New to Malifaux. I want something asian!

RaguRagla

Hey all, and hi to everyone :)

Recently people around me have started playing Malifaux and so I decided to join as well. I'm a former WHFB player and still enjoy 40k/HH games every now and then.

So far I've had a Malifaux introduction game, I'm halfway through the rules book and I'm busy reading the Wiki and getting deeper into the game's lore, rules, mechanics etc.

I chose my faction purely based on the models I like. I'll adapt to whatever playstyle is required rather than chosing a crew based on how I would like to play.

That said, I went on a little shopping spree and now I don't know where to start :P. I thought Kirai was 10T/Resser and got that conused with Yan Lo. Now I have to chose which Crew I should start first. Which one would be better for a good learning curve? I have the following models available:

- Misaki + Shang

- Ototo

- 3 Torakage

- 3 Samurai

- Izamu, the Armor

- Kirai + Lost Love + Ikiryo

- 2 Onryo

- 2 Shikome

- (2 Seishin)

Izamu is ready for painting but I'm not sure whether I should start out with Ressers or 10T. There are already a lot or Resser crews around in my area (not Kirai though) but nobody plays 10T so I thought maybe I should start with these guys. I already have a lot of things on my list that I want for both Crews, so it's really just about where to beging with.

All Input is highly appreciated!

The issue you'll probably run into if you start playing Kirai now is that you'll be able to fill out a 50SS game if you hire everything you own for her, but you won't be able to summon anything but Seishin and Ikiryo for lack of models.  You can still play the attrition game, though, where you just replace stuff that is killed off if the Onryo or Shikome are targeted, and Kirai is no slouch for support.

You actually have options in a 50SS game with Ten Thunders.  Misaki can play pretty much independently of her crew, so she likes things that can distract her opponent and operate on their own while she goes off and does her thing.  Also, you can run a "Come At Me, Bro!" list with Ototo, Izamu, and three Samurai, which could be really, really hilarious or really, really awful.

As far as my personal preference, I like Misaki of the two you have for starting out, although I definitely have a bias against Ressers, and 10T is probably my second or third favorite faction.  Most of your chosen aesthetic is going to land with the Thunders (which is a pan-Asiatic crime syndicate) by default.

On ‎14‎.‎2‎.‎2016 at 4:19 PM, hippodruid said:

The issue you'll probably run into if you start playing Kirai now is that you'll be able to fill out a 50SS game if you hire everything you own for her, but you won't be able to summon anything but Seishin and Ikiryo for lack of models.  You can still play the attrition game, though, where you just replace stuff that is killed off if the Onryo or Shikome are targeted, and Kirai is no slouch for support.

If going with Kirai with that pool of models, I would actually be tempted to, for once, make use of the Torakage's Mercenary status and hire one for 7 Stones into the Kirai crew. Not at all optimal but still IMO better than hiring everything and not having anything to Summon.

Thanks! I was actually going to start with 10T but even mighty Google could not provide me with building instructions for the Misaki box. Plus this stuff looks really annoying to build.

So i went for Kirai and bought some extra Models, namely Gaki, Hanged, a Flesh Construct, Yan Lo's Box and Datsu Ba. This should give me a good amount of things to play around with in a list and also leave me with enough things for summoning. So I'm going to start out with something like this as my core

- Kirai with Spirit Beacon & Absorb Spirit

- Lost Love

- Datsue Ba with Spirit Whispers

- 2 Onyro

- 1 Shikome

That's 33 SS and allows me to add from the above stuff and experiment around with. Also people around here often play games at 35 SS and I guess it would work here too.

Just throwing it out there that Izamu becomes even more of a powerhouse than he already is when paired with Kirai. Swirl Spirits and the Adversary condition really power him up. I have also had really good results out of running Chiaki and / or Toshiro with Kirai. Chiaki is just a great support piece (remove conditions + healing + handing out slow). Toshiro buffs all those minions Kirai summons and can make use of those corpse markers that she will not be using.

I read a lot of good things about Izamu in a Kirai list and since he's one of my favorite models anyway, i'll probably run him on a regular basis. I'll have to be careful not to play him every single time because he'd fit nicely with Yan Lo or Misaski as well.

I've got enough Kirai stuff ready to play at 35 - 50 SS now with a couple of extra summons. Next is the Misaki box and the Samurai, I really like that 'come at me bro' idea mentioned earlier :D