BiteFaux - Chessington - Saturday 2nd of April - 50ss Fixed Master

SurreyLee

Thanks for a great 1st event.it was fun  happy to get two drawers in the end.i will 100% come to the next one.

ps if  submit my full name to the rankings Aj Barr it would be great. I finished in 26 place so doesn't really matter if you don't ?

• Like 1

Just to add my thanks to Lee & Zac for organising a top notch event, and to everyone else for contributing to a really enjoyable day.

I echo the compliments for the tournament achievements & the venue - hopefully Bitefaux will become a regular event, I would love to bring more people from our club along next time.

'Brown

9 hours ago, Tapdancer said:

Many thanks to Zac and Lee for doing such a great job. There were so many great details that combined to produced an exceptional level of event.  Everything was setup and then run with any easy going competence, immensely impressed. 

Really liked the achievement pool things like a raffle ticket for playing with full painted crew or losing master or getting tabled really thoughtful and inclusive. The score sheets with each round on a separate page and the details for each scheme in the specific round was really slick. The venue was top notch, much better spacing than is typical with access to tea/coffee and water a really nice bonus.  Painting competition was great, achievement for entering genius, having it on an individual model and TO judged made it feel a lot more open than usual.

Whilst I appreciate some of the ideas have been cherry picked from other peoples events and you had help from the godfather of malifaux I have to say you really raised bar regards the standards of malifaux events.

On a personnel note I found the TO's utter disregards for my charming northern banter regards the Best Painted competition a little disappointing and of course coming lower than Ben in the final standings, shameful.  Will do my best to get to your next event.

Agree with everything Paul says, especially the last bit, that is shameful.

Seriously though an amazing first event, better than what I did with SC and honestly something Zac and Lee should be proud of.

I had three nice opponents, it was great to meet up with people I've seen recently (such as the Woking/iBuyWargames lot), not seen in a while (like that Paul I guess) and people I've never met which includes two of my opponents.

Meal afterwards was nice and although I personally think I'd prefer 4 over 3 rounds if something like that is the reason why the event is shorter then I'm mostly for it.

Trying to think of some small critique, not just to play the heel but if either Lee or Zac are anything like me they'd still want something to improve on.

• Call outs. These were actually probably a lot better than my first event for sure, and there were clear clocks which is great. However maybe just me going mental but it felt like (specifically round 3) a call out for last turn was made and less than 5 minutes later was last activation.
  • Little thing, even Lee thought about. Best in Faction. It's not needed, however the 7 different colour deck boxes would've been perfect and I think although I like the raffle having a bit less in that and a bit more earned is cool. Even if not trophies and something like the deck boxes prizes can be spread further. I like "best in faction" to include the podium but if it's just for little giveaways going outside is cool (Connor getting Arcanist box for example).
  • The cave table. I think it was cool looking but was also dreading getting put on it. Appreciate Zac did ask about it on Twitter and this is your first event so you won't have as much terrain as others (especially Clousseau) but that table looked like it may be unusable in certain strategies and/or deployments.

Honestly off the top of my head this is all I can think of, this is scraping the barrel.

• The terrain was great, the venue was perfect; spacious, parking, light, good temperature, clocks.
  • Timings were good, I didn't feel I was stood around for too long, I felt lunch was an appropriate amount of time being it's a little trek to get stuff and overall it was smooth and relaxed
  • Zac is great for the 30 minutes he was there :P and Lee is also a top bloke as usual and made his presence felt as well as keeping on top of everything.

Basically top marks, will come again.

I'm now sad thinking my next event isn't until Cow Wars, Bitefaux made me want to play tournaments even more than usual.

• Like 1

Great event, really enjoyed by all of the Flippin' Wyrds, will definitely be coming to any you do in the future. 

Shaunie goes by Shaunie Red for the Rankings everyone else looks good for our group 

If I was to give any feedback personally prefer 4 round events a lot more but not sure if this was a venue constraint or just a choice but if the option is there then that would be my preference.

well done though chaps, great first event and look forward to any more you do

Well done to everyone. Especially the victors. Amazing day, made even better by some amazing games so thank you to all my opponents for making that happen.

Thank you to Lee and zac for a amazing event. Really great venue and really well put together guys you should be very happy with all aspects of the day.

Hope to see more events real soon from you guys. Maybe a 4 round event? 

1 hour ago, Psientologist said:

Trying to think of some small critique, not just to play the heel but if either Lee or Zac are anything like me they'd still want something to improve on.

• Call outs. These were actually probably a lot better than my first event for sure, and there were clear clocks which is great. However maybe just me going mental but it felt like (specifically round 3) a call out for last turn was made and less than 5 minutes later was last activation.
  • Little thing, even Lee thought about. Best in Faction. It's not needed, however the 7 different colour deck boxes would've been perfect and I think although I like the raffle having a bit less in that and a bit more earned is cool. Even if not trophies and something like the deck boxes prizes can be spread further. I like "best in faction" to include the podium but if it's just for little giveaways going outside is cool (Connor getting Arcanist box for example).
  • The cave table. I think it was cool looking but was also dreading getting put on it. Appreciate Zac did ask about it on Twitter and this is your first event so you won't have as much terrain as others (especially Clousseau) but that table looked like it may be unusable in certain strategies and/or deployments.

With reference to the above, I agree with the first point, John & I were caught out by this. I also agree with the prize mix and it'll be interesting to see how the new Wyrd tournament packs will affect this (we'll see at Cow Wars). As for the third point I have a similar problem with a couple of my boards so try to have a spare table and use this for any strategies that wouldn't otherwise work. TBH its becoming harder to create tables that suit every possible strategy/scheme/deployment/faction and still make the tables interesting (which means a potentially longer set-up time).

4 minutes ago, Clousseau said:

With reference to the above, I agree with the first point, John & I were caught out by this. I also agree with the prize mix and it'll be interesting to see how the new Wyrd tournament packs will affect this (we'll see at Cow Wars). As for the third point I have a similar problem with a couple of my boards so try to have a spare table and use this for any strategies that wouldn't otherwise work. TBH its becoming harder to create tables that suit every possible strategy/scheme/deployment/faction and still make the tables interesting (which means a potentially longer set-up time).

Typically though your tables are scatter terrain and two sensible players should be able to figure something if they can't, for example, put down the markers for squatter's rights in flank.

I do agree though, it becomes harder the more different things appear, Guard the Stash for example has added to the "zones of the board you need to be able to mark and occupy".

Guys, it was a cracking event. I loved the ticket idea as it incentivised playing with painted models but didn't make it compulsory (my crew was built the weekend before so no chance of painting it all).

was a great atmosphere with some top opponents. The tables were nice and spacious and all the tables I played on were decent.

I will be on the look out for the next event. 

Some good and valid feedback chaps. Thanks for all your kind words too. I've been relaying some of it to Zac and we will be trying to plan something later this year venue permitting. 

I'll hold my hands up a bit on the very last turn, the last turn call came in a couple of minutes late which meant it impinged on the last activation call. Only a minute or so, but i appreciate that can make all the difference. Ultimately the game still had 2 hours though. 

Deck Boxes for best in faction was something we mooted last minute but we went with it as it was. Something to consider, certainly.

The Mines table was clearly a bit of an issue after the first game and we were fortunate to have that spare table due to no shows so a decision was made to retire it after round 1. A few lessons potentially on tables too. Very subjective tables and their structure but on the whole it seems you guys were happy. 

Would people find an organised lunch not having to go out a better idea if options were given pre-tourney. This could allow for either 4 games or just a more relaxed event? I'm sure it's not beyond the realms that even Greggs would allow an order to be placed pre-tourney for 32 meal deals....(or similar).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SurreyLee said:

Would people find an organised lunch not having to go out a better idea if options were given pre-tourney. This could allow for either 4 games or just a more relaxed event? I'm sure it's not beyond the realms that even Greggs would allow an order to be placed pre-tourney for 32 meal deals....(or similar).

Organised lunches are great.

Only thing is it's more for the TO to do and not always simple; dietary requirements, costs, finding somewhere to oraganise it with.

Not saying it's impossible, far from it, just not something I ever expect of a TO especially single day events.

However, again yes I'd like it, you would be able to save a lot of time in and around lunch to get the extra round in if wanted and still have decent round times.