Schemes & Stones Master Spotlight Somer Teeth Jones

Khyodee

There was quite a lot of good analysis and I did enjoy the discussion of Bigger Hat Than You, which I often forget to use.

I do disagree about blasting off friendlies with his Boomer most of the time, mostly because you're sacrificing the 8 severe damage (or 12 on the Red Joker, which is a perfect single target "you're dead" button for moderately priced enemy models), which I've honestly found to be not too difficult to get off, even with only a Sh of 5.

Also lots of emphasis on Bayou Gremlins' weak Sh but no mention of Focus. These guys hit so much harder if you focus! Cheateable damage flips (which you automatically Bayou Two Card on weak), and a :+fate to attacks, which not only gives you higher results but can stop you from getting off a bad trigger. Yes your opponent should be in cover a lot of the time... but that's what Drunk & Reckless is for :P

Public Demonstration not getting a good rep was something I was surprised by. Three Lightning Bugs and a Pigapult essentially comes down to three free points, and when I've used it, it's worked very nicely in conjunction with summoning, because you can make up for the fact you spent just under half your SS on one scheme.

But the main thing I think was missing was any discussion at all of non-summoning Som'er: he's so much more than his Family Tree upgrade! I think he works nicely in Reckoning with an elite crew, and he's the perfect master to slot in when you just have no idea who to bring.

• Like 2

Agreed on Elite Somer. I had maybe my best game of Malifaux last Gencon running Elite Somer, with two Skeeters (primarily for diversion/activation control), Fingers (Deliver a Message was in the pool), Francois, Burt and Gracie, against a brutal Collodi w/two Trappers list. Somer himself RJ'd Collodi to death, and that crew can murder so efficiently, between Francois and Burt/Gracie. Great for Reckoning, decent for Collect the Bounty (little top heavy), and good for Headhunter, too, if you're careful with your guns.

20 minutes ago, Dogmantra said:

I do disagree about blasting off friendlies with his Boomer most of the time, mostly because you're sacrificing the 8 severe damage (or 12 on the Red Joker, which is a perfect single target "you're dead" button for moderately priced enemy models), which I've honestly found to be not too difficult to get off, even with only a Sh of 5.

There is probably a cost benefits analysis that was not included. Honestly I could see chucking a severe to kill a model that is guaranteed to die/you don't need. Especially if the blast will hurt a model that is resilient if attacked directly, Silent Ones for instance.

31 minutes ago, Hagisman said:

There is probably a cost benefits analysis that was not included. Honestly I could see chucking a severe to kill a model that is guaranteed to die/you don't need. Especially if the blast will hurt a model that is resilient if attacked directly, Silent Ones for instance.

I definitely don't doubt that, and I'd imagine with the suicide squad style of play favoured in the rest of the episode it's probably worthwhile more often, I'm just wary of offering it as more general advice as I understood it to be in the episode itself.

I don't believe S&S is general advice. It's pretty obvious that every master spotlight is one players perspective and use (usually with high levels of success). That's the beauty of the game is so many ways to skin the cat! Game is all about application of the tools hired to do the job, this ultimately translates into player skill, and any 'single' list shouldn't be considered "the best list" but rather "the right list for a player". I've seen Blake play a killy Somer list I just think his summoning variant is a little more versatile. 

• Like 1

Glad that the episode is provoking some good discussion (I'm the interviewee from the podcast).

I certainly don't have an issue with So'mer as a personal blaster.  Heck, one of the games I played after recording the episode but before it aired, I didn't summon a single thing.  The game just went in a fashion where he was shooting and scheme-running.  So'mer is incredibly adaptable, which I hope I stressed in the podcast.  

The reason I stressed the summoning aspect on him, besides personal playstyle, is that I believe it makes him distinctive out of the gremlin master pool.  Yes, he can go pure shooty and do quite well at it, but I'd just as soon take Ophelia if that was the whole thrust of the strategy.  Family Tree and the Big Hat, as well as his other supporting upgrades, give him a way to play that's different from the rest of the gremlins.

Of course, another thing is that I don't have quite as much experience with non-summoning So'mer.  I might not summon with him every game, but I always bring a list that's capable of it.  I obviously see responses that have had success with him completely absent a summoning engine, and that's great.

• Like 1