primer issue

Fhqwhgadds

In an attempt to start painting my doug crew, I goofed up and got too much on doug and one of the nurses is all grainy. It's likely due to the primer being old :/. Anyway, I am having an issue removing the primer now, I have soaked poor ol' doug in simple green for days with nothing to show for. I have read a number of other solutions that I would like some input on. Super clean I have heard is similar to simple green but better? There is the brake fluid route but I cannot find a good answer on how long do it soak the model and if it is rough on plastic, additionally, I would rather not use a toxic solution. I have also read that rubbing alcohol works? Appreciate your time 

I have used paint thinner (spirit based) and a toothbrush quite effectively, which is probably similar to rubbing alcohol. With metal models it's fine and I've tried on plastics as well, but not with the exact plastic wyrd use. You could try having a go at some spue with it to see how rough it is on the plastic before trying it on any models.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08.04.2016 at 3:47 PM, Fhqwhgadds said:

Efficiency of soft solvents like ethanol, rubbing alcohol, whitespirit and others depends on type of primer you have used. But I'm in doubt that they'll help if you say that Simple Green did nothing.

I'd recommend braking fluid (DOT4 or DOT3, the second one being better). It won't harm the plastic besides bleaching it a bit. It can soften the plastic, but don't be afraid - miniature would harden again when fluid evaporates. It will dissolve any acrylic/nitrous hobby/automotive primer I ever know.

Don't waste your time on "soft" solvents. Don't buy whole can of braking fluid. You only need 100-150 cc. Try to find a garage, even used braking fluid will work well. Work in a good ventilated area or better outdoors. Sink miniature for 15-20 minutes, rub it with toothbrush. Rinse and repeat until you're satisfied. Don't apply force, better repeat the cycle with longer sinking time. Be warned that braking fluid should be discharged properly, local laws and responsibility wary from place to place.

May the 4th be with you! 

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same problem with my Dr. Grimwell.  The white primer I tried to use turned out like coarse talcum powder, and it was just too grainy to even paint over.

I soaked him in Simple Green for about 24 hours.  Then I took him out, rinsed him in warm water quickly, and tried to brush it off.  No go, wouldn't budge.  

Then I immediately dropped him into a bath of rubbing alcohol, just like you can buy at any CVS or Rite Aid (or Walgreens, etc etc).  I let him sit there for about 5 mins, but NO MORE.

When I pulled him out, a soft toothbrush took the primer off in one swipe.  I was amazed.  It practically fell off.

PS.  I don't know if the Simple Green step was necessary.  It was the first thing to try... it may or may not have softened up the primer so that the alcohol had better effect, I have no idea.

PPS. This was a brand new rattle can of Army Painter Matt White acrylic spray primer.

Good luck with your model.  I know how absolutely heartbroken I was when my Dr. Grimwell looked like he was made from coarse grain sugar, and I sincerely hope you manage to get it cleaned up.

I find the chalkiness a general problem with Army Painter's white primer.  I love their black, and of their colors that I've used, and their dull coat, but for some reason the white causes that chalky effect.  I tend to use the Privateer Press primer when I want white.

19 minutes ago, LunarSol said:

I find the chalkiness a general problem with Army Painter's white primer.  I love their black, and of their colors that I've used, and their dull coat, but for some reason the white causes that chalky effect.  I tend to use the Privateer Press primer when I want white.

I learned that lesson the hard way, apparently.  I can't help but agree.

It was spraying ok for about two figures, then suddenly it started sputtering and spewing paint globs, and then alternated between spraying pure (paint free) gas, and then sputtering small globs.  Not sure what happened, but I couldn't get it to do anything else.  I gave it 10 minutes to rest, shook it like I meant it, and tried it again... same problem.  Even tried clearing the nozzle for 10 seconds.  No improvement, just sprayed all gas for a few seconds, then some paint globs, then all gas again.  I had to toss it.  I had the same thing happen with a can of Goblin Green, but I was probably halfway through the can.

The Matt Black, Uniform Grey, and Ultramarine Blue cans have worked great, haven't had any problems.