November 16th - Black Friday

Lucidicide

I hadn't realized that the Dark Carnival set was originally $90 either.  $100 isn't very unreasonable, that said. 

Follow Up Question on the sale then:  What time does it officially start?  12:00 am on Friday?

I don't know if it was just people joking on the forums, but from what I saw reading around in the past, it doesn't have a time.

The quote I heard was that they don't have a declared time for the sale to start so there is no huge queue of excited people waiting to log in all at the same time and bust the online shop's server..

Which sounds like a fairly reasonable explanation, but it could also be a joke :P But all things considered, they are pretty good about giving out information, so if we haven't seen it here or the other nice threads they have put up about the sale, perhaps they really don't tell a time for it to start.  I'm sure if they do though, any of us who come around frequently will have no issue hearing of it :)

• Like 1

Wow, that Gator eating the Gremlin is a bit much for me. Hopefully that one can be assembled without its victim. 

/facepalm

Take a step back for a sec and really appreciate the subject matter in the Malifaux universe. Honestly, I'm often disappointed that Malifaux models aren't (far) MORE explicit, myself.

Bring on the conversions. :) 

Oh... and gimme that Changeling! B) 

----------------------

I think Omenbringer's post about how LE stuff has a certain negative/positive view about it is interesting... even though I think of it in exactly the opposite way (and see the post as mostly complaining/don't agree with a damn thing he said ;) ). I'm kinda wondering how everyone else actually thinks of these Limited Edition models.

I like my limited edition garbage! Specifically because I have it and most other people dont/aren't able to reasonably acquire it. I'm not sure why, but when I see "special/limited edition"... its pretty much an auto-buy even if I don't like the damn thing (like Dufresne... she'll just keep the tray warm). Is it elitest - impressive - neat - just a marketing scheme that I got sucked into?

Tell me you aren't going to be envious of that Barbaros when you are sporting the much smaller and far less desirable "stock" version. Annnnnnnnd that's how they get you, and you will shell out 300$ and get it... or you won't and you'll have to deal with it.

And... well... these are the harsh realities. :D 

Edited by SpectreEliteGaming
  • Like 1

I hadn't realized that the Dark Carnival set was originally $90 either.  $100 isn't very unreasonable, that said. 

Follow Up Question on the sale then:  What time does it officially start?  12:00 am on Friday?

I don't know if it was just people joking on the forums, but from what I saw reading around in the past, it doesn't have a time.

The quote I heard was that they don't have a declared time for the sale to start so there is no huge queue of excited people waiting to log in all at the same time and bust the online shop's server..

Which sounds like a fairly reasonable explanation, but it could also be a joke :P But all things considered, they are pretty good about giving out information, so if we haven't seen it here or the other nice threads they have put up about the sale, perhaps they really don't tell a time for it to start.  I'm sure if they do though, any of us who come around frequently will have no issue hearing of it :)

It's not a joke.  It's how Wyrd has dealt with the starting times of their sales for the past two years. 

It's not a joke.  It's how Wyrd has dealt with the starting times of their sales for the past two years. 

So unless otherwise stated, I'm going to just presume the sale starts at midnight on Friday morning then.

$100 for dark carnival, ouch (plus getting it to the UK), think ill pass on the Carnival and Coryphee.

As for people who like limited edition because its rare. I cannot see that viewpoint, I choose whichever look the best. I would much rather have the alt firestarter because I think it looks better, but I would rather have Howard over Miss, because I like the normal one more.
I do go a bit crazy for translucent models though 

Edited by Pete Zero
accidentally made it hidden

So unless otherwise stated, I'm going to just presume the sale starts at midnight on Friday morning then.

Well, the sale last for a.. week I believe?  And shipments don't start out of Wyrd until the 30th, so you have about 3-4 days of solid hoping the store doesn't bust.  I think there is a good chance to get an order in before it get's missed, and ordering early probably doesn't matter that greatly.

The sale will go up sometime late Thursday - we'll all be enjoying the holiday so basically when someone pulls out of a turkey induced slumber we'll pull the trigger on it. There shouldn't be any issues with the speed or the server as it's on its own completely different on this time about and we didn't see anything with the Gencon traffic so we're pretty comfortable with it. 

Tax is due by location, at the moment only if you're in Georgia, USA. Fees and customs though, that's all on y'all. We can't control what does and doesn't get taxes and customs attention. Also no, we will not mark GIFT on the package so that it can slide on past - that's illegal and we can as a company get in deeper water than that order is worth. I would absolutely love for everything to show up quickly and without any quirks or possible customs costs, but I don't have that magic wand to wave yet (yet, i'm still searching ebay for the right one ...). 

We'll start pulling and shipping on November 30th though likely there won't be a ton going out that day due to early pick ups from the post as well as Fedex, but that just means larger groups of them will go out the next day as folks will be working longer hours that week to get things sorted. We'll get them out as quickly as we can but I'll be up front and say that if you have a hard deadline and absolutely no patience, then please consider that this might not be the sale for you. I suspect most will get out timely and make it there before the holidays, but there will be some that end up on the other side of the world, through customs twice, and for some reason the carrier didn't bother knocking on the door to drop it off and we'll get hollered at for it.

Also, shipping does NOT equate to processing time. Just because you bought something on Thanksgiving day and paid for two day shipping does NOT mean it will show up on Saturday magically. We love feilding those types of messages .. really. It takes time to input, process, package and send them out the door. The post doesn't sit at our door and wait for every package into the wee hours of the evening and I don't work our staff around the clock, though I threaten it from time to time. 

• Like 2

The sale will go up sometime late Thursday - we'll all be enjoying the holiday so basically when someone pulls out of a turkey induced slumber we'll pull the trigger on it. There shouldn't be any issues with the speed or the server as it's on its own completely different on this time about and we didn't see anything with the Gencon traffic so we're pretty comfortable with it. 

Tax is due by location, at the moment only if you're in Georgia, USA. Fees and customs though, that's all on y'all. We can't control what does and doesn't get taxes and customs attention. Also no, we will not mark GIFT on the package so that it can slide on past - that's illegal and we can as a company get in deeper water than that order is worth. I would absolutely love for everything to show up quickly and without any quirks or possible customs costs, but I don't have that magic wand to wave yet (yet, i'm still searching ebay for the right one ...). 

We'll start pulling and shipping on November 30th though likely there won't be a ton going out that day due to early pick ups from the post as well as Fedex, but that just means larger groups of them will go out the next day as folks will be working longer hours that week to get things sorted. We'll get them out as quickly as we can but I'll be up front and say that if you have a hard deadline and absolutely no patience, then please consider that this might not be the sale for you. I suspect most will get out timely and make it there before the holidays, but there will be some that end up on the other side of the world, through customs twice, and for some reason the carrier didn't bother knocking on the door to drop it off and we'll get hollered at for it.

Also, shipping does NOT equate to processing time. Just because you bought something on Thanksgiving day and paid for two day shipping does NOT mean it will show up on Saturday magically. We love feilding those types of messages .. really. It takes time to input, process, package and send them out the door. The post doesn't sit at our door and wait for every package into the wee hours of the evening and I don't work our staff around the clock, though I threaten it from time to time. 

Thanks for being awesome and doing pre-release stuff like this and responding to the concerns of your community; for me, this attention really does show your passion for the products you put out.

Question regarding some of the pre-release stuff--in the past some of the pre-releases have come in bags instead of in boxes an people have gotten themselves in a tizzy over this (I personally don't mind), is this likely to occur again or is everything sitting their pretty retail boxes?

• Like 1

Most of it will be in a retail box, there are a few that may not bit they will be marked.

Also quite honestly the amounts can sometimes surpass expectations. We usually have early fly in of packaging and products with the rest catching a boat to reduce costs, but we have to guess at best what we'll use and what will get sat on till release. At that point we'll try and mark it as clearly as possible on the page if we know for sure we've run out of packaging but not product.

• Like 1

I think Omenbringer's post about how LE stuff has a certain negative/positive view about it is interesting... even though I think of it in exactly the opposite way (and see the post as mostly complaining/don't agree with a damn thing he said

;)

). I'm kinda wondering how everyone else actually thinks of these Limited Edition models.

I like my limited edition garbage! Specifically because I have it and most other people dont/aren't able to reasonably acquire it. I'm not sure why, but when I see "special/limited edition"... its pretty much an auto-buy even if I don't like the damn thing (like Dufresne... she'll just keep the tray warm). Is it elitest - impressive - neat - just a marketing scheme that I got sucked into?

Tell me you aren't going to be envious of that Barbaros when you are sporting the much smaller and far less desirable "stock" version. Annnnnnnnd that's how they get you, and you will shell out 300$ and get it... or you won't and you'll have to deal with it.

And... well... these are the harsh realities. :D 

Fair enough.

To be clear though, I dont have an issue with the Limited editions, I own most of them going back to the Gremlinette (including a metal Carver and Metal Lord Chompy Bits). My issue is in the offering of Barbaros and the Firestarter in this way (notice the omission of Alternate Francisco and Dr. Dufresne). Currently the only ways in which I may acquire these models from Wyrd are by either repurchasing a plastic crew box at $40ish for the one model (I and many others already purchased the crew in metal and dont have need for the other models in the box) and hoping to recoup some of the cost on a virtually non-existent secondary market or by spending $300.00 during the Black Friday Sale ( a stout expectation even if I didn't already own most of the range that is available). I dont mind giving Wyrd my money (it is why I own so much of their product line already), but the expectation that I repurchase each new plastic crew that was available in metal previously for the single new model that cant be gotten any other way is more than irritating (and I am sure I am not alone in this regard).

I do plan on buying stuff this Black Friday from Wyrd, as I have most of the previous ones, but will likely not hit even the $150.00 threshold for the Alternate Firestarter I want for my metal Kaeris crew. I am not asking for it free, I am asking (again) for a method to purchase it (or any of the other models that fall into this category) directly from Wyrd without having to buy $300.00 of translucent crews or take sales away from my local game stores. But since you threw it out there, if anyone manages to hit either of the thresholds and is interested in selling an unpainted, unassembled "much smaller and far less desirable stock version" at a reasonable price (read as around the standard retail cost of a single Malifaux model) send me a PM and we can work out the payment and shipping details.

• Like 2

Personally, the only thing that bugs me about the limited models is ebay scalpers taking advantage of people who can't afford to make giant orders, but want an individual jazzy model.  Particularly as these are the same people buying up the nightmare and transluscent crews to make more profit - this is what gets my goat and it takes a bit of something out of the hobby for me.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of friends willing to split and order with me, so we will all get what we want. However, this isn't the case for everyone, particularly for folks living outside of the US (where just getting standard releases on time seems like a rare occurance).

Apologies if this comes across as a rant, it really isn't ment to.  I LOVE Wyrd, Malifaux and TTB have thoroughly captured my heart and I'm always excited to see what's coming next - but special sales like this are a bit of a mixed bag of emotion for me and I can see why other people feel the same way.  Perhaps it would be nice to allow people to pick which freebie they get at different order levels?  It seemed like a pretty even split of people preferring the different models, and it would allow people to get the things they really like, keep ebay scalpers guessing (as in theory there should be no 'super rares') and make the prospect of dropping a lot of money in one go on a direct (nonLGS, possibly international) order a bit more palatable.

Just my 2 pence.

I'm not sure it's all scalpers to be honest. Some are sure, but if I have to put in $300 on my own I am pulling money out of funds I should save for other things and intend to recoup as much as I can by selling the figs I never wanted in the first place.

Personally, the only thing that bugs me about the limited models is ebay scalpers taking advantage of people who can't afford to make giant orders, but want an individual jazzy model.  Particularly as these are the same people buying up the nightmare and transluscent crews to make more profit - this is what gets my goat and it takes a bit of something out of the hobby for me.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of friends willing to split and order with me, so we will all get what we want. However, this isn't the case for everyone, particularly for folks living outside of the US (where just getting standard releases on time seems like a rare occurance).

Apologies if this comes across as a rant, it really isn't ment to.  I LOVE Wyrd, Malifaux and TTB have thoroughly captured my heart and I'm always excited to see what's coming next - but special sales like this are a bit of a mixed bag of emotion for me and I can see why other people feel the same way.  Perhaps it would be nice to allow people to pick which freebie they get at different order levels?  It seemed like a pretty even split of people preferring the different models, and it would allow people to get the things they really like, keep ebay scalpers guessing (as in theory there should be no 'super rares') and make the prospect of dropping a lot of money in one go on a direct (nonLGS, possibly international) order a bit more palatable.

Just my 2 pence.

I don't resell models usually (I'm a hoarder of models!), but it seems to me that if someone wants to sell a thing that they own, and someone else wants to buy a thing for the price offered, then that's on them.

• Like 4

As an addendum to the above post, Wyrd also does a good job of using organized play to get additional LE's into circulation. 

I can only game out of my apartment. Wyrd should circulate them to my home. 

Get thee to Brooklyn for one of the BK events. It's well worth the travel, and there's some great opponents there. Nu Brand Gaming is a great little club.

Just my 2 pence.

I don't resell models usually (I'm a hoarder of models!), but it seems to me that if someone wants to sell a thing that they own, and someone else wants to buy a thing for the price offered, then that's on them.

Apologies. I'm not having a cracking at folks who sell things on ebay. I just feel that some people might take advantage of the  'limited' tag to overprice these sorts of things.  I really am sorry if I offended anyone. I'll keep my beak out from here.

Apologies. I'm not having a cracking at folks who sell things on ebay. I just feel that some people might take advantage of the  'limited' tag to overprice these sorts of things.  I really am sorry if I offended anyone. I'll keep my beak out from here.

You're not wrong. Dark Carnival went as high as $160 on eBay, so there are people out there... 

People out there willing to pay $160 for something? It might be distasteful, but if you're angry about price inflation on luxury goods like alternate sculpt miniatures for a game, you're going to flip your lid when you find out how much people get ripped off on car loans, mortgages, and gasoline.

I scrolled thru but can't find the answer... Dark Coryphee... Two models or two and a duet? I assume the former. 

It should be two models, three bases (two for the solo model, one larger base for the duet) and three cards.  Because the answer up thread was "Get creative with magnets."  :)

Edited by solkan