Crossroads 7 and you

MR TORGUE

So the Crossroads 7 are finally available and its totally legal to run them as a standalone crew... further they can declare any faction which is a great mind game for prospective opponents. The question is how many people have tried running them in a 50 point game as a stand-alone crew and what were your experiences?

I have a game coming up shortly so i'll most likely share my experiences but i'm apprehensive to believe they will be as effective as a properly constructed 50 point crew.
Thinking of ganging up on models with 2-3 models at a time to utilise their annoying aura's (keeping in mind pride and wrath's double edged sword aura abilities of course).

Anyways I look forward to peoples feedback if any. Awgh I can't wait to use these new characters!!!! 

Note: Not sure which faction to post on since they are multi-factional -- although wrath is NB so thought i'd start here. apologies if this upsets anyone. 

Haven't played yet, but I might give them a try as my first ever crew :)

Thinking of playing them as Outcasts with Creeping Terror on Envy, since that seems pretty helpful.

Also debating leaving off one of the 7 to include a Performer or Oiran perhaps, or a Malifaux Child for movement shenanigans.

• Like 1

The band played together is a fun novelty, for the experience of playing the band. They are not a well designed an high functioning team together, and are not a competitive option. You play the band together because you want to play the band. They were never intended to be a holistic or powerful crew when fielded together.

That isn't to say it is impossible to win with them, but even the most skilled players in the world I would argue would have a difficult time going all the way in a competitive environment with them. 

You can read more specifics at Joel Henry's blog, the philosophy of uncertainty, as he is a very skilled and well known player from the UK, and he posted some thoughts on the band in August/September I believe.

Also, if you are playing the band you can't leave off any of the band to hire something else. Wrath's special ability to hire the band without merc costs (well except for his) and attach his 0 cost upgrade is dependent on having ALL seven of the band in the crew. The instant you don't brin the full 7 you can't attach that upgrade and you have to pay merc taxes on the band, and then can't have more than 2 mercs in the crew.

it might seem restrictive, but at first you weren't even able to hire to ban together. There was enough requests to do so during play testing that Justin made it possible, but they aren't a traditional crew in the sense that they were ever designed to actually function when played together, as they weren't. In the fluff the band actually don't like each other and are rarely in the same place at the same time. 

If you are just getting into Malifaux they would not be my first recommendation as a first crew, unless you just love the idea of them, in which case I'd say go for them , but don't get frustrated by them if you find they don't really work well together all that often.

I don't play outcasts much but I think some outcast players are getting good Mileage out of Jack Daw and a few members of the band, perhaps one of them would like to speculate. :)

Edited by Fetid Strumpet
  • Like 1

I haven't played them and probably won't. However, here is a little Theoryfaux for you:
- Consider Lust, Envy and Wrath as the prime models in the crew (movement/control, heavy ranged support + extras, solid melee)
- you will want to inconvenience key enemy models by putting them out position one at a time and surrounding them with auras, while in the meantime focusing your attacks on another model
- be careful of your activation sequence as you try to learn how the models work and keep in mind that they don't have the very best of synergies as a team
- since this is the Neverborn thread: Take the Primordial Magic. Or Retribution's Eye and another (1) upgrade of your choice. If taken in another faction, look for the best upgrades: Recalled Training for 10T, Imbued Energies for Arcanists, Oathkeeper for Outcasts, etc.
Hope this helps at least a little. Do tell after the match how it went and why :)
Disclaimer: I don't have a good enough understanding of the CR7 yet and might be wrong/overlooking important abilities and roles. Heed advice from lazy poster with caution.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

some solid advise; i think you've confirmed what i've already been thinking after looking through the cards in that they are a novelty 'good-times' crew.  

I initially bought them for the multi-faction and merc possibilities of adding them to existing crews but i reckon it will be cool to spring them on a few local players to mix up the scene.

Who knows; maybe i could try running them as my prime crew for a while and undergo brutal shaolin like training sessions in the mountains against the very best malifaux players whom had no choice but to shut themselves away from the society of man lest their strong faux-fu be exploited and used to ruin the world. 
Then several years later following my descent from the mountain with my knowledge of the seven faction faux-fu I obliterate all opponents before me, the crossroads 7 being the vessel of my fury.
Then in a turn of events following my great hubris I am finally pit against my seven masters in the finals of the M4E world GT. There in the embers of the final battle I kneel over the broken bodies of my old teachers, a blood covered Lust lays discarded amongst the charred remains of the gaming table and tears run, streaking down my soot coated cheeks as i realise i squandered my responsibility, that I succumbed to the intoxicating powers of the seven styles and I failed those whom had put such responsibility in my hands...                 ...or i just end up losing a few games and start using them as mercs...

I suppose time will only tell.

...Why do i have an overwhelming urge to buy shenlongs crew box now... 

• Like 2

I haven't played them and probably won't. However, here is a little Theoryfaux for you:
- Consider Lust, Envy and Wrath as the prime models in the crew (movement/control, heavy ranged support + extras, solid melee)
- you will want to inconvenience key enemy models by putting them out position one at a time and surrounding them with auras, while in the meantime focusing your attacks on another model
- be careful of your activation sequence as you try to learn how the models work and keep in mind that they don't have the very best of synergies as a team
- since this is the Neverborn thread: Take the Primordial Magic. Or Retribution's Eye and another (1) upgrade of your choice. If taken in another faction, look for the best upgrades: Recalled Training for 10T, Imbued Energies for Arcanists, Oathkeeper for Outcasts, etc.
Hope this helps at least a little. Do tell after the match how it went and why :)
Disclaimer: I don't have a good enough understanding of the CR7 yet and might be wrong/overlooking important abilities and roles. Heed advice from lazy poster with caution.

I'm actually considering Sloth as a "core" crew as well, due to his high wounds, healing ability and paralysis/slow. Not an actual beatstick, but somewhat tanky. Similarly, Greed seems to be a solid resource-drainer and damager.

Haven't played yet, but I might give them a try as my first ever crew :)

Thinking of playing them as Outcasts with Creeping Terror on Envy, since that seems pretty helpful.

Also debating leaving off one of the 7 to include a Performer or Oiran perhaps, or a Malifaux Child for movement shenanigans.

Not an option if you're playing a 50+ game. The only way for Wrath to be able to lead at that size is to have at least 7 C7 models.

3 people of the 88 at the UKGT took the option to play the crossroad 7 as their crew. 

They Finished 86th, 82nd and 58th. 

If you only want to play partial band, then you will have to buy Jack Daw and use him as your leader, since he can hire tormented models regardless of faction. 

so for 0-3 Band members you can use any master, 4-6 only possible with Jack Daw, and 7 can be lead by Wrath (And Jack if you are playing a large enough game). 

As a crew, they have a little too much overlap and replication of abilities to be great. Soemtiems you can get it to work, but there is an aweful lot of things to remember. I don't think I've played a game with multiple Band members when I've not forgotten at least 1 aura. 

3 people of the 88 at the UKGT took the option to play the crossroad 7 as their crew. 

They Finished 86th, 82nd and 58th...

...As a crew, they have a little too much overlap and replication of abilities to be great. Soemtiems you can get it to work, but there is an aweful lot of things to remember. I don't think I've played a game with multiple Band members when I've not forgotten at least 1 aura. 

Numbers speak for themselves there; Definitely a novelty then... 
I've been milling over the cards and can definitely see myself having the same prob and your right with the overlap - still it'll prov a bit of fun and variety for a game of two and scheming up some great combos for taking them as enforcers/mercs in differing crews.

Edited by tollstar_deluxe