of one of her pets and told them both, "Seek out that filthy man who makes his home among the gremlins. He shouldn't be hard to track. Give him this and accompany him on his mission until he returns to me." Zoraida pulled a stained piece of cloth from her garbs and held it to their noses. Each took a couple sniffs, lifted their heads and began sniffing the air, turning their heads all around. "Go now, be swift, there isn't much time."

With that, the silurids disappeared into the dense swamp. Zoraida stood, staring for some time into the deep woods. Once she could no longer sense them, she turned back inside, "So much to do...so much to do"

McTavish had just returned from frog-gigging with a few of his gremlin neighbors. As much as he tried teaching them how to cook the frogs, the green bastards would just eat them right from the traps. If that wasn't enough, the sly hooligans would steal the frogs McTavish had stored right off his belt. Before he could even protest they would slurp the treat down right in front of him.

Frustrated with his poor haul, McTavish muttered curses under his breath as he sat by his campfire cleaning guts from the four frogs he made out with. He lowered himself to blow air into the embers to get his fire ready to cook. When he lifted himself up, McTavish could feel eyes on him. Immediately his hands found his trusty hunting rifle. In one motion, he whipped it off his shoulder, turned around, and found two familiar figures at the other end of the barrel. Just as quick as he had been to ready to fight, he lowered his weapon and slung it back over his shoulder. With a huge smile he threw himself at the silurids and gathered them both in a crushing hug.

"Ricky 'ow you be boy? Lookin' affer your bro LeeRoy 'ere?" McTavish was happy to see the kin he had seen hatched from the abandoned eggs he had found so many years ago. "That ol' hag treatin' ya well?" Ricardo nodded his head down, pointing towards the satchel swinging by his chest. The other silurid grabbed the satchel of his brother's neck and dropped it at the hunter's feet.

McTavish picked up the bag, "Well what we got 'ere then?" He opened it up and his eyes grew wide. Reaching both hands in, he pulled out the biggest clutch of soulstones he had ever possessed. Buried within the pile was a folded piece of parchment. Carefully setting the stones aside, McTavish opened the letter from Zoraida:

"McTavish. I have found the monster that we all thought was myth. But she's real. The Albino Spawn Mother. She is in the far-southern swamps. I require your assistance in bringing her to me. LeeRoy and Ricardo will accompany you. Use the stones as you see fit, there are more for you when you complete this task. You must not delay. Time is of the essence. Bring her to me in two months time, or don't dare show your face in my swamp again."

Sorry that got a bit long. So my crew begins with McTavish taming the fabled Spawn Mother, now they are working their way back to Zoraida.

Starting crew:

(Leader)Spawn Mother. Protect the Young

McTavish

2x Silurids

Week 1:Game 1

Up against Kang leading a group of Ten Thunders. We meet in a desert, devoid of much cover. Squatter's Rights and his sniper starts out perched between two markers on a cliff along the center. LeeRoy knows he can't kill the sniper but will give it his best, at least tie him up so the rest of the crew can move safely the first turn. Kang charges up the board followed by Sidir. McTavish stands firm, ready to absorb the hit. After defending against the brunt of Kang's shovel, McTavish delivers a message to the oriental. Kang is confused and tries to deliver his own message, but the leader is the Spawn Mother, and she's on the other side of the field. Knowing this is the enemy'a scheme, she stops hatching gupps and uses the rest of her energy running as far as she can, successfully avoiding any enemy encounter. LeeRoy succumbs to the sniper and is the only one injured. The Ten Thunders didn't even suffer a scratch. Game ends in a tie 5-5. (I don't remember the other scheme either of us chose. LeeRoy's injury is Shaky Nerves so he can no longer charge. I find this ironic given he is LeeeeeRooooyy Jen..nevermind me.)

Week 1:Game 2

Feeling more at home in the swamp full of forests and severe terrain. The Captain shows up leading his group of Arcanists. The strategy is Reconnoiter with corner deployment. Once again, we must deliver a message, but it's Ricardo who finds The Captain. He was then able to leap away and help LeeRoy plant evidence in the backfield. Meanwhile, the Spawn Mother and McTavish hide in a forest near the center (but outside 6"). They along with gupps ensured I scored off the strategy each turn. A gunsmith moved up to threaten, but McTavish was able to put one right between her eyes. The arcanists stayed away from the woods after that and forged a line in the sand instead. Victory 10-5.

This week's event was Sinner's Prayer.

I was able to purchase Quick Reflexes and gave it to McTavish making him Df7! I also purchased a bounty and already mentioned LeeRoy's injury. Next week we will see the addition of Rufus, a friendly Bayou Gator. Until then....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to anyone who may have followed this. Life and work have taken over all priorities in the last few months. Sadly, I had to drop from the campaign. I was really looking forward to fielding Avatar Zoraida too....oh well. When life slows back down I will be sure to write some more.