Another beginning city-board (harbour)

klatschi

Thanks for your nice replies, I'm glad you like my table :-)

where do the lampposts and crates come from, what do you mean by filling the gap with acrylics, and what type of resin did you use for the water ?

The lamp posts are bought at a small German table top supply shop called Thomarillion http://thomarillion.de/ The Crates are bought at another German shop called Tabletop Art: http://www.tabletop-art.de/

The resin I used was bought on ebay, I didn't use epoxy resin used for miniatures and terrain but for wood floors and things like that - in the end, it's the same product but you pay more, when you buy it for modelling, at least the offers I saw were much more expensive.

I want to fill the gap with acrylics, it's like silicone but used in kitchens and you can buy it in a dark grey. I want to fill the gap because it remains a weak spot of my table - think about moving things around, they get stuck on the rims of the gap and slowly, the tiles will come off and so forth. Therefore, I planned on sealing it to make it more durable.

• Like 1

Very nice board.  Well thought out and executed. 

On 06/02/2016 at 0:13 PM, MR TORGUE said:

absolutely beautiful board. What did you use for the river effect. I have a plan for my own board this year and you've certainly given me food for thought :D

Spoiler

B_Ausschnitt%202_zpsouhe31lx.jpg

From the edge of the water in this image it looks like he used Envirotex Lite or something similar.  It is a resin used to cover tabletops with a clear surface.  It is available over here on Amazon and not prohibitively expensive.  A good tutorial for doing the water is provided by Hirst Arts. 
Linkey

Just remember to pour it in thin layers.  That allows you to build up the depth and gives an even surface.   If you pour thick it will develop a visible concave meniscus.

Hope that helps. 

Snitchy sends.

Thanks for your kind replies. Unfortunately, real life strickes again (we are building a house and spend a lot of time looking for kitchens and stuff), therefore I haven't done anything the past days.

@lusciousmccabe

As soon as the acrylics will settle, I'm cutting them with a sharp knife; therefore, the table will be flippable again but the gap has some filling.

@MR TORGUE

@snitchythedog is right, it's done exactly that way. I put some green paint into the resin and sprinkled some mixed herbs onto the water to simulate algae and leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice board there! I sniped a pair of portal gates on both sides of the river. Are there any houserules to use them?

About filling the gap: Try to cover one of the sides of the gap with divider (potato starch/talc/any other powder) it will help to detach acrylic filler when it dries.

Thank you very much for your nice replies :-)

I thought about using the gates as connections. You simply walk through an come out at the other side. This can alter the gameplay very much, so it is only used in scenarios. I thought about expanding the idea by buying more terrain fitting this concept: For example, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/awakening-gaming-terrain

Maybe I buy the floating crystal set, it could suit the table very nicely by giving more "other-world"-feeling to it. What do you think?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about this topic here.

@spectrehorseman

No, but I am planning on one :-)

A lot has been done in the meantime: I moved and build a house currently, so not much time left for the hobby. Nevertheless I managed to finish the table some time during autumn and had my first game on it (!) last weekend. But that threw me completely back on the Malifaux-hook, therefore there may be expected more to come :-)

Totale_zpsdqfw0zx6.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, the board plays really nice (although it was a one-timer so far).

Of course, the canal on one side, hinders some movement and there are a lot of alleyways, but neither my buddy and me play Seamus ;-)

1_zpsc1zdoqzv.jpg

5_zpszaab1z6o.jpg

6_zpsj02fmmse.jpg

7_zpscn6p0fxl.jpg

8_zpsxu99bmpz.jpg

9_zpsf8smgd75.jpg

12_zpscpmlchao.jpg

13_zpsaykxqlng.jpg

17_zpsmsmf8buq.jpg

18_zpslmkj2ga1.jpg

19_zps3sytpxko.jpg

21_zps0pozvyns.jpg

It was a fun game :-)

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Thanks a ton :-)

The trees are bought from Noch, a German distributor for model railroad stuff: http://shop.noch.de/produkt-kategorien/baeume-buesche-fuer-dioramen-modell-landschaften-und-modelleisenbahn-anlagen/profi-baume/laubbaeume/21802.html  I decided to gor for more expensive trees this time but taking tall ones. I didn't want a board with trees that are maybe twice as big as a miniature..

The statues are bought from thomarillion, again a German shop that has a lot of nice terrain-articles. And I like supporting small companies ;-) http://www.thomarillion.de/?page=catalog 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KrazyIvan said:

Your boards came together very nicely. Great work!

Thanks a ton; although I feel my board does not match the quality of your city board ;-) Your vine-overgrown buildings are simply breathtaking!

We had another game yesterday:

1_zps2ucnxijj.jpg

2_zpsvqjmgyhc.jpg

3_zpseoqhjoxg.jpg

4_zpsxmdbdhox.jpg

I am planning on increasing my collection of terrain with the upcoming Renedra Fences and some advertising colums. I've found beautiful posters (http://www.beastsofwar.com/wolsung-ssg/put-posters-wolsung-tables/) I want to distribute here and there. Maybe I'll try to lay my hands on a Garden of Morrs Set, too?

• Like 1