Question on conduct

So I have a question regarding the rules of the forums and the conduct around here. You have written in your rules for the forum that:

Be nice, offensive, insulting or aggressive posts will not be tolerated. - by MythicFOX

Along with an addition of:

Our goal is to have a forum that people feel comfortable asking questions, disagreeing, and having their own opinions. - by Aaron

And now to my actual point, the thread about Guild Autopsy renders got shutdown even though it was about people asking questions and disagreeing in no way a hostile manner. Which kinda breaks the second quote by Aaron. But even more so, the way it was shutdown was and I quote which breaks the first rule by MythicFOX:

Stop being asses to each other. - by Nathan

Just last week a forum user got a mod hat post for telling another user that he was being rude, which is just normal interaction and should be allowed in adult discussions to tell someone that they are acting rude, yet it was not allowed. But it is okay, for your staff to act insulting and use words like stop being asses, when the users aren't allowed to politely say that someone is being rude? 

So how are we, the users supposed to know what is out of line and unacceptable behaviour if such behaviour is shown by the staff of the forums? And when we are being reprimanded for far less that the mods around deem as being inappropriate behaviour? 

• Like 4

I must echo the sentiment above. The closing post in the autopsy thread had me more than a little confused since it seemed more insulting than the discussion. There is an important distinction between a moderator politely saying: "Careful guys, this is close to turning ugly" or shutting a thread down while simultaneously calling people assholes. A simple reminder often does the trick.

The moderators might want to wait a little longer before intervening so forcefully since a user being blunt might not explode into a flame war and doesn't in any way reflect negatively on Wyrd as a company. A moderator is however an official representative of the company so them posting the same thing reflects a lot more negatively on the forums and the company as a whole.

I realize moderating a forum is hard work and I do greatly appreciate you guys putting in that effort but would appreciate a "softer" official stance.

Edited by Ludvig
  • Like 2

As a Mod, deciding what warrants action and what doesn't can be a difficult line to tread. We try to make calls as best as possible and yes - sometimes they might come across as overly draconian. That said, I'm always open to receiving feedback, good or bad. So just be aware that we're taking this feedback (as we would with any other comments) into consideration. 

• Like 4

To echo what Rathnard has said it's a difficult line to tread, and I'm the first to admit I don't always get it spot on. That said more or less any action we take (including doing nothing) will appear to be too harsh or too lenient to someone. That's just human nature.

I value the feedback I get on my moderation. My use of 'modhat' tags came directly from user feedback, and I continue to evolve my approach based on comments from the users.

Edited by mythicFOX
  • Like 4

There is an important distinction between a moderator politely saying: "Careful guys, this is close to turning ugly" or shutting a thread down while simultaneously calling people assholes. 

There is a vast difference between saying play nice, if such a thing was warranted in the first place than lockdown a thread just because and call your forum users, paying customers, community members assholes. 

• Like 2

I agree in every way with this feedback. I too was very surprised & a little shocked at the language used by the company's owner.

That thread most definitely did not need closing, especially in the way it was handled.  What's wrong with one person challenging another?

• Like 1