You stance on filthy rezzers

Hey everyone!

Disclaimer: Since I can't convey tone of voice or facial expressions I will state that this topic is written sort of tongue in cheek, please don't take offence. The topic is however meant to inspire a grown up discussion that leads to maximum enjoyment and concensus (one can at least have ambition) ;) . I am not trying to point any fingers either so rest assured that whoever you are I don't have a beef with you as a person.

I've noticed what I feel is a spike in the filthy practice known as threadomancy lately. I would expect it in the resser parts of the forums (which is why I stay clear) but it seems to be spreading. 

Sometimes I guess you find an interesting old tactics discussion that seems to have died out and want to add something but there are usually stickies for that. Lately I have seen familiar old threads popping up with not much new info added. I would sort of prefer a new thread where the old one is mentioned or linked for those wanting to catch up, seems easier than having to sift through 5+ pages of 6 month old comments. Quoting something 3+ months old seems especially strange to me. This may or may not be related to people needing to vent some sort of steam, I do love the joking comments and camraderie usually drifting around threads in general around here. 

I might be wrong or have a very strict definition of what a dead post is. This might also be me turning into a grumpy old man so I'm asking the rest of you how you feel about threadomancy and when you feel that a thread should be laid to rest. 

/Ludvig

Edit for anyone reading this at a later date: 

This thread highlighted that different users had different definitions of threadomancy and whether it was good or bad. The concensus reached was more or less - do as you please. If you are wondering whether you should chime in on an old thread or start a new one with a similar topic just be mindful of the date stamp and then do as you please. If you start a new thread it can be helpful to link or reference the old one so people know you have read it.

Hope that clears things up!

Ps. This thread was ironically enough brought up once more a few months later since it is a topic that seems to hit close to the heart with a lot of players. Feel free to dig it up again if you feel you have something to add. ;) 

/Ludvig

I suspect it's more newcomers to the forums, who look for the things they want to ask. They then feel the need to add something, not realizing that the thread is half a year old.

I do love the joking comments and camraderie usually drifting around threads in general around here. 

Yeah, I like to read through old threads as well. It was a really welcoming place to be. Felt like some kind of extended family to me.

• Like 2

I suspect it's more newcomers to the forums, who look for the things they want to ask. They then feel the need to add something, not realizing that the thread is half a year old.

It sounds very admirable when you put it like that, maybe I just need to see it in a different light. Sooner or later a certain doctor might help me see the faintly glowing green light of truth and change my mind on the concept of alive vs dead ;) 

The past tense in your last two sentences makes me sad. Hope you find that feeling again!

Edited by Ludvig

It sounds very admirable when you put it like that, maybe I just need to see it in a different light. Sooner or later a certain doctor might help me see the faintly glowing green light of truth and change my mind on the concept of alive vs dead ;) 

The past tense in your last two sentences makes me sad. Hope you find that feeling again!

Yeah, I find threadomancy annoying as well, but I can understand the reasons of beginners. We have discussed large parts of the game over the years. If someone discovers it, they might feel the need to chime in in past discussions. My stance has always been to just point it out.

And no need to worry about me. I just moved my chatty self elsewhere, so I don't annoy people who want a more solemn approach to community.

• Like 1

I was the same about a month and a half ago when I made my account to join the Nythera event. Then in a VERY dull moment I realized I could swim through pages and pages of threads. I never liked forums and the like, mind you. Yet I was so excited to be able to add some things and learn others that the posts in this thread and the other piled up. I didn't realize people call this "threadomancy" or whatever and generally dislike it until it it was pointed out to me by others.

• Like 2

I was the same about a month and a half ago when I made my account to join the Nythera event. Then in a VERY dull moment I realized I could swim through pages and pages of threads. I never liked forums and the like, mind you. Yet I was so excited to be able to add some things and learn others that the posts in this thread and the other piled up. I didn't realize people call this "threadomancy" or whatever and generally dislike it until it it was pointed out to me by others.

It isn't spelled out anywhere so not very easy to know. Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old man. 

I love the influx of new players so having a few corpses walking around is a price I am willing to pay. Generally you can start a new thread were you just mention being aware of the old one and pose the question again, maybe with a new twist or followup. Sometimes new models or FaQ rulings have been added that make half of the old thread obsolete so it can be dangerous to go too far back.

Putting a local tactica in each faction on here will still have people asking questions already answered in the tactica. That's what humans do. 

Why do the work of looking for it yourself if you can just ask and get told the answer? :P

I have mixed feelings about raising dead threads. I don't especially like it, but on the other hand, seeing someone start up a new thread about XYZ topic for the third time in as many months would also get complained about. So I let bygones be bygones and just deal with the necromancy or the repetitiveness and read on :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I've noticed what I feel is a spike in the filthy practice known as threadomancy lately. I would expect it in the resser parts of the forums (which is why I stay clear) but it seems to be spreading.

I've never understood the negative view on thread necromancy.

Seems like if the topic is current enough where a person thinks it needs more, then it really wasn't dead after all. As for why, it's probably search engine related. Either the internal or an external one, which lists old threads in a search for new information.

If you really want to stop thread necromancy, there are two easy solutions:

-Mods can lock threads.

-You can put a link to a more current thread on the same topic at the end of a dead thread. This is a solid option, as a person will find the old one in a search, then follow the links and be able to contribute to the current conversation.

I've never understood the negative view on thread necromancy.

Seems like if the topic is current enough where a person thinks it needs more, then it really wasn't dead after all. As for why, it's probably search engine related. Either the internal or an external one, which lists old threads in a search for new information.

If you really want to stop thread necromancy, there are two easy solutions:

-Mods can lock threads.

-You can put a link to a more current thread on the same topic at the end of a dead thread. This is a solid option, as a person will find the old one in a search, then follow the links and be able to contribute to the current conversation.

Putting the link there would make the thread pop up and be ressurected so would go against my purposes of keeping it dead ;) It's also a lot of work compared to just leaving it.

The discussion in this thread gave me a better understanding of why people do it. Ressurecting a thread has it's places, like adding to a tactica or reading an old thread instead of asking the same question again a couple or months later. 

Adding to something someone said two years ago when the game was in a completely different state can however get really confusing since people will read older threads and think they represent current opinions and rules. I think I posted this subject after someone had reopened a rules debate that had led to an FaQ answer and quoted someone having the "losing" opinion as some sort of idiot who couldn't read FaQs. That sort of thing can be avoided if people look at the timestamps on posts.

I think the reasonable thing to do, would be for the mods or site to just deactivate/lock threads after a certain time... 

It's really not that big of a deal. The new players are the ones most likely to do this sort of thing, so it's not like the entire group of forum users are going to assume that the old information is up-to-date...etc. 

I agree with Paxmiles. 

• Like 1