November 16th - Black Friday

Lucidicide

*sigh*

Was thoroughly impressed by the art for the alt. Barbaros and FIrestarter (love models with amazing wings); however, was not impressed by the required price point to obtain them.  I was seriously hoping (like many others) that they would be available as a stand-alone model to buy, in addition to other BF goodies.  I have not had a chance to discuss with my local group if we want try attempt to make the $300 goal, since shipping is quite costly, even in the US (I learned from buying from other game companies' webstores during cons/BF how astronomical shipping prices can be within the US alone).

As for the other models listed as being available for BF, I do not plan on getting the new Snowstorm (perfectly content with my 1st ed model, even if my opponents refer to him as a yeti), although I do not recall there being a render for Angelica, which means I may wait until she is available through normal means. I like the alt colored plastics for Kaeris and Jakob, although I didn't think Jakob would get an alternative colored plastic. I had hinted at Justin that it would be nice to see Kaeris in colored plastic.  I would like the see photos before deciding to invest in them, although I have a feeling they could be available in the Henchmen area of the webstore, given time (really want to see a purple plastic Huggy!).

Yyeeesh , PVC claims another victim.

Its a terrible material for anything outside of anime figures and bedroom aids.

I was very surprised (in a good way) about Wyrd's decision to jump to styrene.

Hopefully this isn't a sign of things to come. I appreciate cost/reliability is an issue for styrene production (look at the woes PP are having) but still, this is a worry.

I'm not a huge Wyrd player, but I do a lot of painting of their figs, and admire the line (both metal and styrene). A move to PVC kills all interest in the figures, I'm just done with the material.

Maybe Wyrd and PP can buddy up and help create a US styrene production plant to avoid the issues everyone is having with the Chinese Styrene production. Kickstarter has really gummed up the production line it seems. (This is obviously not a serious suggestion, but it would be nice, we have renedera over here, as the ex GW styrene guys, it would be good to see more options popping up as the world of gaming continues to expand).

• Like 2

The alt versions are really nice (I love the firestarter).

150 USD of stuff means very high shipping costs to Europe so I'll decide on November 26th if it is worth it.

I join the disappointed community about the use of PVC. I hate assembling PP's minis with a passion (crappy mould lines, air bubbles,lack of fexibility, difficult to glue compared to the usual plastic...). I understand the need for saving costs but I mostly play Malifaux because of the quality of the minis, I hope this will not change.

Just a quick question about the black friday sale. Do I have to spend $150 on special models or do all items count for the free miniatures?

And how do I find out how much the shipping costs + customs to germany will be?

Edited by amanwing
added question about shipping

Just a quick question about the black friday sale. Do I have to spend $150 on special models or do all items count for the free miniatures?

And how do I find out how much the shipping costs + customs to germany will be?

Usually, all purchases count, but shipping and stuff doesn't. Shipping usually ends up between 25 and 50 dollars, depending on the size of package and if you include books. Customs is 19%.

So, if you order about 150 dollars, you'll likely pay about 200 Euros, depending on shipping method and books.

Seriously, if you don't want the LE minis badly, ordering from Fantasyladen will save you about 50 Euros to 75 Euros.

• Like 1

I can't believe everyone is complaining that the alt sculpts are the freebies for various purchase levels.  Honestly, that's how they usually do it.  If you really need to get one, find a friend and order together.  There's two LEs at each reward level so you can split the extras.

These figures will probably show up down the road in tournament kits too.  No need to worry, they'll be available.

That said, I'm a little surprised in the lack of wave 3 stuff, but it's not the worst thing ever.  I'm excited about the transluscent Kaeris, my gf is excited for Lynch, and there's enough new stuff to get us to 300 with only a little grumping.  

And on the PVC figure, I'd be willing to bet that productions issues forced their hand on this one in order to get him out in time.  I'd expect the official release might switch materials.

Edited by Fog

That said, I'm a little surprised in the lack of wave 3 stuff, but it's not the worst thing ever.

To be honest, this was what was most disconcerting for me.  I'm having a little trouble understanding why a model that hasn't been formally released yet get made (and quite possibly hastily, as Fog suggested), when there's an entire book of models just released a few months ago that is aching for models.  Aside from the Crossroads 7, I'd have liked to see some new models from Shifting Loyalties put out.

I can't believe everyone is complaining that the alt sculpts are the freebies for various purchase levels.  Honestly, that's how they usually do it.  If you really need to get one, find a friend and order together.  There's two LEs at each reward level so you can split the extras.

These figures will probably show up down the road in tournament kits too.  No need to worry, they'll be available.

A little bit harder to do if those people do want the same models. Splitting the models up to share the pieces isn't that practical, to be honest. Also, note that the people who feel the most slighted are those that have an old metal crew without the new henchmen, and who were told that the only option was to get a full new crewbox. 

And as for tournaments, I won't even go within spitting distance of those. Which means that the availability is limited to ebay or other resell sites.

If you can reach the nescessary funds with ease, be happy and enjoy yourself. 

• Like 3

Ebay is too expensive for me. I saw limited edition models sold at 50-80$.. Last week an auction of Santana Ortega from England ended at 122$, for example. If I can, I prefer buy during Black Friday. I'll never spend a similar amount for a limited edition miniature..

It's all relative, honestly.  For the person who just wants the one model, $50-$80 could be reasonable.

Ebay has overly inflated prices on most things anyway.  I got my Santana off of a trade on the facebook trade group retailing around $35.  Sure, I've seen her sell outright for $50 or so on the same group but $122?  Not even close.  Talk to fellow gamers directly, there are bound to be Resser players who are after MsMourning and don't care about Barbaros.

So, in the link you presented you mention that Aionus being in PVC is just a one-off thing and not a test for moving the rest of the range into PVC.  If that is indeed the case then I will most likely purchase Aionus.  I had originally decided to boycott him simply due to my complete and utter hatred of that material.  I no longer give Privateer Press any of my money, mainly because of their heavy use of that material, and despite how much I love Malifaux I would probably make the same choice if Wyrd moved to that material.  I do a whole lot of modeling, converting, and scratch-building of miniatures and I have learned how to work with that material, but it turns what is normally something I do for fun into a massive chore that is very unpleasant.  I hate PVC to the core of my being.

I can understand the choice for special edition models made in short time frames and limited runs.  In those cases it makes sense to use a lower cost material. 

I still don't care for stuffing the henchmen behind very high payment levels.  I think it would have been better to simply sell those guys individually at an increased cost.  But it does not affect me too much since I have most of the plastics and don't need those guys.  The only special model I was interested in was Dr. Dufrense - but I think she might be a bit too expensive for me given other expenses in the holiday season.

Edited by CannibalBob
  • Like 2