Rotten Harvest Voting Begins!

psychogeek

A few of the tall images got really messed up by the automatic resizing. One of mine got hurt a bit by it, but I feel really bad for whoever did Malefika in WaW. It looks like a good paint job, but there's no way to tell since it's so tiny.

I feel like the parameters for the submitted files should have been something more appropriate that wouldn't have suffered from resizing, since the competition instructions very specifically said

I'm not much worried about the length as it will allow you to fit in angles of the photograph

encouraging tall images that don't work well since the forum software resizes the actual images and not just the slideshow display size.

In the future, would it be possible to get max dimensions that won't be reduced, rather than max file size that will automatically get reduced?

A few of the tall images got really messed up by the automatic resizing. One of mine got hurt a bit by it, but I feel really bad for whoever did Malefika in WaW. It looks like a good paint job, but there's no way to tell since it's so tiny.

I feel like the parameters for the submitted files should have been something more appropriate that wouldn't have suffered from resizing, since the competition instructions very specifically said

I'm not much worried about the length as it will allow you to fit in angles of the photograph

encouraging tall images that don't work well since the forum software resizes the actual images and not just the slideshow display size.

In the future, would it be possible to get max dimensions that won't be reduced, rather than max file size that will automatically get reduced?

It is an issue that we have noticed. Several of the pictures did have some size problems. I attempted to get a hold of several of the contestants about them and not all responded. For the future, I will be a bit more specific about certain file guidelines like not having a vertical  collage. As far as giving file guidelines for size and dimensions, I will see what tends to be ideal and try to improve our future contests. Thanks for the input.

• Like 4

Perhaps we could get some photography tips/guides in the next Chronicles? I can see a lot of really nice paint jobs in this competition that have been let down by photography (myself included!).  Particularly down to file manipulation after the fact - some of the multiple shot pictures are losing a lot of detail which I can only put down to scaling down the file size to fit the requirements.  Maybe one of the painting/photography wizards would fancy letting us in on the secrets to really showing off your models?

Please? :D

• Like 1

Perhaps we could get some photography tips/guides in the next Chronicles? I can see a lot of really nice paint jobs in this competition that have been let down by photography (myself included!).  Particularly down to file manipulation after the fact - some of the multiple shot pictures are losing a lot of detail which I can only put down to scaling down the file size to fit the requirements.  Maybe one of the painting/photography wizards would fancy letting us in on the secrets to really showing off your models?

Please? :D

I also think an article in Chronicles regarding photography tips for miniatures could be very helpful to a lot of people. It's honestly quite simple how a couple easy steps can drastically improve one's photography--proper lighting and using a backdrop drastically improves how a mini looks in a photo and are cheap to obtain. There are also some great free softwares out there that can help put together a nice collage (GIMP is what I use). It's pretty crazy at the quality of mini photos you can get out of a smartphone with a little know-how.

• Like 4

Votes are in...

... and now that they are - I'm looking at the trend in votes - some no brainers but others I am surprised about - seems like a lot of bias coupled with little consideration.

A couple of points - I'll maybe be nice and not reveal anything...

- What is it with this community and your fixation for Dreamer crew? >8(

Hard to argue when the entry is as good as the glowing dreamer (that is freaking awesome!) but seriously - at least I don't see any lime green or hot pink anywhere.

- Spiraling Cadaver sticks out like a sore thumb... a really pretty and very impressive sore thumb. 

- Surprised at the lack of dioramas - If i was going to do an entry... it would have been a diorama. Sadface.

Overall - was definently hoping for more entries... but as a non-entrant I guess that shits on me. ;) 

• Like 2

Voting has been concluded! We will be announcing winners shortly, but first we are going to have an in-house vote on the best Wyrd mini! Good job everyone! I am turning comments on in the gallery so go ahead and talk about your entries and wait in anticipation for the results :D