3D Firewall tokens

Aeglos

Hello guys,

I want to make fire wall tokens for the lovely miss Criid. Until now I've been using 50mm bases with some flames printed on them, but they annoy me with their flatness :).

Does anyone here have any idea how to make some cool flamewall effects that can give a good 3D feel about them. I'm thinking of using hot silicone with 5mm thick cork and then drilling some effects into them, but I'm very interested at what the pros would do ^_^.

That could work. I do not have experience with silicone, but putty built up over cork would work so I fail to see right off why silicone would not serve just as well.

Another option involves cotton stuffing and a tea light. Take a wad of stuffing and tease one end out into thin wisps. Spray about half of it from the middle to the thicker end with red. Then spray the bottom (again the thick end) with black. Set on the base over one of those battery operated tea lights which flicker. You can spray some yellows in there before the red and some grae after the red if you want more variety in the transition.  You can drop the red and go with grae and black instead if you want it to look more smokey. It's not the prettiest way to make fire, but it is easy.

On 08/04/2016 at 0:40 PM, Aeglos said:

I'm thinking of using hot silicone with 5mm thick cork and then drilling some effects into them, but I'm very interested at what the pros would do ^_^.

Paint will not stick on the silicone.  You have a couple of options.  If you want the flexible fire effect then you can use latex caulking.  Just look for the paint-able caulking and you will have the right stuff.  Second option is to build up your flame with putties such as green stuff.  There are several tutorials on the internets for sculpting flame.  sculpting fire In both cases you will have to paint the fire effect.  Another option is to build up the fire with clear or inked resin.  if you cut out clear plastic from a blister pack in the shape of flames you can bulk them out using clear two part resin.  I have added a link to show the technique applied to making water in a fountain but the principal is the same.  Just scroll down to the fountain portion of the page. 

Hirst arts resin water toot

Hope that helps.

Snitchy sends

• Like 1

Hi Aeglos,

How about something like this?  I use it for flame walls with my Kaeris crew.

Spoiler

large.Flame_markers.jpg

I started with Wyrd's orange transparent 50 mm bases, and cut out the center of them.  I did this very carefully and slowly on a drill press, becasue the plastic is brittle.  I then used epoxy to attach to these some tea lights with flickering LEDs.  These were Hallowe'en lights, and so had an orange color to match the bases.  I ripped off a small dome cover over the LEDs because it looked at me funny (and because it was too large).  I bought some Reaper Bones orange flames, and drilled a hole in the bottom of the flame, just large enough to accept the LED.  I glued these to the top of the light, over the LED.  When I want to use them, I can access the power switch (and the battery case) from underneath---why I cut the base centers out.  The sit on the table flickering away, distracting and intimidating my opponent while Kaeris leaps with glee behind the flames.  At least, that's the way it plays out in my mind.  Cheers. 

• Like 2

Those are what I would recommend. If you are a bit bolder however, it isn't difficult to pull out the innards and make them lower profile so you dont have the big white base. After that you can either use Woodland Scenics Water Effect or clear silicon caulking to build up the flames to the correct height (you can tease them a bit by poking them with a toothpick and then pulling away in the direction you want eh flames to go, a slight twisting motion adds to the effect). If you go this route it will take more than a single session to get them to the correct height but in the end will be worth it. Also worth mentioning that a yellow glaze, red glaze, or both can also be added to tweek the coloring if desired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, prof_bycid said:

Hi Aeglos,

How about something like this?  I use it for flame walls with my Kaeris crew.

Kaeris' pyre markers does not hinder movement at all though (only having the blocking and hazardous traits) so it's not very practical to make them huge.

I'm going to try 2 things - over a real wall from cork :D then

1) adding hot silicone for flame effects

2) molding some caulking into the fire.

All this once I'm done with the painting that is...

I promise to post the end results if they are halfway decent and share my troubles with you guys. Thanks so much for the tips :).

On 8.04.2016 г. at 0:57 AM, lusciousmccabe said:

Alternatively you could just mount an actual tea light on a base and light it up when you need a flame wall. :D

Tried that - got blamed for being a pyromaniac again... My fame for being slightly obsessed with fire didn't help :D

11 hours ago, Bengt said:

Kaeris' pyre markers does not hinder movement at all though (only having the blocking and hazardous traits) so it's not very practical to make them huge.

A possible solution for that is to install a magnet in the firewalls base allowing it to detach from an appropriately sized marker (steal washers work great for this). That way you have a nice visual representation of the Flame wall showing the blocking and hazardous traits, while also allowing movement to stop on them when needed.

• Like 1