Changes to Masters for NEXT season - UK

Joel

14 minutes ago, ProximoCoal said:

Makes so many qualify though. I liked the free ticket to the nationals though?

I'm with Connor on this one; Masters places are already very limited, cutting down on the places available from rankings could, IMO, annoy those who have attended many events in order to qualify if (it's unlikely, but possible) someone only ever turned up to one (a GT) and won that to qualify. Especially if those who had played for a whole year to get in finish 14th or so in the standings and, because of the extra golden tickets, don't get in. I like that the defending champion is invited back, and that the winner of the nationals wins a place, but any more than that might be pushing it slightly.

• Like 1

I have to be honest and say I am not dead set against it. The issue of annoying people is only really an issue if it's a surprise and the point of this thread is that it's not. I also think having the nationals winner get in is not so much of a big deal because it's pretty unlikely they haven't qualified anyway (would have been mint for the swedes though!)  I have a couple of issues though. Firstly the other GTs need to spread through the year to maximise attendance. Guaranteed entry to the masters would make it basically less exciting for those players for the rest of the year. Secondly it might also make it more likely that people turn down their tickets because of travel and I feel that a high number of drop outs undermines the masters.

However when is all is said and done I think provides a good comprise between the masters being a winner of winner event and the status quo. If it does inspire more people to attend the regional GTs that would also be great, just for inspiring faux but also to make the UK a bit more interactive with different regions. (a Scottish contingent is thinking of trying to get to the English Gt)

• Like 1

I'm very pro this idea, just wasn't sure whether to suggest it, I love the idea of each region having a gt and then the nationals, these people plus the former master winner get invites. The likleyhood is there will be crossover between the top 14 and the gt winners. 

I like to think like Connor said it would bring the region's closer together with more people travelling and mingling together more. Do the gts need to have the invite to masters? Of course not

Would it enhance them, and hopefully draw more players to them, I think so.

• Like 2

Could you have it so that if you win a GT then you automatically qualify but you must still have played four events? Means you eliminate any issues of anybody just turning up to one tournament (though personally I think the people likely to win the GTs are those regularly attending tournaments anyway) and then never showing (and thereby supporting the community) again.

I know Dom Westerland (Dumb Luck) has been talking about making Deliverance the Welsh GT so maybe if that can be done it would attract more players.

Personally I'm not a fan of the idea that the regional GT winners go through automatically to the Masters. As mentioned in my previous posts I feel that the Masters is linked very closely to the rankings.

What I would suggest is that the regional GT winners get a free ticket to the Nationals (replacing winning one of the 'key' tournaments of the year as in 2015) where they can fight it out for the free entry to the Masters.

• Like 1