Hoffman: Rail Golem, Metal Gamin and so on..

PowerLooped

Hi there,

i'm new to Malifaux and to this forum. I just have a few questions....

1) Is metal gamin so important for the Ca 8? I mean, does it change so much to the crew hiring one?

2) Why is Rail Golem considered to became a monster with hoffman? I know the power loop bonuses, but will it be easy to use the trigger from Locomotion many times?

3) Isn't the Peacekeeper just better than Rail Golem? In which order (from best to worst) you would put Howard Lengstone, Peacekeeper and Rail Golem? Why?

4) Can hunter use the chain arpoon to pull an enemy model and make it finish in the trap that Pathfinder drop between hunter and the enemy or it will pull the trap?

Thanks for watching and for the answes ^_^

• Like 1

1) It's nice to have but far from mandatory. Hoffman can function just fine without Metal Gamins.

2) Rail Golem is quite durable and hits really hard. Its weaknesses are its low speed, Df and Ml. Hoffman can buff all those things. If you also have Metal Gamin looped even Locomotion becomes easier to pull off thanks to Ca 8. Not having enough burning isn't usually a problem either because the Rail Golem has built in trigger that gives it burning +1 when it hits with its Ml attack. Obviously you still need to have :tomes in your hand though.

3) Peacekeeper is different from Rail Golem. It isn't nearly as dangerous in melee but it has even more durability and a nice ranged attack. Out of the three models you listed, my personal favorite is Howard, because of his speed, damage, and Ml 7. He isn't quite as dependent on Hoffman's help as the other two, and doesn't become near useless if you don't draw any :tomes. That being said, I don't feel like there's a huge difference between the three in terms usefulness in Hoffman crews. I sometimes even bring two of them at the same time. It should also be noted that Brutal Emissary, Joss and Ryle can also compete for that hard hitter slot.

4) Yes, you will pull the model you targeted with the attack.

Thanks #myyrä, I saw that some people use both ryle and joss in a match... Is it possibe? O.o 2 henchman?

Which are the Brutal Emissary combo's with Hoffman?

Thanks #LunarSol, but i think all 3 would just cost too much ss :D i am interested in the swarms as with a power loop in MI 7 and the trigger they can actually make up to 6 attacks with 1 ap :D

16 minutes ago, PowerLooped said:

Thanks #myyrä, I saw that some people use both ryle and joss in a match... Is it possibe? O.o 2 henchman?

You can bring 6 henchmen if you can afford the SS costs.

16 minutes ago, PowerLooped said:

Which are the Brutal Emissary combo's with Hoffman?

Take a look here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowerLooped said:

Thanks #LunarSol, but i think all 3 would just cost too much ss :D i am interested in the swarms as with a power loop in MI 7 and the trigger they can actually make up to 6 attacks with 1 ap :D

It can, but if the scheme pool demands a brawl it can work.  Watchers are good enough scheme runners with him to keep you relevant there and you can still take 2-3 of them with 3 big beaters like that.

13 minutes ago, AWOL said:

In the post you're quoting, what do you have Hoff doing after turn 1? Since your big beater is upfield, I assume he needs some quick construct to haul him up field and get him back in range for machine puppet. 

Hoffman can give Brutal Emissary Nimble and Machine puppet him once or twice. That should get them quite far enough.

Hi.

I started with Hoffman my Malifaux career this month.

I think the Metal Gamin is a really good choice in the Crew, because you have the CA8+Hoffman's Empore Ability= CA10. You Crew looks like:
50ss CREW

C. Hoffman

+Arcanist Assets+Field Mechanic

Mechanical Attendant

Peacekeeper

Ryle +Pieces of Myself 

Guardian

Hunter

Metal Gamin

Watcher

I change between Peacekeeper, Howard and the Railgolem all of them are nice to play. Peacekeeper got his chain and a GOOD marker removal spell. The Railgolem and Howard are beasts. Ryle is a beast too with the pieces of myself upgrade you crew gets reactivation...ouch!!! In my eyes Ryle has to be in a Hoffman Crew.

Maybe I test this one: (Running Schemes would be hard)

C. Hoffman

+Arcanist Assets+Field Mechanic

Mechanical Attendant

Howard Langston

Peacekeeper

Ryle +Pieces of Myself

Hunter

Metal Gamin

P.s. with Ryle + Pieces of Myself you're not going to get reaktivation only...+1WP/Pieces Marker Ryle screams to Hoffman LOOP ME!

18 hours ago, Deeds said:

P.s. with Ryle + Pieces of Myself you're not going to get reaktivation only...+1WP/Pieces Marker Ryle screams to Hoffman LOOP ME!

Unfortunately, powerloop only passes PRINTED stats. 

I've not found pieces of myself terribly useful since Hoffman himself uses most of my scrap for buffing/healing. I've used three scrap in a turn with him several times.

I always run with a Metal Gamin. Arcanist Assets is almost worth taking just for the emergency heal, and four stones for Ca 8, effective armor +2, and Fast every turn (from OSA) is great. I really treat the Gamin as Hoffman's default totem.

I always take a metal Gamin, 2 watchers and the Peacekeeper. The rest is variable. I flex between taking either the Guardian or the Brutal Emissary for DF 6. I just recently started testing out the Brutal Emissary and have found that it is much more versatile than the Guardian.

The metal gamin is great with the Hoffball. Metal Gamin provides Cast 8 and DF 5 along with being the main target for slow to give Hoffman Fast (with O.S.A).

The two watchers normally go about dropping schemes and doing dirty work while Peace Keeper/Rail Golem/Langston & Co. knock out the opponents important models. I always give the watchers the Hydraulics and programmed directive upgrades from Hoffman to ensure they get where they need to be to take care of schemes. I try to always power loop in at least 3-4 models so that the buffs can be shared.

A typical list I bring looks like the following:

Hoffman

- Arcanist Assets

- Field Mechanic

- O.S.A.

Metal Gamin

PeaceKeeper

Watcher

Watcher

Howard Langston/Rail Golem

Brutal Emissary (for DF 6 and Shenanigans)/Ryle/Joss/Guardian

I normally take Hoffman with the following Strategies:

Head Hunter, Turf War, Extraction, Stake a Claim, Reckoning, Collect the Bounty, Guard the Stash

And with the following Schemes:

Hunting Party, Covert Breakthrough, Show of Force, Undercover Entourage

• Like 1

4 hours ago, i9haunter said:

I try to always power loop in at least 3-4 models so that the buffs can be shared.

Also, a tip for new players.  Power Loop lasts until Hoffman activates again, so if you Power Loop at the start of a turn and don't activate him until the end of the next, you can keep the bonuses and use that turn to heal up and do other things.  Then at the start of the next turn, you can activate Hoffman first and get the Loop back up.

Metal Gamin is a must for me - it brings so much card efficiency for Hoffman, it allows me to spend stones on suits instead when needed.  First thing on my list, possibly only after the mobile toolkit.  The rest of what I take with Hoff varies quite a bit.  Don't really use Joss, Hank or R.Golem, as I lllooooovvvveee soulstone miners to operate outside the hoff ball.

Saying that, Ryle and the B.Emmisary have been real staples. Ryle with double positive flips, Sh 6 and having the double rams for a turn is pure poetry in motion against other ball crews... ;)

• Like 1

Yep as Myyra said.  Very good as a ranged alpha strike and once people have it, it makes them spread out or try and go in for the kill and I then use Machine Puppet to clear them out.

I do also try to include hunters as and when, and 'sometimes' watchers.  Really depends on SnS, but my template is usually the above. If you are looking for a really cheap df boost for power loop and another scheme runner.... don't forget the Brutal Effigy is a construct as  well.  Its also a bit tougher than a watcher.  Ok you are probably not going to get too much use out of 'fear not the sword' but...