Wild West Exodus review

Pretty standard- the basic ones (called competitive scenarios) are kill each other, claim objectives, and one side needs to break through the other's line, though their site has some more narrative ones, too. From my limited experience, I'd expect objective claiming would, until you get nuanced, mostly be another shoot 'em up, but models move quickly enough that running the gauntlet should be interesting. Doesn't feel like Warmachine's scheme for instance, where it feels like every objective is just an excuse to force people for a basic fight w/o kiting.

If it's like most systems, I'd expect people play basic ones more than anything else, though that's about meta/competition more than what the game has to offer.

On availability, that's always a sticking point regarding just about any smaller game- bigger stuff is easier to get games in, but I've found a ton of smaller games (Malifaux included, though it's obviously on the top end of smaller stuff) that I like way more than the common/big names (MTG, 40k, WM/H)

Appreciate the review, this has been one in my scope for a while now. Love the look of the game, though the scaling has been my biggest caveat to buying in. I haven't really read any reviews pin pointing the optimum point scale for games. Perhaps that silence is a good thing in that the game scales well at all point levels, instead of having a very potent effect at the high and low ends.

On availability, that's always a sticking point regarding just about any smaller game- bigger stuff is easier to get games in, but I've found a ton of smaller games (Malifaux included, though it's obviously on the top end of smaller stuff) that I like way more than the common/big names (MTG, 40k, WM/H)

I feel the same way. I have had far more fun playing Malifaux, Mercs, Anima Tactics, Bushido, and Necromunda, than I have playing Warhammer (either flavor) or Warmachine. Not saying they aren't great games, just that I appreciate the smaller scale and rpg feel of the smaller systems.

• Like 1

Thanks, and yeah, I've really come to appreciate smaller games- actually meant smaller brands, but also smaller scales. Sprawling games just aren't that fun since they need to simplify the rules or it's just too much stuff to keep track of. Even when I break out 40k, we're usually playing 1k points or under since we don't care about huge stuff, and my WM experience recently was such a rock-paper-scissors outcome that it kinda' turned me off from returning, despite liking the basic mechanics.

I guess I'm also a much bigger fan of alternating activations, since it can get demoralizing or just boring to wait for 20 minutes for your opponent to go.

• Like 1

I agree about not playing much 40K any more.  Stepped down to Warmachine and am looking forward to getting my Malifaux starter in the mail.  Would have bought it at my local FLGS but the closest one is an hour away.  They have a pretty good 40k group and Warmachine/Hordes is pretty big.  Other then that it is hit and miss although Frostgrave has been popular lately.  I am hoping I can find some good Malifaux games although my wife is interested so I have at least one built in competitor.  Wish me luck.

RL

• Like 1

Great review - love all the stuff you paint and all the effort you put into the gaming community - keep it up!

I dove in pretty heavy to WWX but mostly for the models/painting not so much the gameplay. The simplified rules is definently a plus for WWX as I am getting sick of how ridiculously in depth Malifaux is getting with every new model - too much to keep track of and I find myself easily forgetting what I learn between games because I get next to no games in. Losing to a "gotcha" because you didn't know/forgot sucks and I find that Malifaux is too much for me to want to deal with. Having said that - if I paint it, I'm willing to play with it, but still. Having a simple system that is "complex enough" is more up my alley. 

Honestly, I started buying the WWX minis to proxy Malifaux models I dont like - can't wait for my Marie/Snake to take the place of Z/Juju. 

Then I backed the second kickstarter for the starter pack and went heavy into outlaws/lawmen for a big giant dual diorama in the future... now I am hooked. The models are just so damn good looking and thry are all very interesting to look at. I spend a lot more time with them now than Malifaux because they are more enjoyable to paint - resins are top notch and even their plastic is deeply detailed and the models aren't 18 pieces, 5 of which are just for the face/head. :/

• Like 2

Thanks, Spectre-- I agree on Malifaux- while it's always been one of my favorite games since I played the system, it's sometimes just too mentally taxing, and now that there are simpler but still strategic games I've definitely come to appreciate a middle ground between really heady stuff and simplistic BS.

• Like 1