Shadow Emissary

Patzer

I haven't done much with it in games (as opposed to theory), but I agree that it's a lot of resources tied up in the gimmick.

It might make to make more sense to use another model with Reading the Wind (Samurai, High River Monk, Thunder Archer) rather than the Low River Monk, to let it contribute in other ways than just being a Focus battery. Samurai seems like the best choice, since he doesn't need the Focus to be effective at range, and can defend himself up close  

As for the Emissary vs. Yu, there is definitely a fair bit of overlap. The Emissary does hit pretty hard; especially when he can discard for Focus +2, the 6 damage Severe is pretty accessible. But yeah, depending on the situation, that may just be too much to spend, and as good as the card draw is, I don't think it's worth running Shenlong without Yu. 

I've used the Emissary und the Monk for the three card draw, and I don't think it makes much sense to use somebody like the Samurai. Because other minis want to do stuff, instead of hanging out with the Emissary and draw cards.

But for that price, I have no problems drawing 9-12 extra cards in the first few rounds and then send the Monk off to do other stuff (when the Emissary engages and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the two together).

2 hours ago, Mutter said:

I've used the Emissary und the Monk for the three card draw, and I don't think it makes much sense to use somebody like the Samurai. Because other minis want to do stuff, instead of hanging out with the Emissary and draw cards.

But for that price, I have no problems drawing 9-12 extra cards in the first few rounds and then send the Monk off to do other stuff (when the Emissary engages and it becomes increasingly difficult to keep the two together).

Agree on your point on the Samurai. It wants to do other stuff, and will want the Focus on its own. 

What list do you usually run with Emissary/Shenlong? 

So far, I have used mainly Katanaka Sniper, Peasants, Ten Thunders Brothers, the Effigy, the Sensei, Monk of Low River and the Emissary together.

But while it is excellent at scheme-running, I felt the list lacked some 'Oooomph'. Guess the solution would really be (similar to your advice for TT Lynch) to leave the Sensei at home and pack something with more clout. But I'm not sure I'm ready to do that yet ... :D

(The 12-steps recovery program teaching TT players all over the world to play ... gasp ... without Sensei Yu!)

An alternative could be to use the Sensei more aggressively, he isn't a bad beater by himself, once he's not doing all the scheme-schenanigans.

I can't imagine a Shenlong List without Yu. I mean, I get that he and the Emissary can fill sortof similar niches to a degree, but of all the places to not take Yu... The Emissary gives enough range to hide behind a model, so with lists that have Yu and the Emissary I tend to take one other strong model to get opponents caught up with. Can be the Swordsman, can even be Yin, but generally speaking the "Ooomph" is worth the -1 activation if you can Ooomph another unit out of the game fast. That leaves about 20 SS for smaller units and upgrades which depending on the schemes I can really live with. 

I very seldom take Yu with Shenlong. My experience has been that having both of them gives the crew a bit too much support at the expense of efficient damage output. Having both of them also puts too much strain on my control hands, since they both eat up way too many 6+ cards. When I play Shenlong I'd rather take models like Izamu, Shadow Emissary and a bunch of minions like Archers/Snipers, Brothers and Illuminated. I still think Yu is good, although I pretty much only play him with all of the other TT Masters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paradigm said:

I very seldom take Yu with Shenlong. My experience has been that having both of them gives the crew a bit too much support at the expense of efficient damage output. Having both of them also puts too much strain on my control hands, since they both eat up way too many 6+ cards. When I play Shenlong I'd rather take models like Izamu, Shadow Emissary and a bunch of minions like Archers/Snipers, Brothers and Illuminated. I still think Yu is good, although I pretty much only play him with all of the other TT Masters.

Shenlong is fairly effective as a beater as well. Stick him with High River and load up on burning before sending him at something important, then when he's there use Low River and watch him tarpit whatever else he's engaged with.

At least there is a good argument for TT-players to go off the grid and try another model instead of Yu--post Gencon when the Emissary hopefully drops. 

I tried the Emissary with McCabe, and I think its ok with him. Extra free upgrade is neat, and it can work as a wind up for one beater (it pushed my Strongarm twice, gave it Fast, and Elixir). Problem is that it needs to be close to McCabe and lacks the speed to keep up with him. So the jury is still out whether it is a great fit or not. 

On 2016-04-14 at 8:42 PM, santaclaws01 said:

Shenlong is fairly effective as a beater as well. Stick him with High River and load up on burning before sending him at something important, then when he's there use Low River and watch him tarpit whatever else he's engaged with.

Yeah, Shenlong can do surprising amounts of damage. I've had some matches where he has wrecked lots of normally tough models with Fermented River Style. With the ability to switch positive/negative flips he gets really good damage output that more often than not flips severe damage without even the need to cheat, especially when up against models like Yin or other HtW targets (poor ressers).

High River Style can be incredibly dangerous if you have Recalled Training and pre-stacked burning, though it typically only works once per match. Though if you get enough mileage out of it, that is hardly a problem.

A typical match playing Shenlong I prefer to activate him last in round 1 to give models fast and/or adjusted positioning in preparation for round 2, and then activating first in round 2 to give out more fast. Being in position for alpha striking Izamu, Shadow Emissary and one or two Illuminated can be incredibly powerful when you get it to work just right. Once Shenlong is done with this I typically switch to either Low River for healing or Fermented River for joining the fight himself.