Best of the Best 2017

OldManMyke

Very early heads up on an event I am thinking of running in early 2017 - might not happen but thought it was worth letting folks see the idea, let me know what you think via the usual channels

You might be an event winner, you might even be a master but are you the Best of the Best 

The Best of the Best is a Invitational Malifaux tournament using a double elimination format.

Invitations will be issued to anyone who has placed in the top 3 at any tournament in the previous year – this includes story encounters but not team or doubles events.

Entrance will be free

Prizes

Cheap Plastic tat

Double elimination works as follows

Assuming 32 players

Round 1 is a random draw

Round 2 winners play winners and losers play losers.

At the end of round 2 we have 8 players on 2 wins, 16 players on 1 and 1 and 8 players on 2 losses.  The 8 on 2 losses are eliminated, 16 players will play each other and the 8 double winners get bye.

At end of round 3 we have 16 players on 2 wins.  And 8 remaining players on 2 losses.  They are eliminated

The event then proceeds as a straight elimination though the two losing players in the semi finals playoff to determine 3rd

If you draw you will use a scoring countback mechanism to determine the winner.  If still tied then high card wins.  The fickle hand of fate obviously didn’t want you to succeed.

Even more so. I play toy soldiers for fun. When money is involved it stops being a fun pastime and becomes something else. Friendships become strained, if not ruined. 

No problem with the event format, or prize support in models or whatever (within sensible limits)

But I can't see any way this could be a good thing for the game or the community of players.

• Like 2

Hm, interesting question. To me, that amount would make it a probably not very enjoyable weekend of tense gambling with way better odds than any lottery can offer. 

But that is not the reason I play the game in the first place, and I'd rather keep it that way. 

And I'm not just afraid of "other people" being dicks, I'm afraid my own attitude could change as well. I don't say it will for certain, but I'm not confident enough to say I won't care if I win or lose if there is a significant amount of money involved.

• Like 5

Yeah, it sounds like fun!

If enough people are around there will be enough things to do for those being out. That is probably my only concern - some people might travel quite far for the possibility of two games and bam, go home!

But with either boardgames around, random Malifaux games, or story encounters, everyone can be entertained I assume.

The draw things seems like an elegant solution, and I can't think of anything better or different.

My thoughts

And not to weigh in two footed not a fan of the cash prize, although kinda cool, I'd much rather if there is cash prize it be in a form of a donation to charity.

However 

I do really like the idea, I do really like the format, and would be very happy to get an invite (if I met the criteria) and attend! I think it's the best of both worlds to run both this kinda event and the masters! Ticks boxes for all different people and could see a rise in story encounters, which is nice, more types of events imo are only a good thing.

Taking it a step further you could have this winner vs the masters winner for lols

• Like 2

The format of the event definitely sounds good and gives you that little bit more to aim for for prestige but like the other posts I'm not keen on cash prizes.

Throughout my career in finance and customer services I find that when money is at stake it really changes people, it will cause the outcome of every game to mean more and I can see it promote more negative experiences and seriously reduce enjoyment.

I really enjoyed everyone of your events I been too and I want that to stay the same.

• Like 1

I like the idea. I'm not sure what I feel about the prize money, its not the reason I play at events. 

On your 32 player set up you have 7 rounds to get to a winner. That does suggest you are looking at a 2 day event. If I get a weekend pass for an event, I would like to feel I'll be doing something after lunch on the first day. And I would like something to be going on on the second day to take part in(and in 2015 I think this format would have produced well over 64 possible entrants so might have to go for more than 8 rounds). Granted this may well be some sort of unrelated event run by someone else but the presence of at least a Sunday equivalent of a League of extraordinary henchman would make me much more likely to attend. 

And whilst Draws through the event can be resolve on count back (due to timing) could I suggest the final game would carry on with extra turns until there is a winner. Or at least until both players agree that they can't win anymore, to try and make it a fitting climax to the game. 

Thanks for all the replies.  As hopefully some of you will have guessed the money aspect of this was a small social experiment and i am extremely gratified at the rejection of the concept.  The idea of playing toy soldiers for cash is abhorant to me and it seems to you as well.  I'm also very impresed with the honesty of those who have said that whilst they would be uncomfortable with the idea they would still play - you guys get special hugs.

so with that out the way onto the concept of the event itself, i do think that a elmination style event could be a lot of fun provided we have coverage for those knocked out so will probably look at doing it.  No prize greater than a piece of cheap plastic tat though

thanks again for your honesty

Oh and just in case anyone thinks that i am just using this as a convenient excuse, i did give Mythicfox a heads up i was doing this as a little experiment 

• Like 1

Slightly late to this party, but I absolutely agree with what many other have said. I don't like to play for anything other than the enjoyment of the game for myself and my opponent. Money is not something I'd ever want to win by playing this game and I would probably not sign up to an event where it was all about the prizes be it monetary or otherwise. I much prefer the idea of any prizes (other than trophies) being distributed by a raffle system where everyone at the event has an equal chance of winning regardless of player skill. If I ever managed to win an event that would be worth more to me than a prize.

In all honesty I am unlikely to qualify for such an event but do like the format if there is something for when people are eliminated to do too. 

I'm unlikely to qualify for such an event but i'd be interested to see how many people, that weren't in fact invited to the current Masters set up would actually qualify for this. I've attended a half dozen tourney's in the last year and i'd say the top three, each time, are already invited to the Masters. It potentially seems a little like duplication. Okay, a few other folks will get invites but enough to make it that different?

That said, given enough weekend passes, convenience etc, i'd likely attend if I got a top three placing. Format itself seems okay and side games etc could make it fun even if knocked out early.

The format looks fine as long as something was on for those people that dropped out - could I put in an early event for a story encounter or free gaming (board games or other little games that people could play). Without something else being on I don't know if I would want to spend a weekend pass on the event.

As it looks to mostly be a society "thing" having a meal or something in the evening would be great, all be it a potential headache to organize. 

Not that I would qualify for such an event, being out of practice and washed up as I am.

• Like 1

There are more than 30 first place icons in the current rankings. Plus 2nds and 3rds will make a nice big pool of eligible people. 60 or so at least. Definitely bigger and more insane than the masters!

It also is more inclusive to people that can't travel to big tournaments every other weekend, but still win the smaller ones at home (speaking from a Scottish perspective here).

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MariFaux said:

There are more than 30 first place icons in the current rankings. Plus 2nds and 3rds will make a nice big pool of eligible people. 60 or so at least. Definitely bigger and more insane than the masters!

Okay, far more than i'd have thunk. I stand corrected. 

It's an interesting concept etc and yeah if I could swing a pass would be up for it.