A few questions for a new fatemaster

coco le belge

Hi all,

I am a new comer to the Malifaux world. I never played the miniature game and dont know much about the setting yet (looks great from what I have seen so far).
Nevertheless I would like to try out a small adventure with 2 players this week-end.
What adventure or campaign material is available so far?
I have seen "the Penny Dreadful" adventures and if I understand well those are one shots scenarios.
What adventure would you recommend for a start?  Looking for a 4-6 hour session.
Could you confirm that Penny Dreadful is a real tabletop RPG and not a hybrid RPG/miniature mix game ( as it's the case for Iron kingdoms - my point of vue :)  ).

Can I find somewhere a free starter rule guide and demo adventure?
From what I understand the game plays using a special deck of cards. What is the complexity of the rules? I am looking for something rather light.

DriveThruRPG has pretty much everything currently available. We have many one-shot adventures available for only $5 digital download. Look for Penny Dreadful One-Shots. Alternatively, there are bigger, 4 session Penny Dreadfuls available.

If you want to stay cheap, Wyrd Chronicles is a free magazine that is released every other month and contains one-shot adventures. I'd recommend you try downloading a few of the more recent ones and glancing at those adventures -- again, you can find them on DriveThruRPG.

I can confirm that the RPG is not a hybrid game, and Penny Dreadfuls do not use any sort of minis. You can absolutely use minis if you'd like, but they are not necessary.

The game uses a deck of cards. The rules are pretty simple -- largely just flip a card, add some values, and try to hit a target number. I would consider most of it fairly light, but it's by no means a rules-light game. It is easy to learn, easy to teach, and quick to play... but it's also not a 5 page rules document :)

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coco le belge said:

Thanks for the quick reply.
What adventure would you recommend as an intro?

Recruitment Drive was originally written as a Free RPG Day Adventure, and it includes some pregenerated characters that will give new players an idea of how the game plays out before they try making their own characters. The fights aren't too tough, so it gives new players a chance to get accustomed to the setting without massive casualties.

Similarly, Legacy of Darkness was written as a GenCon convention adventure and also contains pregenerated characters. It also introduces characters to the world of Malifaux a bit more than other adventures, as it starts on Earth and then brings them Through the Breach and into Malifaux. This lets the players discover the world right alongside their characters, which can be fun.