So I just got DCR..

Tawg

I have been interested in it, vaguely, because obviously it's a Wyrd product, so it's got to be good right?  So I decided this month, I was interested enough to pick it up (Partially for the FLGS promo Corphee).

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play it yet, although I have read all the rules and opened and looked at everything contained inside.

All I have to say is, without playing it yet, holy crap.  This game exceeds expectations of quality.  I own a whole ton of games, from various producers, and DCR does not fall short on any count.  The box itself has a great design, and I am very happy all the components have a comfortable and clear section to be placed in.  I love the little bag, for randomizing the Curses applied in game, and it keeping the smallest of all the tokens in the game in order while transporting is quite nice.  Many games I end up using surplus of 15 ziplock bags to help organize all the small tokens, so that is certainly a plus (And not having an over abundance of tiny tokens to sort constantly).

The board itself is very nice.  The cardboard is what I'd expect from any game of good quality.  The one notable aspect about the DCR board that I really appreciate after having questioned it?  The shape of it.  The fact that the board is a circular center piece, with the 4 winds being their own "corner" sections at first made me question why the game wasn't simply a single larger square, instead of the five pieces it is currently.  But after thinking about it, I love the fact that the board is a circle, and how it ties into the whole motif of sphere (Sun) and circle (Snake, semi-ouroboros style) and general cyclical ideas, and the nature of 4 winds representing that symmetry as well.  That seems like such a great design choice to enforce concepts first, which is one of the great things about Wyrd in general.  It's also interesting when you're playing with the option of having the winds abandon the world, that you can actually remove them physically from the play area.

The little heart gems are really great too, it's nice to have those over the typical card-board die-cut heart symbols.  Obviously the game is limited in how many you'd need to use at once since each character has at most what, 4-5, so it is perhaps a function of limiting the mechanic to allow that choice.  Nice none the less.

The cards are good on their own, my only slight complaint would be that the smaller stacks that were packaged together (Specifically the artifacts) seem to have already affected a slight bend to them, upon opening the game.  But it's hardly detrimental to the point of being an issue, just a slight annoyance.

Arguably the biggest let down is the central players being cardboard rather than figures.  Although I completely understand the choice, and for what they are and the fact that it is simply a board game, they suit their role just fine.  The only tinge of regret comes from the fact that I know for a fact that Wyrd makes some of my favorite miniatures, and I know that the characters from the game would have come out awesome if they had made them.  But it's not a miniatures game, and it's understandable that they did not focus on including them for cost reasons as well as not wanting to alienate people who would like to play the game on its own but are not as thrilled about miniatures.  Although guaranteed if Wyrd ever finds time to release a set of these, either strictly for DCR or as some sort of story encounter or tie-in to Malifaux, I will be on them in a heart beat.

Overall, the game looks and feels amazing.  Its packaging and quality of production are stellar, and I love the minor decisions made that show how much care and effort everyone at Wyrd purts into their products.  I can't wait to play, although I have a feeling the game may be easier with more than 2 players (I am thinking 3-4 may be more ideal), but I'll see when I get a chance to wrangle some friends to try it out.

All around, I'm very impressed.  Pun intended.

• Like 3

I was able to play the full game at GenCon 2015 with the max amount of players. One very important thing I learned is that when there are too many players, the sun travels really fast and the champion often cannot catch up. However, with too few players, not enough is happening and players are poorly equipped to deal with the problems thrown at them by the board. 

Unfortunately, I have been unable to play my copy since GenCon; however, if you are able to snag a copy of the generalist upgrade deck, there is a card in there just for DCR. 

Thanks! I put a lot of time into it, as did production to make it all happen. 

I've won the game at all player sizes numerous times. I think higher player counts seem scarier and have a but bit more luck involved (more dice rolls always means more luck), but a working knowledge of the game will get you by most things. Just don't expect to win your first couple of games! 

• Like 1

When you're playing and you do physically remove that wind corner and there's just a blank space everyone's looking at, it really does give that feeling of "We're just a little more screwed than normal, gents! Nice knowing you!"

I do hope Wyrd can put the characters out as minis somehow. Alt malifaux models, some weird Other Side tie in, don't care. They're all great artwork that could be awesome with some Wyrd plastic treatment.

Hoping for Chronicles in the future to have new character cards, too!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2016 at 10:13 AM, Rob Lo said:

I do hope Wyrd can put the characters out as minis somehow. Alt malifaux models, some weird Other Side tie in, don't care. They're all great artwork that could be awesome with some Wyrd plastic treatment.

I wouldn't mind seeing a "Collectors" or "Premium" edition set put out at some point, extra points if were already assembled and pre-painted to keep the appeal for the board game only market.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted in these forums for quite a while, but wanted to quickly say that I really like the game!

We made several mistakes the first time playing it, making it quite easy (especially differentiating between "regions" and "spaces" is quite challenging for a non-native-speaker).

After giving it a second try, we had quite a lot of fun playing it. The game is amazing. But unfortunatelly, I don't have a chance of getting the promo-card :(.

I also would like to see the miniatures being available! Clear-resin spirits anyone? :)

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Sheijtan said:

Haven't posted in these forums for quite a while, but wanted to quickly say that I really like the game!

We made several mistakes the first time playing it, making it quite easy (especially differentiating between "regions" and "spaces" is quite challenging for a non-native-speaker).

After giving it a second try, we had quite a lot of fun playing it. The game is amazing. But unfortunatelly, I don't have a chance of getting the promo-card :(.

I also would like to see the miniatures being available! Clear-resin spirits anyone? :)

Don't feel too bad, I played for the first time and did not notice the distinction between "regions" and "spaces" quite until looking over a number of rules, we determined we must be doing something wrong.  But we basically got learning most of everything out of the way, so next game will be more like a real first run :P