What faction next?

Furycat

So I've been a 10T player for my entire M2E career, and I'm vaguely considering what faction might be interesting to look at next. There are a few things affecting my decision, partly a desire to not overlap too heavily with my regular Malifaux opponents. Paul is predominantly Outcasts just now, and was Guild before hand. Joe, on the other hand, is our resident Arcanist. The master's I've most played from 10T are;

Misaki - Probably the master I have most experience with, and the one I'm best at.

Shenlong - Probably now my second most played master, though I'm still not as good with him as I am with Misaki, mostly due to his complexity.

Lynch - Played a lot of Lynch, and I'm reasonably competent with him. He's pretty good fun too.

Yan Lo - Only played him a little but, but enjoyed what I have. Particularly love making people eat Izamu twice.

Mei Feng - Only played a little bit, but she's pretty good.

Not played McCabe or Brewmaster at all.

So I was trying to figure what faction I might look to next. Had a vague idea that Nicodem looked interesting, though not sure about the rest of the rezzers. I know next to nothing about Neverborn, as I've pretty much played them at all. Gremlins... not my style. I could be convinced perhaps on Arcanists though as mentioned I don't want to overlap with Joe. What's peoples thoughts on what might be fun?

Assuming you want to 'branch into another faction with what you have, using Lucas to branch into Guild treads on the Guild players toes. As does using Misaki to branch into Outcasts. Using Mei Feng to branch into Arcanists treads on the arcanists toes. That leaves Brewmaster into Gremlins, Yan Lo into Rezzers, or Lynch into Neverborn.

You said you've never played Brewmaster, so put that aside. That leaves Yan Lo and Ressers or Lynch and Neverborn. I've heard rumblings that Yan Lo is better as a Thunders master, so I'll go with my personal bias and agree with Neverborn (and because I know sod all about Ressers).

With Neverborn Lynch, assuming you haven't dabbled that way already, you can make a quick addition with a box of Beckoners, a box of The Depleted and a Doppleganger. Those three, plus the Illuminated, are also solid choices in general for Neverborn, which gives you a base to work from with other Neverborn masters you decide to go with.

• Like 1

Okay then, so Neverborn... beyond Lynch who I'm pretty familiar with, how do they typically play? Can anyone give me a brief overview of the masters and their styles? Notable henchmen, enforcers, minions? (Beyond the awesome that is Illuminated, which I'm quite familiar with already! :) )

Lucius, not really a damage dealer himself, gets others to do his dirty work, good synergy with minions and guardsmen, not so much with enforcers and henchmen.

Zoraida, queen of control masters, think of her as an additional 15AP over the course of the game to get your other models to take 1AP actions.

20 hours ago, Furycat said:

Okay then, so Neverborn... beyond Lynch who I'm pretty familiar with, how do they typically play? Can anyone give me a brief overview of the masters and their styles? Notable henchmen, enforcers, minions? (Beyond the awesome that is Illuminated, which I'm quite familiar with already! :) )

Freman covered Lucius and Zoraida, so I'll throw in my two cents.

Lilith is a guerilla fighter. She can kill things dead with her sword, but she's still fragile. She's got abilities that help her crew out - she can teleport enemies and friendly models around, place 50mm terrain markers, Lure and more. Basically you want to use her in melee when it suits her and she can get it done in one turn, and use her abilities to facilitate that.

The Dreamer can be played as a Ranged master or a Summoning master. As a summoner, he's got a fairly limited, but powerful pool of models he can bring in, including the likes of Teddy and the Nephilim twins. As a ranged master he can do support and damage. He also has a habit or going to sleep and unleashing the mega beatstick Lord Chompy Bits, and comes back out either when Chompy dies (in which case the Dreamer gains Slow) or cancels it (preferred way of doing it).

Pandora I'm not overly familiar with, but really want to be. From what I can tell, she is an indirect damage dealer and a bit of a control master. Her and her preferred minions essentially cause lots of Willpower tests, and cause damage when they're failed. The control goes to enemy models - she can play with their activation order, and punish them for activating in certain orders.

Some notable Henchmen and Enforcers. Barbaros, a  tanky Nephilim who can make it hard for enemies to target the rest of your crew. Coppelius, a fast melee unit which can pluck enemies eyes out to enhance it's own defense. Nekima, a Nephilim with some absurd stats which is a fast but fragile melee beater. The Widow Weaver, a spider in a dress that can spread poison, paralyse and willpower debuff zones. And can hit pretty well in melee.

Minions, you've got Terror Tots as a staple. They're fast, being able to Sprint up to 20" in a turn. Sorrows, who like to hang out with Pandora, are slow but incorporeal and  generate additional damage on failed willpower checks. Silurid, another fast melee minion who can leap in addition to their move. Insidious Madness, another slow incorporeal minion which can do willpower debuffing, and make it harder to cheat willpower duels. Stitched Together, little melee monions that are annoyingly tough and can cause some really hard damage - or sufferit if they fail the duel.

• Like 1

Fantastic, thanks for that overview! Lilith sounds pretty entertaining, as does Pandora. Might well look into giving Neverborn a try then. Also, the idea of a spider in a dress just sounds great! Might look at picking up a Lilith box at some point here.

Additionally, Mysterious Effigy is a fun melee minion with her hard to kill, armor +1, and ability to target a friendly leader with rapid acceleration.

As an enforcer, Iggy is one of the ranged fighters to keep on hand. What's fun us playing him with the Dreamer and let them both have fits. Childish temper tantrums cause all kinds of havoc!