M2e Colette

LulleK

I've used Killjoy with some success alongside Myranda, especially in turf war style schemes, Colette can prompt Myranda and give reactivate, and with her decent walk that gives her the ability to get pretty far upfield before sacrificing herself to pop out KillJoy and a beast (usually Cerberus or Blessed) wherever you need them. it's a 21ss combo so I have to be careful with the rest of my spend to get the schemes done (22 if you take imbued on Myranda for either an extra move or cards for Killjoys arrival) 

the biggest flaw in this is if I take it against a killy leader (lilith is an issue) they can easily take  out one, if not both beaters unless I have activation advantage and usually need seize the day to get the first turn. also I need to remember to pop the beast as far  from Killjoy as possible to avoid black blood splashback.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Inspired by a question posted by @Newbie arcanist in a Rules question regarding interact actions:

For Colette scheme dropping: a Performer within Colette's aura with a nearby Mannequin can drop 3 scheme markers total if she can arrange them to be 4" apart when using the Mannequin's ability with all of its restrictions. One as a (0) and the other two as (1). They can then be prompted to drop more if needed, even if engaged. They just have to make sure that the scheme marker is at 6" or less from the Performer and in LOS, 4" or more from other friendly scheme markers, and not in terrain.

The fast moving Coryphee Duet can do something similar, using its Swift AP to move up, the Mannequin's Mechanical Adorations ability to place (assuming Mannequin already activated and popped its aura), then using the (0) and two remaining AP to spit out 3 tokens in a single activation, giving you Search the Ruins, A Line in the Sand, Convict Labor, Covert Breakthrough, and similar 3-marker schemes in a single activation.

This doesn't even require deliberately building to drop schemes. It's hiring a single 4SS Mannequin into a crew that has Coryphee in it already (for option 2) or a Performer (for option 1), both of which are solid inclusions for Colette (depending on schemes in the pool).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spooky_squirrel said:

The fast moving Coryphee Duet can do something similar, using its Swift AP to move up, the Mannequin's Mechanical Adorations ability to place (assuming Mannequin already activated and popped its aura), then using the (0) and two remaining AP to spit out 3 tokens in a single activation, giving you Search the Ruins, A Line in the Sand, Convict Labor, Covert Breakthrough, and similar 3-marker schemes in a single activation.

Cassandra can do the same, albeit, using her (0) to place schemes isn't something normally seen, but at the end of the game if she's cleared out the area around her, I could see her going after the mannequin's popped its ability, used her nimble to get into position/drag the mannequin along, and drop the markers for points. If she dies afterwards it's less of a concern because it's end of game.

Oh yeah, I've absolutely taken advantage of Cassandra and a mannequin to spam out markers at the end of the game to get Search the Ruins or Protect Territory. Its a fun way to punk out your opponent into thinking you're doing another scheme and then end of the game just vomit markers out and be up 3 points with a quickness.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a chance to try out The Great Carlos Vasquez with our favorite Showgirl master a few days ago. Quite a different feel for the crew with his long melee range to lock things down, and he's really much tankier than his Wd stat would have you believe. 

I think he's going to open up a few choices I don't often take in Colette crews. For example, I think a union miner would be an interesting add to pump up his burning for heavier hits while also allowing for some schemey ability with false claim.

Who else has ideas for the Star Theater's new Master of the Flames?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Boomstick said:

I got a chance to try out The Great Carlos Vasquez with our favorite Showgirl master a few days ago. Quite a different feel for the crew with his long melee range to lock things down, and he's really much tankier than his Wd stat would have you believe. 

I think he's going to open up a few choices I don't often take in Colette crews. For example, I think a union miner would be an interesting add to pump up his burning for heavier hits while also allowing for some schemey ability with false claim.

Who else has ideas for the Star Theater's new Master of the Flames?

I've actually been bringing him with Kaeris. With her Purifying Flames he becomes so damn tanky its kinda funny. As far as using him with Colette, I like him for when you need to do Guard the Stash. I think between him and Envy, you have 2 solid prompt targets that are gonna stick around where you need them to be

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mrbedlam said:

I've actually been bringing him with Kaeris. With her Purifying Flames he becomes so damn tanky its kinda funny. As far as using him with Colette, I like him for when you need to do Guard the Stash. I think between him and Envy, you have 2 solid prompt targets that are gonna stick around where you need them to be

I think his pyre markers will come in very handy with board control, especially if the schemes promote area denial through scheme markers (Detonate the Charges, Set Up) or you're camping an Envy somewhere that's overwatching scheme markers. Carlos and an Ice Dancer will create some interesting traps whether under Colette or Kaeris.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fictor said:

Carlos is a beast, last game I do, walk + pilar + walk + move pilar for 4 duels and then... 3 promt + walk for move the pilar and kill 4 miniaturas... xD

You only take hazardous terrain damage when you enter it or activate in it. Carlos moving the markers around doesn't do any immediate damage, only sets up for later damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So with the recent change to prompt, what are peoples immediate thoughts on the future of Colette? Do you suspect you'll be altering your lists any? Maybe take more solid middle tier models instead of one or two bigger ones?

Personally I don't see a massive shift in my own style of play as I typically run her in a more minion heavy crew rather than relying on the single lynchpin models. I suspect there will be an adjustment period and a more calculated style is probably required but overall I still see her as one of the top in her game.

• Like 1

I see my lists staying relatively the same: solid minions, a Showgirl henchman, and a big beater/distraction piece a la Howard or Coryphee. I honestly can't think of a time past my first gameor two with her where I've Prompted the same target more than once a turn anyway, but apparently that's a thing people have been doing. I'm glad for the change so people can stretch beyond such limited comfort zone with her and see everything else she can do.

Honestly, given the choice between the errata to her or Union Miners/addition of Carlos to the crew, I think the combination of the latter will change my lists and playstyle with her more than the former. 

• Like 1

Anyone has tried the new errata 2017 Colette ?

I try it with GG 2016 headhunter' strategy.

Against outcast I've no needed to prompt model to attack more than a times,but I've noticed that now we cannot prompt attack with Cassandra to make the uber prompt for trigger..

So with the new errata change to prompt, i've been looking more into "all together now" It can be a somewhat difficult ability to get the most use out of and is probably something you'd want to tailor a crew around. I was curious if anyone has any experience with this ability and could shed some pointers on a good setup. 

I feel like the best way in making this work is to go with mostly cheap ranged models to stay within her bubble. Also models who can drop additional markers for little investment such as the union miner and/or practiced production. Another reason to go cheap is typically cheap models don't have any (0) actions and so making use of Colette's aura doesn't affect their own abilities. 

Maybe something like the oxfordian mages with their new update. They're cheap, ranged and without a (0) and should have an easier time staying within range of Colette. Fire gamin are another really good option as they are super cheap, but have a very effective shooting attack for their cost. Performers are another very obvious inclusion as they can drop while engaged. 

All together looks problematic. You need to put plenty of markers in places that potentially will be useful, then use ATN to prform one action: attack, if in right position to, throw marker into more convenient place (that might be moving only by 1'" + base size), move into area where VP can be gained... For me looks like last turn action only.

Prompt was very versatile action. Other actions are mostly situational so if Colette use other actions like for example Disappearing Act she might found herself alone with weak short range attacks and  4 Wk.

Prompt is still quite versatile, moreso in some ways, since you have to use it on different models if you want to use it more than once a turn. For me I see more people taking more crew with several solid medium priced models over one big beater a la Howard. Prompt Cassandra/Carlos/December Acolyte is still a solid use of her AP if you want to Prompt 3 times. Personally, I've been more likely to use maybe 2 Prompts a turn if there's a specific reason for it. 

Speaking of Disappearing Act, I think I'll be trying A Lady's Secret more often so I can really try a surprise teleport crew. Super mobile, everybody is always one step ahead of the opposing crew is how I see it.

25 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Prompt is still quite versatile, moreso in some ways

Prompt is in no way more versatile than before. Versatile means to have many uses, prompt now has fewer possible combinations of use than before as everything you can do now you could also do before, but there are things you could do before that you can no longer do.

5 minutes ago, Bengt said:

Prompt is in no way more versatile than before. 

Better to say Colette is more versatile then, since more players will be doing more than 3x Prompts a turn, so her style of play will expand beyond that narrow corridor (I'll admit, I've mostly seen this in newer players, but anything that lets me put my favorite master on the table with fewer rolled eyes in response is a good thing in my book).

All Together Now takes a lot of set up, from the crew hiring on. This means that it has many kinks to work out and needs more practice to use effectively.

However, there are some shortcuts you might consider. Union Miners, for instance, can spit out 5 scheme markers in their activation (at most 3 will be left at the end of the turn for scoring, so they're at least partially expendable). Each of those scheme markers becomes an additional AP for a nearby model, including the Union Miner, who can spit out two more, netting you a total of up to six additional AP for the cost of 2AP from Colette, because of one model (up to because we cannot count Colette or the Union Miner, and if you don't have enough models nearby they cannot benefit--hence get a lot of practice).

Doing this in the first turn can really screw up your opponents, especially if you have a crew crafted for it. It can be additional attacks, but it can also be additional movement, or going defensive, or using a tactical action or applying conditions. If the Strategy or Schemes call for doing a little more work (i.e. Headhunter, Tail 'Em), this is an opportunity to do that work even outside of that first or last turn.

The changes to Prompt don't have much impact on how I play Colette, but it does mean that there's no longer a "well, the only thing I have left is the Coryphee Duet, so promptx3, reactivate, and kill many things and drop many markers and score 2-4 VP off of one model getting 9 AP instead of its normal 3" option. The reason it doesn't affect me as much is I've already been steering away from a Prompt-based crew, simply because I like taking more interesting choices and I don't like having all of the work being on one model*. The perception of more versatility comes from the fact that a crutch has been kicked out from under Colette players, which (as I stated before) will cause them to investigate different ways to play than triple-prompting the scary steamborg executioner.

*Last game I played against a triple-prompt-happy Colette they lost Howard Langston relatively early, and were forced to switch gears without having planned on switching gears. Last game against a prompting crew actually had several viable prompt targets, which gets around the weakness of relying on a single model not getting paralyzed and sacrificed before it has gotten its work done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boomstick said:

Better to say Colette is more versatile then, since more players will be doing more than 3x Prompts a turn, so her style of play will expand beyond that narrow corridor (I'll admit, I've mostly seen this in newer players, but anything that lets me put my favorite master on the table with fewer rolled eyes in response is a good thing in my book).

So what if there is just, for example, already activated  Cassandra nearby because all other models was "Disappearing Acted" to different corners of board and suddenly big bad beater just jump near Colette. How versatile will be her prompt limit?