Dia de los Muertos - The Ortegas & Co.

haychdee

3 hours ago, Munindk said:

Rotten Belles could be an alternate source of dresses, they're cheaper than buying the Jack Daw box but $3 more than the Coryphee box. There are also a few dresses in the Female Multi-part Kit.

The Rotten Belles are not wearing dresses, ad least not the new ones and the multi kits don't really have dresses and things are off-scale, but haychdee might think differently I guess.

4 hours ago, WalkingInBlack said:

Or Option 3: Take some Greenstuff and start making a dress over Perdita's legs :)

Unfortunately her jacket isnt right for the theme either. Would be a big contrast between the 2 styles. Youre also right in that the TTB dresses arent the right style either. 

4 hours ago, Munindk said:

Rotten Belles could be an alternate source of dresses, they're cheaper than buying the Jack Daw box but $3 more than the Coryphee box. There are also a few dresses in the Female Multi-part Kit.

I did look at the belles but theres only 1 thats kinda in theme with a nice big dress. The other 2 are a bit too slutty which I suppose is just fine for the belles. The coryphee dresses arent tradational as such but they are a longer fit and have some nice details.

3 hours ago, Stark said:

You need a Cordelia from Anima tactics. Perfect fitted scale)

Hide contents

CISCS2011_500.jpeg.b89f910dcd5974960f8d6

This is a lovely mini, thanks for the share. It would be ideal but as Im a regular tourney player I cant rely on using other minis as proxies.

Input is appreciated guys, thanks.

HD

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Santiago is looking really good. The pin striping is a nice touch and the red vest in particular stands out well. I am not really a fan of NMM myself but what you have there looks good. Love the idea for this crew and think it will end up looking absolutely amazing.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:40 AM, haychdee said:

@WalkingInBlack thanks for those reference images. They are a big too sexed up for the Perdita conversion I had in mind but I might use them as reference when looking at making some Pistoleros. Will definitely be using them when deciding on my colour choice though.

So just a very small update this time but hopefully a bigger one to come next Monday.

C&C as always is welcome

HD

Ahh okay, those dresses were not that uncommonly used by Spanish/Mexican women, and the skirt of the first one ae slit up on the side for mobility, and the dress in picture number two is also common in the Victorian age, but its not my place to tell you what to think but I'll still explain that those outfits were commonly seen back then :)

You could use picture number two by adding some fabric in the open area between the neck chocker and shoulders.

I love your paintwork and conversions and it has given me some ideas for some of my own Projects and an idea for a Grimlin version... that probably won't happen a long time.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This thread is back from los muertos!!!

As Stark mentioned I have been away working on the Iron Painter competition so I've had no spare time to dedicate to this little project.

However, that is no longer the case! After taking a few weeks off to chill out I am back in full swing and cracking on with the Ortega's.

I am heading up to Scotland on the 23rd for the GT and I WILL be taking a fully painted crew up with me. The deadline leaves things very tight and I am currently working to a strict schedule to get these guys done. Unfortunately, I won't have time to do some of the freehand I had planned but once the tourney is out of the way I will re-visit them and fine tune the whole gang.

But I can't make a post and not bring you some pictures so I have a few to share for you

Firstly, I have bought some new toys and I have now invested in an airbrush. Just a beginners one at the mo but in future projects hopefully I can use it to better my skills. Also note the schedule pinned up to ensure I'm hitting my goals.

20160714_190440_zpsd2qnsp2u.jpg

Next up we have a very WIP shot of Perdita. She's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster at the moment as she has the body of Lady Ligeia, the pistols of a convict gunslinger and a TTB head.
I'm aware than at the moment those pistols might look a tad on the large side. IRL they fit quite well but once I've sculpted up some big hair I'm pretty confident it'll all balance out.

20160714_190602_zpswi0o3lex.jpg

Then we have Papa Loco. So the plan was to paint Loco as normal and just replace him on the display board with someone more in theme. The models replacing him and the Nephilim were due to be Westrels. But once I'd started to play around with the Westrels I had an idea for a conversion.
So then this guy was created. He's made up from a Westrel body with his legs bent into a slightly crooked pose. He has the arms from bolt action Russian infantry and the gun and head from Loco himself. I'm really happy with this guy, I think I've kept him in theme with the others and hopefully still capture a little bit of his craziness. I will also be modelling a leg strapped up with TNT like his original.

20160714_190637_zpscdwmaolc.jpg

Oh and before I forget, I can also show you a little sneak peak of the display board I'm working on. It's made from a picture frame and foam card. The front is all hand painted and I'm currently sculpting out all the brick work on top which is taking an age!

20160714_194541_zpsvwzjq7hq.jpg

And that's pretty much in for now folks. Like I say I'm powering through now to get these guys all ready for next weekend. I will hopefully drop a few pictures of Perdita and Loco in their finished conversion state. Then once I'm back from the GT I'll take some nice pictures of everything all painted up.

C&C, questions and queries all welcome

hd

• Like 9

2 hours ago, haychdee said:

This thread is back from los muertos!!!

As Stark mentioned I have been away working on the Iron Painter competition so I've had no spare time to dedicate to this little project.

However, that is no longer the case! After taking a few weeks off to chill out I am back in full swing and cracking on with the Ortega's.

I am heading up to Scotland on the 23rd for the GT and I WILL be taking a fully painted crew up with me. The deadline leaves things very tight and I am currently working to a strict schedule to get these guys done. Unfortunately, I won't have time to do some of the freehand I had planned but once the tourney is out of the way I will re-visit them and fine tune the whole gang.

But I can't make a post and not bring you some pictures so I have a few to share for you

Firstly, I have bought some new toys and I have now invested in an airbrush. Just a beginners one at the mo but in future projects hopefully I can use it to better my skills. Also note the schedule pinned up to ensure I'm hitting my goals.

20160714_190440_zpsd2qnsp2u.jpg

Next up we have a very WIP shot of Perdita. She's a bit of a Frankenstein's monster at the moment as she has the body of Lady Ligeia, the pistols of a convict gunslinger and a TTB head.
I'm aware than at the moment those pistols might look a tad on the large side. IRL they fit quite well but once I've sculpted up some big hair I'm pretty confident it'll all balance out.

20160714_190602_zpswi0o3lex.jpg 

Then we have Papa Loco. So the plan was to paint Loco as normal and just replace him on the display board with someone more in theme. The models replacing him and the Nephilim were due to be Westrels. But once I'd started to play around with the Westrels I had an idea for a conversion.
So then this guy was created. He's made up from a Westrel body with his legs bent into a slightly crooked pose. He has the arms from bolt action Russian infantry and the gun and head from Loco himself. I'm really happy with this guy. I think I've kept him in theme with the others and hopefully still capture a little bit of his craziness. I will also be modelling a leg strapped up with TNT like his original.

20160714_190637_zpscdwmaolc.jpg

Oh and before I forget, I can also show you a little sneak peak of the display board I'm working on. It's made from a picture frame and foam card. The front is all hand painted and I'm currently sculpting out all the brick work on top

20160714_194541_zpsvwzjq7hq.jpg

And that's pretty much in for now folks. Like I say I'm powering through now to get these guys all ready for next weekend. I will hopefully drop a few pictures of Perdita and Loco in their finished conversion state. Then once I'm back from the GT I'll take some nice pictures of everything all painted up.

C&C, questions and queries all welcome

hd

Love the Pedita, the guns doesn't look that big, but do remind me a bit of a Pistol Wraith ad this stage :)

Defiantly looking forward to your work... and not the work I have loaded on myself.

• 1 month later...

It's been far too long again without an update so here goes...

Thankfully I did manage to get these guys all painted up for the Scottish GT and I'm pleased to say that the hard work paid off as I managed to walk away with the Best Painted award. Aside from that, the Scottish GT was probably the best tournament I've been to yet, very well run, great prize support and met a whole bunch of friendly people.

Anyways, on with the update!

So as mentioned the crew is finished for now and they currently look like this

20160828_134022_zpsialblbcj.jpg

(Apologies on the not so great photo, my new set up should be on its way soon)

And I also got their display board sorted which looks like this

20160828_134247_zpsmfmlqv4d.jpg

(Again, not a great photo, sorry)

So this was meant to be the crew done. I was gonna draw a line under these guys and move on to the next project ready for the UK nationals. But, being the usual sub par timekeeper I am I've not really left myself a whole lot of time to order a new crew, convert them up and get them painted.

So now the plan is to reinforce Perdita and co with a few models and then go back over each member to add more detail and freehand etc.

My latest order is on the way so over the next or so I'll be making a start on wave 2 for this crew and hopefully by the time Nationals rolls around I will have a better photography set up.

Until then, all C&C welcome

hd

Amazing, I love what you have done, to bad you don't do commissions... you don't do commissions do you??

• Like 3

I am totally amazed by your conversion skill. I've tried doing conversions on that level with those models, and failed. Such finicky little bits...

The abuella conversion is awesome, though I'm a little disappointed that you didn't do a little work on the executioner's hood to make it even more like a luchador mask.

I normally try to provide some flavor of constructive criticism, but I've got nothing. You're way better at this than I am.

QUESTION: What's that list you have posted up in your airbrush booth? Some sort of color reference?

• Like 1