M2e Colette

LulleK

On 10/01/2017 at 10:26 AM, Adran said:

Actually you can. 

If you roll 2 d6 you have 11 possible outcomes. But if you were to bet on a number you should bet on 7. 

If you roll 2 d6 but always re-roll any results that are 7, you only have 10 possible outcomes, but if you are to bet on an outcome you have probably split the choices between 6 and 8. 

So fewer choices, but less predictability. 

It is quite unfair to talk about statistics without percentage. Please show some numbers/graphs, anything that gives us broader view on that. Right now it looks like 7 is almost certain and 2 or 12 is almost impossible. 

On 11/01/2017 at 3:21 PM, iamfanboy said:

So, uh. I'm late to the game of Colette here, but the nay-sayers who claim Colette isn't Master-class any more...

1) In a game based on AP, where a significant proportion of the game's victory conditions rely on (1) Interact actions and most Minion models lack a (0) action, how is giving them a free (0) Interact Action not Master-class?

2) In a game where Soulstones are limited, how is getting a free Soulstone for +suit a turn not Master-class?

3) Going to her upgrades, in a game where activation control is king, how is it not Master-class to be able to summon a model that can activate when her turn's over, move up to 20", then give a friendly model a positive flip Condition AND let that mode Activate immediately? Doves are awesome! Or to give multiple models +1 AP with proper planning?

If the Arcanists had a tier system, Colette dropped from Rank S(S?) to Rank A - yes, she lost power, but she was way too strong and it was due to a negative interaction between her Prompt ability giving a single beater model 5 AP total during a turn. There was no reason to do anything else on her card. It looks... boring. Noninteractive.

She's still strong, but not a no-brainer piece any more. She requires some thought and planning, as befits her established personality.

There's always a lot of hyperbole from players whose favored SS choices get Cuddled. The pattern is inevitable, I've seen it a dozen times. "Oooh, we can't use this any more, it's broken now, we're done with the game," then they try out the new version to find it works just fine. Sometimes they even post retractions or apologies. Sometimes.

Heck, now I'm wondering how well a Beater Colette would work with a Union Miner spitting out 5 Scheme Markers for her to use as Hooked Cane fodder. A 4/6/7 damage track looks pretty to me... but that might just be the Johnny in me looking to do something unexpected with a model. How to support that properly... hmm....

Ad.1 I already wrote about that, it is nice in theory, in fact You need to set things up to use it. Check one of my previous posts.

Ad.2 It's not a free soulstone but 1 free suit, and can be used ONLY if You have at least 1SS.

Ad. 3 That requires SS (which are  limited as You mentioned) for buying this upgrade, card at least 8 and diamond suit. Resource draining stuff. Dove  have only one action after summonig. Doeasn't matter how many doves You summoned, only one will chain activate.

Maybe the reason that prompt was overused was because other actions required plenty of set up and didn't pay off so well?

Anyway Colette was Cuddled, she received nothing that could make her other actions more versatile or less resource draining. If You are happy that now Colette will require from You more thining then please play lowering her Df and Wp to 4 and remove all built-in suits. That will give You even more thinking and makes so much better players. If everything is because Howard Lagston then maybe Langston is too powerful?  It would be enoug to change it to: A model OTHER THAN SHOWGIRL may be targeted by this action only once per turn.

1 hour ago, Flint said:

You keep ignoring what I am saying all the time: prompt is the only master class action Colette has. You did not show me any other versatile action that can be usable most of the game. Not on her card, surely. Disappearing Act looks nice at first glance long range and middle card required , but after taking a closer look You'll see that there is Scheme Marker required, somebody must be there to place it first (6" max range with mannequin after using Magicians Assistant). Opponent must  not see this coming or he sees that and decide that it is not worth to react or he can prepare suitable welcome comitee there. Setup required, not versatile, limited, predictable.

Colette is now forced to focus on scheme markers dropping/using. Looks more finesse. Problem is that kind of game requires much more effort than for other masters to counter it (masters, not necessarily players). If You spend three turn setting things up it may be already too late to use it because opponent already has enough VP. 

I'm not ignoring your claim, I just do not believe it. I have been playing Colette for almost as long as I've played Malifaux and have never found this claim to be true.

Disappearing Act requires a scheme marker, but many things in her crew count as a scheme marker for the purpose of Showgirl actions and abilities. This is an important detail that gets overlooked in Colette's crew. Speaking of ignoring: with how many things that Colette and her crew use scheme markers for, throwing around the word 'predictable' is just being obstinate. If I'm throwing down a marker you cannot claim that using for (a) Disappearing Act, (b) All Together Now, (c) Scheme scoring, (d) debuffing, or (e) buffing are all predictable and expect me to take your claim seriously. Predictability hinges upon there being exactly one thing that is most likely to happen.

Colette is now forced?! Most of her abilities focus on scheme markers production and use. Colette players do not need three turns to set stuff up, they just have to know what they're trying to do and do it. Complaining that she's forced to do the thing that is her strong suit is like complaining that Ramos is forced to Summon the Swarm and Mei is forced to Vent Steam. Seriously. The most powerful thing on Colette's card for actually winning the game has been her Rehearsed aura. With how many things rely on interactions to score (not just scheme markers) being able to do it as a (0) action is incredibly powerful. It means that your shooters get to move and shoot, focus and shoot, or shoot twice, and still interact. It means that you can have someone walk-walk-Exhaust/Accuse/Cursed Object someone. It means that you can pick up the Head Marker in Head Hunter as a (0). No other crew does this across the crew. No other master gives their crew this much AP efficiency.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Flint said:

It is quite unfair to talk about statistics without percentage. Please show some numbers/graphs, anything that gives us broader view on that. Right now it looks like 7 is almost certain and 2 or 12 is almost impossible. 

What Adran is saying is that you roll two dice and reroll totals of 7. This makes 7 absolutely impossible to record as you will always reroll it. Without that limitation your normal 2d6 spread is (not reduced):

2,12: 1/36
3,11: 2/36
4,10: 3/36
5,9: 4/36
6,8: 5/36
7: 6/36

2 and 12 are not "almost impossible", they're just unlikely. If you're forced to bet on a single sum in that spread, your best bet would be 7.

If you do as Adran suggests and reroll all sums of 7, the table immediately changes to:

2,12: 1/36
3,11: 2/36
4,10: 3/36
5,9: 4/36
6,8: 5/36
reroll: 6/36

You will never get a 7, and more over, the other probabilities also get adjusted slightly, because we apply their probability to the 1/6 chance of getting a reroll, then recalculate, then apply the 1/36 chance of getting a reroll after the reroll and recalculate. The actual table of probabilities looks more like:

2,12: 1/36 + sum(1/36 * (1/6)^i) where i goes from 1 to n. (n approaches infinity)
3,11: 2/36 + sum(2/36 * (1/6)^i) where i goes from 1 to n.
4,10: 3/36 + sum(3/36 * (1/6)^i) where i goes from 1 to n.
5,9: 4/36 + sum(4/36 * (1/6)^i) where i goes from 1 to n.
6,8: 5/36 + sum(5/36 * (1/6)^i) where i goes from 1 to n.

More mathematically inclined people will notice that it simplifies further to sum(base_ratio * (1/6)^i) for i from 0 to n, which further simplifies to (base_ratio) / (1- 1/6) (geometric series, a = base_ratio, r = 1/6), or (base_ratio) * (6/5), giving us the following:

2,12: 1/30
3,11: 2/30
4,10: 3/30
5,9: 4/30
6,8: 5/30

This can also be noted by making a table of all possible recorded outcomes and counting sum occurrences (30 potential outcomes when you reroll all sums of 7).

What this does it change the outcome from one single most likely outcome to multiple equally most likely outcomes (specifically two outcomes with the exact same probability of occurrence: 6 and 8). By removing the single most likely outcome we have made the whole system less predictable by the very definition of predictable.

Of interesting note is that under the constraints @Adran suggested for his example, those two new most likely outcomes end up having the same probability as the former single most likely outcome: 1/6 each.

• Like 2

Back on topic:

Colette will need to be more mindful of the Strategy and Scheme pool that she plays in to. I know I already avoid playing her into strategies that require holding ground, as other masters are better suited for this. With the release of GG2017, there's a new pool of schemes to test her mettle with. 

What are some of the ways people see using Colette into the new schemes?

@Khyodee provided a table on the S&S FB page that breaks down the types. We're looking at 8 marker-based schemes and 3 condition-based schemes out of 19 schemes total. That makes me think that Colette's got some great potential for table time this year. She's also been good at playing Undercover Entourage with her movement shenanigans and how fast models like Cassandra are: prompt once for a push-walk, then activating for nimble-walk-walk to get into position, or using Disappear to place Cassandra up to 14" up the board at the last minute, triple-walking the rest of the way into the deployment zone. So my cold read on the GG2017 schemes makes me think that Colette's abilities will play strongly into 12/19 schemes. My first tournament of this year is unfortunately under GG2016 so I haven't yet played into the new official set, but the next one in my queue is GG2017.

7 hours ago, Flint said:

Ad.1 I already wrote about that, it is nice in theory, in fact You need to set things up to use it. Check one of my previous posts.

Ad.2 It's not a free soulstone but 1 free suit, and can be used ONLY if You have at least 1SS.

Ad. 3 That requires SS (which are  limited as You mentioned) for buying this upgrade, card at least 8 and diamond suit. Resource draining stuff. Dove  have only one action after summonig. Doeasn't matter how many doves You summoned, only one will chain activate.

Maybe the reason that prompt was overused was because other actions required plenty of set up and didn't pay off so well?

It would be enoug to change it to: A model OTHER THAN SHOWGIRL may be targeted by this action only once per turn.

1) if you didn't need to set things up, it'd be too powerful. Every ability needs to have some sort of disadvantage - generally speaking its range or its cost (suit/card/AP etc.). The cost of an ability (i.e. needing to "set it up" or, in other words, having to plan for it) is a very common way of balancing auras and the like that hand out buffs. Your argument is therefore invalid as the weakness you point out is in fact one inherently built into virtually every ability.

2) How is the free suit in any way not a very valuable ability to have? You seem to always demand that an ability be more powerful for some reason, but there is no clear reason why it should be more powerful other than that it would be nice if it were more powerful.

3) Again - having a limitation on it does not make it useless. Your argument is once again invalid - what would make the ability balanced or useful in your opinion? Getting a free dove every turn? Yes, like all abilities it has a cost associated with it. And thanks to the ability you lambasted in 2), you get at least one dove for free every turn if you want it - more if you draw a high-ish mask. The dove only needs one AP after being summoned - its buff is a 0 action. 

The reason that prompt was overused is that it is a blindingly obvious way of making something powerful even more powerful, it's as simple as that. If you have a choice between one ability that almost always pays off and requires little to no set up, the temptation is to use that ability over and over rather than other abilities that require a bit more thinking. Unlike other obey-type abilities, prompt has a lower cost (obeys require 8 most of the time, and sometimes an extra suit) and it hands out what's practically 1.5 AP (half a walk action that's arguably better in most situations) and another action.

Allowing it to target show girls without limit still lets you prompt the Coryphee duet three times, and that could almost be considered worse than prompting Howard three times. 

Perhaps you need to play Colette a bit more to understand how powerful her other abilities are, because people who have a significant amount of experience playing her (including highly ranked UK players) agree that the change was warranted and does not diminish her power. So unless you know better than them how to play her, you might consider the possibility that the reason few people agree with the opinion that Colette was weakened too much is quite simply that this opinion is incorrect. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sybarite said:

Can we start discussing how to make the best out of the situation and adapt instead just of whining about the change? They are not likely to change it back or buff her other actions any time soon. 

Agreed :D 

Something I've been thinking about is using Colette's 3 prompts to set up combos and debuffs that would otherwise be way too hard to achieve because 3 models would have to activate without your oppinent doing naything to mess it all up. I haven't thought of too many things just yet though. One thing I really want to do, but struggle to get off is a seduction from a performer followed by a hypnosis from a Mannequin to guarantee a model can be taken out with minimal resource expenditure. And then maybe with the last AP dummon a dove to boost a model that can really put the hurt on their master. 

Another great strength is that more often than not, you find yourself at the start of the turn urgently needing to do several things - i.e. get that one model out of danger, finish off their master on 2 health and then walk someone to tie up their big beater. Colette's repositioning shenanigans and prompt let her do all those things before your opponent can react. Conversely, you can create fatastic lose-lose situations for your opponent with her repositioning abilities and really set someone up for some damage with a summoned dove.

• Like 2

I've also been eying Union Miners as reliable hires as well - Companion to continue a chain activation, ignoring Df triggers on their melee (something that isn't in the Arcanists I own), dropping a ton of Scheme markers for All Together Now, + to damage flips close to M&SU models...

But what M&SU model to pick? I mean, Joss is the obvious choice, but what about... The Captain?

Use Prompt to Siren Call AND Airburst - or Airburst first if you have to get other models out of the way of your target's movement! - and he's got a 3" threat range, meaning you can get models engaged from disgustingly far away. Conjure a Dove to chain activate the Captain, beat them down with the hammer, and then hopefully have the Union Miner there to finish the job.

Plus, with his snazzy outfit, the Captain looks more like he belongs in a crew of Showgirls than scruffy steamfitters.

1 hour ago, Sordid Strumpet said:

but struggle to get off is a seduction from a performer followed by a hypnosis from a Mannequin

I think the main problem with seduction against an "important" model is that it's a simple duel so you can't force it through, sure you might draw out a card, but that's a small consolation if you really wanted the debuff. So I think it's mainly useful for destroying scheme markers or catch several models if you just want to kill something, e.g. for Hunting Party.

Not sure what you mean by "hypnosis", Mannequins don't have anything called that.

47 minutes ago, iamfanboy said:

ignoring Df triggers on their melee (something that isn't in the Arcanists I own)

Joss do, but perhaps you don't have him? His attack is quite a bit stronger than a Union Miner so you might consider getting him.

Yes, but the Union Miner does more for Colette than just being a beater - he has synergy with her. All Joss does is hit things, hard. Also, the Union Miner is a lot cheaper.

And I don't have him yet. Trying to decide between M&SU or Troubleshooters for my second Arcanist box. Ramos is the more predictable one (and I already have another set of mechanical spiders I bought for my Deadlands RPG), but I really like the Oxfordian Mages.

5 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

Yes, but the Union Miner does more for Colette than just being a beater - he has synergy with her. All Joss does is hit things, hard. Also, the Union Miner is a lot cheaper.

And I don't have him yet. Trying to decide between M&SU or Troubleshooters for my second Arcanist box. Ramos is the more predictable one (and I already have another set of mechanical spiders I bought for my Deadlands RPG), but I really like the Oxfordian Mages.

A little off topic, but I would say go for the Ironsides box. I'm not a fan of Joss or Hank most of the time, but I'm in a slim minority there so, grain of salt. If you already have arachnids, the Swarm is an M&SU model, and it would be surprising pick in a Colette crew. Not sure how great it would be, but it's worth a shot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, admiralvorkraft said:

A little off topic, but I would say go for the Ironsides box. I'm not a fan of Joss or Hank most of the time, but I'm in a slim minority there so, grain of salt. If you already have arachnids, the Swarm is an M&SU model, and it would be surprising pick in a Colette crew. Not sure how great it would be, but it's worth a shot.

I second this. I've found that when a condition-based scheme is in the pool, having the front line Henchmen immune to enemy conditions is priceless. It means that people like Cassandra can get stuck in without worry.

The Captain is also a very interesting model. He's a controller with a relic hammer. He can help push people around to get your schemes accomplished, and when that armor-skew list hits the table, he can go to town.

• Like 1

I also really like the Oxfordian mage minis, and they seem like they'd be solid for HH with Cass - two Mages, one 6-stone model (Willie? Soulstone Miner?) and Cass with Warding Runes and Smoke & Mirrors.

Also it seems as though Ironsides would make an excellent model to contrast with Colette's style; in your face with all the haste versus supporting the crew and controlling the game.

9 hours ago, Bengt said:

Not sure what you mean by "hypnosis", Mannequins don't have anything called that.

Oops, I meant full of pins (or beautiful clothes) - whichever gives even more negative flips.

I like using 3 prompts to give 3 different models negatives. I think performers got a bit of a passive boost given that so many more crews exist now that like messing about with scheme markers, so blowing them up might be more powerful.

You're right about the passive duel to ward off the debuff being outside your control  of course, but it's a serious drain on your opponents hand if they have to pass duels for 3-4 models because Colette prompted two or three different actions all causing defensive duels. It's also worth doing if you see your opponent stone for cards because if they have to cheat, it might very well cost them all the high cards they have in hand just to pass those duels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sordid Strumpet said:

Oops, I meant full of pins (or beautiful clothes) - whichever gives even more negative flips.

I like using 3 prompts to give 3 different models negatives. I think performers got a bit of a passive boost given that so many more crews exist now that like messing about with scheme markers, so blowing them up might be more powerful.

You're right about the passive duel to ward off the debuff being outside your control  of course, but it's a serious drain on your opponents hand if they have to pass duels for 3-4 models because Colette prompted two or three different actions all causing defensive duels. It's also worth doing if you see your opponent stone for cards because if they have to cheat, it might very well cost them all the high cards they have in hand just to pass those duels.

Wave 4 masters having so much scheme potential has helped Colette and company have things to work off of. I'm curious how much it will sting if I end up dropping Colette into Parker or Titania.

I'm playing VS neverborn (probably Titania) in a very marker heavy pool later today. I'm not sure if I'll actuall end up playing Colette (got about 3 crews I really want to play), but if I do I'll report back on how the game went after.

The strat is guard the 'stache

Pool: Claim Jump, Accusation, Covert Breakthrough, Leave Your Mark and Set Up

I'm thinking this crew:

Colette (Shell Game, Cabaret Choreography, Arcane Reservoir)

Cassandra (Smoke & Mirrors, Practised Production)

Arcane Emissary (Illusive Conflux)

Coryphee

Coryphee

Performer

Mannequin

I'm a little dubious about the two Coryphee because Retribution's eye is a thing, so I might replace them with a december acolyte and an ice dancer or something.

I ended up going with Rasputina because raw damage output has something oddly reassuring to it :P

I think Colette's fragile but hard hitting crew is not very well suited to schemes where you need to be in the same spot as your opponent, as it makes repositioning shenanigans that much harder to use when your opponent knows where you're going to be. Guard the stash just doesn't seem like a good strat to take Colette with as there are other masters doing it much more effectively.

Having said that, most of Titania's scheme marker shenanigans actually only work on her own crew's markers. So breakthrough and leave your mark are quite neat against her, as she's unlikely to be anywhere near where  you're putting your scheme markers and therefore won't get a whole lot of opportunity to heal.

Titania herself has some nasty shenanigans placing scheme markers in contact with you and forcing damage on you if you activate near her in base contact with those markers. They're incredibly difficult to prevent, and a good way to get damage on the fragile showgirls. However, the copious repositioning abilities should mean that you never really have to suffer those effects, so the ability can be mitigated with some planning.

Titania is also remarkably fragile if you hit her with high min. damage. A Coryphee duet or Joss should have no trouble whatsoever telling her to go be queen somewhere else, particularly if you can put them in the right place at the right time and buff them with a dove.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sordid Strumpet said:

I think Colette's fragile but hard hitting crew is not very well suited to schemes where you need to be in the same spot as your opponent, as it makes repositioning shenanigans that much harder to use when your opponent knows where you're going to be. Guard the stash just doesn't seem like a good strat to take Colette with as there are other masters doing it much more effectively.

This has been my experience as well, which is why I don't drop her into a strategy that requires holding ground. Against peers of similar experience and tactical ability, her slippery tricks are what keep things rolling for me using her once pressure comes to bear. If being in the center is required, it gets rough and the body count for Colette's crew will be high. Ironsides and Mei Feng are better suited for guarding stashes and informants.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, new Colette player and Malifaux player in general here. I played like 7 games total with Colette (started playing with already Cuddled prompt), I will have my first 35ss tournament soon so wanted to ask an advice about build and miniatures pool. So far I have:
Colette started box
Angelica
Coryphee (probably won't have access to them on the tournament though for some reasons)
Ice dancers
Gunsmiths
Arcane Emissary
Mechanical rider

So I wanted to ask what miniatures and builds from this pools are most efficient in 35ss format. From my experience I have a lot of troubles against aggressive crews like Guild's Sonia crew, etc.
And also what models are also usefull for Colette in her current state which I can buy and andd to my pool.
Sry if asking in the wrong thread and thx for advices.

@FunkyCape

Against aggressive crews plan on losing at least one (if not more) models a turn. With that out of the way, the second blanket statement is "it depends on the strat/scheme pool"

On a somewhat more useful front: Colette's base box with Angelica can scheme all day long. Performers that die will reactivate nearby showgirls (Cassandra, for instance; also Coryphee [Duet]), which can be useful. However, the box is very fragile. You'll probably want to drop one of the performer/mannequin pairs to include something else (9 stones, could potentially bring in the Emissary if you need some hitting power). This leaves you looking at a core of Colette with upgrades (2-4 stones), Cassandra with upgrades (8-10 stones), Performer (5), Mannequin (4)--putting you at 23ish stones in your core. Ice Dancers are extremely mobile and can get some nasty damage spikes while dropping scheme markers.

If you need more killing power, you'll want to keep Colette, keep Cassandra, maybe bring in the Emissary and the Coryphee pair. Doing this means running extremely light on upgrades, however, as the base cost of everything I just mentioned is 32 stones. You'll have more room for upgrades (or hired doves) if you go with a pair of Ice Dancers, though you won't have all the built-in nasty stuff that is the Coryphee. With a mind towards losing models, I would recommend not going too heavy on the high stone cost models, so you could potentially drop the Emissary and bring in Angelica (additional pushes, makes for a great Practiced Production caddy, has an interesting defensive trigger).

Against killy/aggro crews, look at how they're going to get their kills. If it involves blasters, keep your models spread out and in cover as much as possible. If it involves shooting, use cover and look to get engaged with shooters. If it involves melee beaters, try to draw them into traps. Use Cassandra's Southern Hospitality as early as possible in the turn, every turn. It puts your opponent on negatives when targeting her with attacks, which gives you a better chance of her not being the model that dies that turn. Pick schemes that you can do even as your model count drops, ideally ones that will punish your opponent for their aggression (Set Up against fast melee models, for instance).

You'll want to focus on your schemes and try to score as many VP as you can as fast as you can, because attrition is not Colette's game.

• Like 1

So if you want to have a lot of fun with Colette and really pack a surprising amount of punch with Colette bring Cassandra, 2 Silent Ones, an Acolyte and Envy as your core crew. if your opponent doesn't move too fast up the board you can set up an All Together Now that will leave them staggering on turn 2.  Probably fill any remaining points with Ice Dancers to score schemes, and voila! Do not try this versus more aggressive crews though. Viks will simply murder your whole crew, honestly I never take Colette if Outcasts is the opponent's drop just because they almost all play so balls to the wall.

• Like 2

Personally it's difficult to keep a Dec Acolyte and a Silent One out of my Colette crews without a specific reason. Both are great prompt targets, they add a bit of Frozen Heart synergy to each other (need to try out the ice dancers more, I imagine one of them will too), slow from the acolyte is never a bad thing, and the Silent One has a heal and makesuch Cassandra's Understudy trigger just bananas.

A word of caution: be careful where you put your Coryphee. Anything that ignores and more will eat them if you're not careful,  and that's a significant portion of your crew.

As to what I'd recommend you add to you your hiring pool next: something for the Mech Rider to summon. Lately I've been preferring steam arachnids or fire gamin (I know, I'm against the Internet wisdom on the latter, but a well placedesigned magma-spit has helped me more often than it hasn't). In either case, I'd suggest getting the crew box they come in. Ramos' box for the spiders will also have Joss and Howard, which pretty much any Arcanist crew loves. Kaeris' will have the Firestarter, whom I don't think I've ever taken with Colette,  but he's nice to have in the bag when you need someone cheap, fast, and schemey.

Otherwise, look for Carlos when he comes out. Picked him up on Black Friday and am consistently amazed at how well he sticks around and ties down his section of the board. Precisely what Colette usually lacks, in my experience.

Edited by Boomstick
Edited to include a lollygagging thought.