Kirai tips?

Obeisance

Still experimenting with Kirai I ran into the following situation and wondered how it would be played out.

Kirai is the target of an attack action but her defense trigger is activated after she cheats the necessary card and suit in the duel. Since a Seishin is in range with Kirai it instead suffers the result of the attack killing the Seishin. At the same time Datsue Ba is in range of the Seishin and has the upgrade that allows a Seishin that is killed to be 'saved' by having Datsue Ba take 1 hit while the Seishin recovers one.

In the above situation is Datsue Ba able to 'save' the Seishin?

12 minutes ago, Dassenkop said:

Still experimenting with Kirai I ran into the following situation and wondered how it would be played out.

Kirai is the target of an attack action but her defense trigger is activated after she cheats the necessary card and suit in the duel. Since a Seishin is in range with Kirai it instead suffers the result of the attack killing the Seishin. At the same time Datsue Ba is in range of the Seishin and has the upgrade that allows a Seishin that is killed to be 'saved' by having Datsue Ba take 1 hit while the Seishin recovers one.

In the above situation is Datsue Ba able to 'save' the Seishin?

If the attack that Kirai deflected to the Seishin would kill it, then yes, Datsue Ba can take the wound to have the Seishin survive and heal one wound, assuming she has the upgrade attached. If you put the upgrade on Kirai herself, she can do the exact same, which can be a great way of reducing attacks that deal massive damage down to a pittance.

12 minutes ago, Tayne said:

Yep. And she could use a soulstone to prevent that damage, if she really wanted.

I'm pretty sure she couldn't, actually. The upgrade is worded in such a way that if the model that owns it doesn't suffer a wound, the Seishin will still die and will not heal a wound. Preventing all damage means that the model hasn't suffered a wound.

It is trivial to heal it later, though, with Ikiryo or the Lost Love.

• 3 weeks later...

Very helpful thread, great insights!

I recently started out with the game and have my first Crew ready, which is Kirai. I focused on models with an asian touch so my choices are a bit limited, but I think they'll do for starting out. I currently have the following models assembled and ready for play: Kirai, Lost Love, Ikiryo, Datuse Ba, Izamu, Yin the Panengalan, 1 Flesh Construct, 2 Shikome, 2 Hanged, 2 Onyro, 3 Gaki and 5 Seishin. People around me also just started out and mostly they bring two lists, one for 35 and one for 50 SS. After reading through the forums a bit, it appears that people seem to summon the things I would want to hire and go for models that I don't have. The lists I'm planning would look something like this:

-Kirai; Unforgiven, Spirit Beacon (3)

-Lost Love (4)

-Datsue Ba; Spirit Whispers (9)

-2 Onyro (10)

-1 Shikome (8)

35 SS (Cache 4)

-Kirai; Unforgiven, Spirit Beacon, Absorb Spirit (4)

-Lost Love (4)

-Datsue Ba; Spirit Whispers (9)

-Izamu the Armor; Unnerving Aura (11)

-2 Onyro (10)

-1 Shikome (8)

-1 Night Terror (3)

50 SS (Cache 4)

I went with Unforgiven and Spirit Beacon because they're the most essential upgrades in my view. The extra damage, though a trigger, comes handy because I already have Onryos and Datsue Ba who can hand out Adversary. The bonuses to summoning seem quite awesome too. Spirit Beacon is there to avoid hard hitting attacks. I also added Absorb Spirit in the 50 SS list, because the Buff seems quite nice for when it really matters and drawing cards is always great. Datsue Ba is there for some control and mean things and summoning Seishin for Kirai to turn into something more useful.

Onyro look awesome to me. At least on paper. Maybe I should stick with everybody's experience here and summon them instead of hiring, but I really want to try them in my core list. They hand out adversary and poison which is great for everybody and especially the Shikome. Plus they're incorporeal and have pretty decent attacks for a 5 SS minion from what I can tell. Not being able to trigger for Ikiryo seems to be the only downside they have in my opinion. Having three Gaki, another Shikome and two Hanged left for summoning, I shouldn't run out of stuff to put on the table.

Shikome seem like an overall brutal Minion with only it's cost as a downside. I want one in my core list because she fits aesthetically and I don't want to rely on being able to summon them early. For the 50 SS list I added Izamu which is pretty much a no-brainer and a Night Terror which seems like a super decent minion for only 3 SS (easy proxy).

This leaves me with 1 extra SS for the Cache in both lists. Is this okay for a Kirai crew? Let me know what you think, all input is highly appreciated!

I wouldnt hire anything you can summon save for maybe Night Terrors, due to them being very anti-Rasputina and anti-shooty, as well as being 3 point incorporeal hard to kill models. Those abilities all togehter just make me feel warm inside. I like Necropunks as scheme runners for her, since you can summon Onyro, Night Terrors, and Gaki off of them turn 1, then have them activate, heal, and start planting scheme markers for Phillip to eat or for the scheme in general. 

I should also mention hiring more Undead/Living models for Ikyro to pop out of. Phillip is my favorite for this, and for him to hold Take Back the Night. He provides so much card advantage and blocks alot of charge lanes for me. Belles/Nurses are also really strong as well with Kirai (And who arent they strong with?) I've yet to try Nurses, but Belles make positioning that much more advantageous for you, especially for setting up an Izamu alpha strike or getting models in range of The Hanged's Whispers of Beyond. By the way, you should summon as many of those bad boys as possible. You know what is mean? 3 hanged, Ikyro, and Izamu all threatening parts of the board! :D

The Flesh Construct isnt a bad summoning battery and for newer players I recommend starting there since he can plant schemes and just stay near her as Ikyro bait and he heals slowly each turn, but has alot of health to accomodate summoning Shikome/Hanged off of.

In my last game, Pandora paraylyzed one of my Night Terrors who had 1hp left. If he activated, he would have had to make a Def 13 duel I believe or die to her, so I had Kirai swirl him back to her in place of a Seishin, and then summoned The Hanged off of him, since he was as good as dead. 

Kirai is the most flexible of all of the Resser masters (with Tara/McM being probably a close second, but I've yet to field Tara). Her tricks should be ABUSED liberally IMO. And sacrificing dying models is incredibly fun. Or making your opponent waste AP removing Seishin, and healing them with Spirit beacon, to activate them, swing at the thing trying to kill them, then sacrifice themselves to heal the model with Spirit Beacon. Kirai to me a fair master. But she's a huge middle finger to the opponent, since she can just so easily adapt to anything and run most things well.