New Player, Starter Box Question

Velcro

Hey everyone! New to Malifaux but I've played Warmachines/Hordes for over 10 years. I'm kinda tired out and wanted to try Malifaux for awhile now, but I'm one of those faction A.D.D. guys and always second guessing my initial investment in games. That said...

My buddy is going Neverborn with Hide and Seek as his first box. I'm really torn here on what to get myself. Aesthetically I like Open Graves, Shadows of Redchapel, and Masters of the Path. But I've found that I need to invest a ton of cash into Nico for his huge list of summons or I won't get the most out of him, which is really disappointing. I really still don't understand what Seamus does because he kinda sounds like a summoner (nowhere near what Nico does) but at the same time his summons sound very limited in variety (mostly Belles?).

Another issue is that I enjoy pretty much any play style. I like summoning huge armies, I like gun lines, I like melee beatstick face smashing, I like magic slinging, I like quick assassins...

I'm so lost.

• Like 2

I'd get Seamus and McMourning for starters. Then you could get some all around useful pieces, like Yin, Izamu, Toshiro, Night Terrors, Doxies, etc. Should get you going, and when you eventually get to Nicodem you'll have a solid base... It seems Nicodem is where you really want you go, but it's not the most beginner friendly choice (that said you'll be able to compete just fine, you'll just probably find yourself more eager to expand faster than with some other masters). If you really want Nicodem, go Nicodem, otherwise I'd say Seamus is a great place to start...

Search for the thread on starting out with Nicodem, and various Seamus threads by Fetid Strumpet! :-)

• Like 1

Yeah I'd really like to do a Nico crew, but I just can't afford that kind of investment at the moment. I've read a lot on Nico and a little less on Seamus. They do sound fun, but I think I might have to situate my focus elsewhere for the time being.

Thanks for the reply tmod :)

Then I'd start out with Seamus and McMourning (dog and nurses) and go from there. Eventually you'll probably get around to Nico as well, but Seamus is a lot of fun. Not as much summoning, more movement tricks and murder, but fun anyhow. You could also expand with Molly and a box of Drowned, Seamus' box have nice synergies with Molly, and Crooligans and Drowned are all around useful... Molly is a summoner and buffer with somewhat more limited summoning than Nico, but just strong all around...

• Like 2

Seamus is a very good and competitive master, and his box is good place to start. He is the first master for a lot of resser-players out there. Summoning is not always good in this game and it can be abit of a trap when learning the game. The sequencing and activation-order is one of the most important elements of the game and I think its easier to learn this by not playing a dedicated summoner.

Resser is not the best faction to pick if you are on tight budget. Summoners demand models and if you are like the rest of us you will want all the options available quite soon after you start collecting. Ive played for a year now and have all available plastic resser models.. its like a drug...

As Tmod said, Seamus + Mcmourning Box are a great start. You might want to add a beatstick like Rogue Necromancy to that mix aswell. If you enjoy the game.. you will probably end up with more models then you have time to paint and play in half a year. =) Good luck

• Like 1

Masters of the path requires a few key purchases in the form of Izamu, Toshiro and Yin amongst others although their pretty cheap. 

Other than the required purchases I found Yan Lo to be an incredibly fun master and his play style will teach you a lot about positioning and board control. Plus its one of the cheapest boxes to initially buy and as an added bonus you could dip into the ten thunders faction if the resser faction loses its appeal. :D

I picked up Seamus and did quite well vs Lady J last night (my buddy switched from The Dreamer to Lady J). I can't believe the range on Lure! That ability alone won me the game, though Seamus' and Copycat's guns are monstrous! So much death... mmm.

What's Masters of the Path?

• Like 1

Whilst there are lots of threads on cuddling belles, none of them are actually from Wyrd. Its typically a few players who find that they seem overpowered in their group of friends. 

Wyrd aren't afraid to Errata when they think it is required, but have also said that at the moment they don't think Belles are too strong.  

Whilst they do have 23 errata'd cards, the majority of them are misprints and missing (or unclear) information on the card. I think only 5 of them are due to power level. 

You don't need all the undead for Nico.  He was my second master, after Seamus and did quite well.  Summoning endlessly is not his strongest game, despite what you may read.

If you go with Nicodem, keep him close to your undead so that he gives them the bonus flips.  Use him to heal your models, blasting unto enemies when able, or use him to slow/haste.  If one of your models gets killed, then summon it back.  I would recommend getting a mindless zombie box for him though, they are great living walls for him as he can make them immune to slow.

I don't see Belles being Cuddled anytime soon. I only have a bit of experience playing Rezzers, but it seems they have a dearth of snipers as well as ranged options in general, and Belles are really their answer to the ranged game. I think it's more a reaction by players being irked that *their* models are being forced to do something.