Choosing factions- quick question

Baddaysbasil

My gal and I ordered the starter set and will give it a go very soon.  Assuming we are into beginning a collection, I was wondering some things about where to start with factions.

It's my understanding that the starter models are all mercenaries, so that leaves our choices wide open.  Now, we'd each like to choose a faction, and Nicole fell in love with Pandora's look and description right away, so it's Neverborn for her. 

I'm being less decisive and overthinking things as I typically do, but I did have a good idea about something (I think), which finally leads to my question:

Being that Outcasts are largely comprised of mercenaries (as I understand from their description--correct me if I am wrong), wouldn't it make a lot of sense to make them my faction in order to have lots of models that could the be used and hired on by our other faction, the Neverborn?

Not only would that give us lots of flexibility for casual play at home, but wouldn't it also allow one of to pool all of the options together for potentially more potent setups for something like a tournament, should that need arise?

I am also considering a dual-faction Outcast Master for even more flexibility, but I know that just playing what I think looks awesome is important, too (here's looking at you, Viktoras).

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Edited by Baddaysbasil
Typos for days

3 of the 7 Outcast masters are merc heavy starters, Viktorias (Hired Swords), Von Schill (Hired Guns) and Misaki (The Thunders) (although the Torkage in her box are Mercs, they aren't outcast, so any other outcast master has to hire them as a merc.)  The other 4 are more likely to bring models from other factions into the outcast, which could still be seen as extra double value from those...

Its not a bad idea as a way to start, but its not as viable as you might think. You can only hire 2 out of faction Mercs in a crew, so whilst you would be able to use some of the collection in a new faction, it wouldn't be a huge amount. That might be an advantage, as most crew boxes, + 2 mercs can play at 50ss, but with the starter set, you do already have some mercs. 

Picking what you find looks good, and something that fits your style is really the best way to go

• Like 1

I personally would advice against starting with Victorias. They are an extremely "in-your-face" type of Master and Henchman duo and once you learn the slingshot (which is really easy) coming up with a counter can take a while. They are also very all-or-nothing type and tend to lead into one-sided games somewhat easily. Now, Pandora is actually not bad against them so if you are dead set on them it isn't a horrid match-up but I still wouldn't recommend them to start.

Though do note that this is my opinion and others might (do) disagree.

• Like 1

It really depends on your personality. Are you into the game for the mechanics and story, are cool looking models the most important?

As a very general rule of thumb the standard practice is to just pick a crew you love the look of. While some master are more complicated than others, and some can offer very bad experiences to opponents who haven't mastered the tricks to deal with them, ultimately it's you as your friends who a are playing, so gentleman's agreements to not use certain abilities that are found to be unfun can always be agreed to until everyone has a better grasp of the game. Confusing mechanics can way be worked through, but if you aren't excited about the visual on the table I find it's hard to get enthused overall, especially as the game is so heavily character based. I'd personally go the the home page off this site and go through the links to look at the art and crew discriptions and pick what you want to play based on that. Ultimately I think you'll have a better time, and once you've settled you can always ask here what needs to be watched for in beginner games to not make the experience lopsided. 

Welcome to Malifaux.

• Like 3

Appreciate all the input!  Being as I know so little if the rules right now I was unaware of the 2-merc limit, so yeah going Outcasts only seems so useful.

As a result I have been leaning Gremlins as a pure fun-factor move!  Also, we actually live on a bayou, so I could fill in some gremlin/cajun accents to take things to even more ridiculous levels.

7 hours ago, Math Mathonwy said:

I personally would advice against starting with Victorias. They are an extremely "in-your-face" type of Master and Henchman duo and once you learn the slingshot (which is really easy) coming up with a counter can take a while. They are also very all-or-nothing type and tend to lead into one-sided games somewhat easily. Now, Pandora is actually not bad against them so if you are dead set on them it isn't a horrid match-up but I still wouldn't recommend them to start.

Though do note that this is my opinion and others might (do) disagree.

Hmm.. The other Outcast I was kinda liking was Von Schill, who is both merc-heavy and seems somewhat straightforward.  I've not seen him mentioned in too many recommended starting Masters, but I wonder if he would present similar balance problems like Viktorias?

Appreciate the help in narrowing it down!

21 minutes ago, Baddaysbasil said:

Hmm.. The other Outcast I was kinda liking was Von Schill, who is both merc-heavy and seems somewhat straightforward.  I've not seen him mentioned in too many recommended starting Masters, but I wonder if he would present similar balance problems like Viktorias?

Von Schill is not as swingy as the Viks, and is rather forgiving as a master. His crew is super versatile and useable in many other crews both in faction and out of faction as mercs. I would recommend him as a good starter for someone wanting to play outcasts. 

58 minutes ago, Baddaysbasil said:

I agree with Brian. Von Schill is IMO one of the best starting Masters actually, since both Von Schill and his crew are very versatile and adaptable to different situations. Powerful but not gimmicky yet still synergistic and all in all teach good habits and can do well in all aspects of the game.