Gaining Grounds 2016

Lucidicide

7 hours ago, BigHammer said:

Welp, Yamaziko just made the cut for my 10T crews again. :D

I already enjoy Yamaziko.  This stealth buff is just pure icing on my cake :wub:.

I do super enjoy the non-reveal aspect though.  The choice to reveal or not was almost always irrelevant, since the choice was did you want the bonus VP or not, and either way you were (Assuming you had a modicum of experience) picking schemes you knew you could successfully pull off.  Hidden information like this makes placing Scheme Markers randomly into a taunt at running certain Schemes before they are revealed, potentially distracting opponents.  That's the level of mind game I think is great to see, personally :).

• Like 3

Sorry for the double post but, I just realized I had a question really quick, regarding:

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

Finally, we are also happy to announce that you can purchase a Gaining Grounds 2016 Strategy & Scheme Deck from Wargame Vault's print-on-demand service.

The print on demand cards are the same as normal stock right?  As in cardboard style cards?

Just making sure I understand, since all the other fate decks and the first Schemes and Strategy deck is in the plastic style.

8 hours ago, Clousseau said:

Did you include the deckbox? Try deleting it - made over $10 difference to the postage!

Na was just checking the quotes on estimated shipping without doing the ordering step. Might pick it up, when I order Metal Gamin to get the new cards... at least this would make sense, since I don't have to order it seperately.

15 hours ago, jonahmaul said:

There's a huge difference between bad schemes and schemes that reward VPs for playing the Master the way it's designed to be played in which your opponent doesn't have to do anything to accomplish it at all.  At least with Ramos swarms the enemy has to go to the effort of killing your spiders!

Ironsides and Deliver a Message?

Also, you can just skip that Scheme for single Master tournaments if it is deemed disruptive.

15 hours ago, jonahmaul said:

In regular games you are absolutely right but now imagine you're playing a single Master tournament. You are now neutered from taking a strong Master which Collette, Nico, Sonnia players etc. are not. Or if you.do take Levi/Dreamer and Neutralise is available you basically give up 2-3 VPs. That is not competitive or fair at all. 

And single master happens to be something that strays savagely from the core rules of the "adapt to the mission" philosophy of the game. So I don´t expect all tournaments to be "single master" in a season and if you are so obsessed with Leve or Dreamer that you can´t go a single event without using them every match and feel that giving out a freeish scheme to the enemy crew is an unforgivable act, than probably you should not bother playing said single master tournaments. Then again, I insist that I doubt they are even that frequent anyway and because of their conception, already sideline a good chunk of masters because of how easy they are countered when you know they are coming.

23 hours ago, Kobayashi said:

But it still stings paying such a premium, if you want to have physical ones. Not lamenting the rules, but throw your overseas players a bone D:.

EDIT: With the rules coming soon translated, will those be translated as well... not for my sake -- but maybe for new interested players?

It would be nice that they create printer friendly decks such as this to download and print yourself instead of only going through a print on demand service. If they already created the file to send to the demand service, it wouldn't be that much harder to create a pdf of which you can generate your own.

• Like 3

I Had no deck box, still $14 to ship to Australia. I'm not paying twice the cost of the product in shipping, especially given that I could have a massive box of Black Friday stuff shipped for $20 and these are just a bunch of paper cards. Why not let us purchase the deck, like any other document Wyrd published from Driverthrurpg, for $4 or something?

37 minutes ago, Sordid Strumpet said:

I Had no deck box, still $14 to ship to Australia. I'm not paying twice the cost of the product in shipping, especially given that I could have a massive box of Black Friday stuff shipped for $20 and these are just a bunch of paper cards. Why not let us purchase the deck, like any other document Wyrd published from Driverthrurpg, for $4 or something?

Remove the box, it'll drop the price a fair bit.

• Like 1

On 22/01/2016 at 8:04 PM, jonahmaul said:

Personally I think Neutralize the Leader is terrible as it punishes people for playing the way Masters like Levi and Dreamer are designed to work.  Going to cause hell in single Master tournaments.

edit - shipping to the UK comes up as just over $3 which is pretty reasonable though it says 3-7 weeks!

On 22/01/2016 at 8:40 PM, Forgotmytea said:

Looking forward to trying these out!

For my fellow Europeans, I just took the plunge and ordered a deck to be delivered to me in the UK. Shipping was only $3.21, not too shabby :)

-Ben

Where are you guys getting those shipping prices? It's coming up as £10 odd for me

4 hours ago, thephantomartist said:

Where are you guys getting those shipping prices? It's coming up as £10 odd for me

Yeah as Sordid states I just chose the deck without a box then went to the checkout and put my address is and got $3 something ($3.21 I think it was) as a postage quote.  Haven't ordered yet as going to order en masse for gaming group.

5 minutes ago, jonahmaul said:

Yeah as Sordid states I just chose the deck without a box then went to the checkout and put my address is and got $3 something ($3.21 I think it was) as a postage quote.  Haven't ordered yet as going to order en masse for gaming group.

This certainly helps. Thanks; I just looked up the estiamted quotes [as said above] and was turned off to further persue this.

I really like this new GG. I hope to test it soon but most of the modifications to the traditional schemes seem to be going the right way.

I don't mind seeing some masters having difficulties when some schemes are in the pool. As said by some others, it was already the case in the former version (albeit not for Levy) and nobody complained.

Each faction has a lot more than 1 master and having a choice to make adds variety to the table.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2016 at 6:12 PM, decker_cky said:

Gaining grounds is designed to be a tournament rule set using the full set of malifaux rules (which includes masters chosen after the schemes are revealed). If you're a tournament organizer running a single master tournament (GG is a tournament ruleset), then they should probably compensate by choosing schemes that don't include Neutralize (or at least letting players know if it will be in play ahead of time).

Similarly, with new players, GG isn't really something that should be used while learning.

This 

Page 9: In some situations, the Organizer may wish to determine the Scheme Pool for each round in advance. 

The Gaining Grounds rules provides discretion concerning scheme selection If a T.O. is running an event using a single master system.

If the T.O. feels there is a scheme or two that could be harsh against a single master format they are more than welcome not to select those schemes when determining the pools for each round. They do not have to select their schemes randomly for their event.  

• Like 1