Quarantine Questions (Under Quarantine SPOILERS)

Parker Barrows

A couple of questions that I thought of going through Under Quarantine. They might be be in one of the books, but I can't find. So, if someone knows, please point me where.

1. Necromancers get the Raise Dead Magica as an auto include. But what if you start with a Necromancer and don't have a Grimoire (or start as something else without a Grimoire and move into it)? Can you cast it without an Immuto? I think you can, but I wanna confirm.

2. Can you take the alternative Whipser Magical Theory from Into the Steam when becoming a Necromancer or does it need to be the Whipser Theory from the core book? This is assuming the character has no Magical Theory.

3. I have seen references to number of Undead you can control. But I can't find where it is determined. I'm guessing based off of Necromancy Skill. How big can my horde get?

Edited by ABoyNamedSue
Figured I should give spoiler warning in case someone doesn't realize I'm talking about the book and not a quarantine

17 hours ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

A couple of questions that I thought of going through Under Quarantine. They might be be in one of the books, but I can't find. So, if someone knows, please point me where.

1. Necromancers get the Raise Dead Magica as an auto include. But what if you start with a Necromancer and don't have a Grimoire (or start as something else without a Grimoire and move into it)? Can you cast it without an Immuto? I think you can, but I wanna confirm.

2. Can you take the alternative Whipser Magical Theory from Into the Steam when becoming a Necromancer or does it need to be the Whipser Theory from the core book? This is assuming the character has no Magical Theory.

3. I have seen references to number of Undead you can control. But I can't find where it is determined. I'm guessing based off of Necromancy Skill. How big can my horde get?

1. You get it without the need from a Grimoire. Immuto are not required to cast (most) spells.
  2. That's up to your Fatemaster.
  3. Can you give me a reference? Standard Raise Undead Magia doesn't put a limit on number, but it puts a limit on time (and obviously there's a limit based on corpses).

1 hour ago, Aaron said:
  1. You get it without the need from a Grimoire. Immuto are not required to cast (most) spells.
  2. That's up to your Fatemaster.
  3. Can you give me a reference? Standard Raise Undead Magia doesn't put a limit on number, but it puts a limit on time (and obviously there's a limit based on corpses).

Awesome. Thanks for the answers.

The the first Revivalist Advanced Pursuit says that the Retainer no longer counts against "the number of Undead or Spirits this character can control."

4 minutes ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

The the first Revivalist Advanced Pursuit says that the Retainer no longer counts against "the number of Undead or Spirits this character can control."

It's for things like the Medium's Talent that lets it have a certain number of Spirits. There are certain things that do have limits, and this is freeing you from that limit.

3 minutes ago, ABoyNamedSue said:

Another Question: Should a Medium choose a Magical Threoy?

Eventually, yes, whenever the character learns a Manifested Power.

Per the FAQ (emphasis mine):

Q: How do characters that do not start the game as a Dabbler, Tinker, or Graverobber gain a personal Magical Theory?

A: Gaining a personal Magical Theory is at the discretion of the Fatemaster, but should generally occur when the character chooses to follow the Dabbler, Tinker, or Graverobber Pursuit, attempts to learn spells from a Grimoire, or develops a Manifested Power.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, horvagab said:

As someone whose finances are not lining up just yet, could perhaps someone share the pursuits that are in the book, out of curiosity?

Bully, Chemist, Forgotten, Ghost Eater, Ghoul, Medium, Necromancer, and Sawbones. :P

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

You sneaky boy left out the advanced pursuits. Was that on purpose?

Nope, they just weren't on the summary page I was listing them from. :P

Also!

Abettor of Obliteration

Exorcist

Revenant

Revivalist

Student of Transmortis

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chriscdoa said:

Another question. Do the various effects of stages of maladies stack? I assume so but wasn't sure.

So at level 3 blood sickness i get the level 1,2 and 3 effects?

Yup, third paragraph of pg. 149: "These symptoms are cumulative; as a character's illness becomes stronger, she develops more and more symptoms, until finally she reaches the final (often lethal) stage of the disease."

Three ranks of Blood Sickness brings you pretty close to "going native."

13 minutes ago, Mason said:

Yup, third paragraph of pg. 149: "These symptoms are cumulative; as a character's illness becomes stronger, she develops more and more symptoms, until finally she reaches the final (often lethal) stage of the disease."

Three ranks of Blood Sickness brings you pretty close to "going native."

Fingers crossed!!