November FAQ

Justin

Question

I never hired metal gamin, and I've honestly been finding it more advantageous in most circumstances to summon fire gamin or ice gamin with the Rider.  I think people have been too focused on the 'hard to kill' bit, and people will very quickly come to realize that summoning models that can participate in a more active manner is almost always a stronger choice.

• Like 1

I think thats a massive cuddle for metal gamin. If you'd made protection of metal last until the start of the gamins next activation ala frank/papa it wouldnt be so bad but having to keep a 4" walk model that needs to spend 1ap getting the ability setup to need to stay within 3" makes it so situational it now looks shockingly bad!

None of that actually changed. The only change to the Protection of Metal action was the addition of "non-Metal Gamin" so it can't target itself. :)

Of course, there is also the loss of Hard to Kill. But just addressing your post.

The Metal Gamin being able to target himself with PoM always smelled a lot more like a loophole that got through PT to me (like 'Dita taking Diestro).....all during the PT his obvious intent was to park next to some low Df, high cost model (like an Ice Golem for example) that was holding a position like for Turf War or Squatter's.

He will no longer be the crutch that people are bumping their number of activations with....no longer the go to 4ss model because of his Armor +2, Df 6, HtK.....now he'll start being used as (I think) he was intended and more importantly, he'll stop over-shadowing almost every other 4ss model in the faction.

• Like 8

Not sure about the Gaimin's change to PoM. I do wonder about the HtK removal, though - I don't get a ton of playtime with him because I'm usually a TT kinda guy and thus he only gets taken with Mei Feng, but I feel like Armor is one of the easier defenses to negate, and losing HtK means he could get one-shot pretty often. I'll see how it goes.

• Like 5

Hmm, I'm struggling with the change to Deconstruction on the Conflux of Combat; If the +6 Ca lasts the duration of the action, and the Marker is discarded once the action is completed, isn't the only change to its behaviour now that, once some idiot has cycled their black joker out of their deck or some such nonsense (as per the silly discussion on the ability previously), the marker goes away? Doesn't this mean that the loop can still be done?

No.

It means you railwalk to the Marker with your increased Ca, discard it once the Railwalk is complete and if you want to trigger an additional Railwalk you'll need a new target. :)

Edit: I'll add this on the end tomorrow to seriously put the nail in this coffin: (if further Actions are generated by a Trigger, the Marker is discarded before declaring them).

Edited by Justin
  • Like 3

I am very sad for the Conflux of Thunder change, but to be fair I think it was probably necessary. The conflux during beta was terrible, then in the book was unbelievably powerful. Against an unwary opponent you could potentially have Misaki kill their entire crew in one activation, now it's just a nice bonus. Part of me is okay with this (the part that likes other people to have fun too, so that's a win for the design team there!).

&

I am very sad for the Conflux of Thunder change, but to be fair I think it was probably necessary. The conflux during beta was terrible, then in the book was unbelievably powerful. Against an unwary opponent you could potentially have Misaki kill their entire crew in one activation, now it's just a nice bonus. Part of me is okay with this (the part that likes other people to have fun too, so that's a win for the design team there!).

@Justin, this seems like a pretty massive cuddle. I agree, that it was possible for this to get a out of hand (last game I killed 5 models in one go). But I think the pendulum may have swung too far in making the Emissaries much less attractive in a Misaki crew. :(. This was a pretty powerful anti-summoning tech against Summoning Dreamer, Ulix pig farm, Ramos spider farm, and Somner gremlin spam. Would rather have seen it keep the ability as written but add a restriction "Minion or Peon" or maybe "an enemy model that costs 5 SS or less."

At the point it exist at currently (Post Errata), isn't it a much weaker Fast, due to requiring a model killed?  I don't disagree with taking away the equivalent to infinite AP (Or way too much at least), but it seems like this is just a conditional Fast.

You know what, re-reading it, I thought it was Once per game for some reason.  Once per turn seems far more reasonable, I am super OK with this change.  I feel that Misaki has plenty of options as far as maneuverability goes, and getting out of dodge after killing a single target, or attempting to push her luck by attacking something else seems more than respectable.  The only problem as it stands is going to be keeping the dragon within range of Misaki on subsequent turns, since she may find herself bouncing around quite a lot if she needs to dodge retaliation.

I like this change.

Hmm, I'm struggling with the change to Deconstruction on the Conflux of Combat; If the +6 Ca lasts the duration of the action, and the Marker is discarded once the action is completed, isn't the only change to its behaviour now that, once some idiot has cycled their black joker out of their deck or some such nonsense (as per the silly discussion on the ability previously), the marker goes away? Doesn't this mean that the loop can still be done?

No.

It means you railwalk to the Marker with your increased Ca, discard it once the Railwalk is complete and if you want to trigger an additional Railwalk you'll need a new target. :)

Edit: I'll add this on the end tomorrow to seriously put the nail in this coffin: (if further Actions are generated by a Trigger, the Marker is discarded before declaring them).

&

No.

Yes, but do you keep the +6 Ca? Because then you can achieve the same result as before by going to the next target and just repeating the process on it instead of the original (special) marker, no?

No, the ability pretty unambiguously states that the +6 Ca is only when targeting the Scrap Marker dropped by the ability, as evidenced by the phrasing "the Scrap Marker" rather than "a Scrap Marker."

Hold up, you think as written it suggest that the +6 Ca drops off?

I'm totally fine with accepting that, but the issue I have is the side bar about Actions caused by Actions:

Some Actions will force or allow a model to take another Action.  If an Action calls for another Action to be taken (such as Charge or "Make A New Entry") then the additional Action or Actions do not cost any APThe original Action is not considered resolved until the new Actions are also resolved.

Italics being my emphasis.  I have a hard time understanding the finite difference between "Resolved" and "Completed" as stated in the ability.  You may disagree, but IMO (And I mean no offense), Wyrd seems to have cryptic rulings only in so far as the words they find to be definitive in meaning are not defined in terms of the game.  And if I used those two words interchangeably in a sentence, resolved and completed, no native English speaker would disagree with me.  Which leads to the players misunderstanding because there is not a definition glossary, like in the instance of the use of the terms [Suffer // Inflict], which people commonly think means the end result damage, rather than the damage flip as it always actually means.

And that's fine, to clarify that you want "Complete" to be when you REACH Step 5 of the Resolving an Action ability, but when Triggers cause more actions (Such as Mei Feng's built in trigger for Rail Walk), then the original action can't end, because it is being extended to the duration of the new action.

And the new Conflux reads:

Push this model up to 3" in any direction, then place a Scrap Marker in base contact with it. Until the end of the Turn, friendly Leaders which target the Scrap Marker with an Action gain +6 Ca for the duration of the Action, and then discard the Marker after completing the Action.

So if it gets the +6 Ca for the "duration" of the Action, and the Actions causing Actions side bar tells me that the Action doesn't end until all Actions caused subsequently are ended, then how does that mean the duration has ended?

If this is a clear as day issue that I am misinterpreting, I can accept that.  I just don't see how the Actions causing Actions and this conflict.  Is there information I am neglecting, beyond simply being told it works differently than I imagine?  But if you have to be told it doesn't work how a reasonable reader would interpret it, then it seems to be unclear to me.

Meanwhile, can we get an Errata for the latest FAQ?

11) Q: Does Kirai need to summon Ikiryo within her LoS when summoning it with the Malevolence Ability?
A: No. Actions which summon require LoS, Abilities do no unless they specify otherwise. (11/1/15)

It clearly means "not", just a typo.

Edited by Tawg
  • Like 1

They have been knocked down from auto include to just good, I don't get the reactions from people. :/ I thought it was too much at first but after thinking about it and playing them a few times post cuddle it's not that big a deal, the protection of metal cuddle was needed, and losing hard to kill really only affects the big beatsticks like Howard or Killjoy, who still need 2 ap to kill them at minimum damage. 

I was hoping to see clarification on the Changelings and their engagement range. We've been playing it as "no engagement range" since they have no Ml attacks of their own, but this has felt odd to me since we discussed it.

The Lure stuff makes sense, I hadn't considered the ability to "lure dance around". Though the continued use of "shortest route possible" introduces potential confusion

Direct example from my game last night. Lilitu lures a model that is 7 inches away. The shortest path is directly towards Lilitu, but that happens to go entirely through severe terrain, ending 5" away (4" walk). However, if the target went in a very slight arc around the edge of the severe terrain, the model would be able to walk the full 4" and end up 3" away. I've always thought the "end closest" would mean the model would walk around the edge of the pond and end 3" away. All the "shortest route" makes me thing the model would actually go direct through the pond and end up 5" away though...

• Like 1

• Like 1

I think thats a massive cuddle for metal gamin. If you'd made protection of metal last until the start of the gamins next activation ala frank/papa it wouldnt be so bad but having to keep a 4" walk model that needs to spend 1ap getting the ability setup to need to stay within 3" makes it so situational it now looks shockingly bad!

• Like 2

Shocked at the Metal Gamin changes! I would have definitely agreed that they were one of the more effective and cost effective 4ss models, but two changes in one go isn't a "gentle rebalancing"!

I've never used PoM on anything but the Gamin, and have been questioned on it repeatedly. I don't mind that change -- 6Df on a 4ss model was a little silly -- but to lose HtK in the same round hurts me in the Metal Gamin-shaped hole that was once my heart. :P

• Like 3

Or has this all been a massive misunderstanding and as soon as the first rail walk is complete, both the +6 Ca bonus and the marker go away?

Edited by BigHammer

I am honestly annoyed to have to wait an additional two months for the blackblood pustule ruling. It is something that was brought up more than six months ago. 

Other than that, pleased to see metal gamin get a cuddle. Whose next? 

Rotten Belles! Rotten Belles! :D

• Like 1