2016 UK Nationals

OldManMyke

Wayland Gaming Centre in Hockley meets all those requirements, and held the GT in 2013, but the location is a bit out of the way for some folks (though close to Southend airport). Limited on-site catering, shops a few minutes away, but accomodation situation unknown (those I know need a car to get to).

Hiring a hotel function suite would be another option, but could be expensive.

Sanctuary Gaming in Sutton-in-Ashield

It's in an old church and has plenty of space.

Has a shop inside with hot & cold food & drink

Has a gaming store inside as well

Business has WiFi (should be available at event)

In town centre and close to pubs, takeaways and shops

In the Midlands so central for everyone

Plenty of local parking and accomm

Would also vote for Sanctuary.

We know from Maelstrom days that Mansfield's accommodation can more than cope with a sudden influx of gamers wanting beer and takeaways. The venue's big enough, it's central and it ticks the boxes. 

Plus, and this is normally a pretty big plus, it would also be a cheap weekend!

How cold is Sanctuary at the end of November? 

I don't know but I worry about that venue's unholy ability to suck the warmth from you.  I'd hate to see a great event blighted by a bout of hypothermia. 

Can be pretty bad and there is no way control for this variable (it is a big stone church with lots of stain glass windows, a cold snap would suck the heat out of the fabric of the building)

Sanctuary is a great venue. Pretty central and right on the M1 should make travel less painful for most players. Local accommodation is plentiful and reasonable and whilst its not the warmest building as long as people bring a jumper or coat in case it is cold it won't be a problem. Plus it will warm up fast with that many players.

I'm not so sure if even 100+ players could warm it up, but on the other hand I'm always cold. It's more the hands and feet that freeze, and I'm not sure I want to play the GT in gloves.

I like Sanctuary a lot, it might be better though to have the doubles GT, or a team GT there in summer.

The option of course is we could move the Nationals to the summer, though personally i like it at the end of the year.   

I will put out feelers to both Firestorm and Sanctuary and see what they can offer.  Im wary of going to a hotel based event - though i think it would be awesome - as i know most of us are cost sensitive.

of course the other thing is are you all happy for me to continue running this evnt or would you like someone else to take it over, I do it for you lot after all

The option of course is we could move the Nationals to the summer, though personally i like it at the end of the year.   

I will put out feelers to both Firestorm and Sanctuary and see what they can offer.  Im wary of going to a hotel based event - though i think it would be awesome - as i know most of us are cost sensitive.

of course the other thing is are you all happy for me to continue running this evnt or would you like someone else to take it over, I do it for you lot after all

November is fine. Happy for you to run things, and I'm happy to help if you need it.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's ever been thought of and having not attended a GT before i'm not sure I can truly comment but is there are legs in splitting the GT into a North/South "heats" then a GT finals being played. 

It seems to me that the UK has such fantastic support, i'm sure that two venues one in the north, one in the south could be obtained for 64 players apiece then the top 16 from each go into a further one day tourney...or something similar. 

Venue's are then not so much of an issue and it allows for potentially a lot more players than 128 in future. 

Just my tuppence worth into.

That said, i'm super glad someone (Mike) organises this so wonderfully. 

I couldn't agree with splitting it. It's great to get everyone in one room (OK, several rooms) from across the UK, and several other countries too! I can't wait for this year's event because my draw could be northern player, southern player, Northern Irish player, Swedish player. We can't do that anywhere else.

Ref the NWGC, the last 3 times I've gone up there I've come back with a throat or chest bug. I'm not going back until the place is thoroughly cleaned and they stop pumping fumes into the room from that generator by the bar, whatever it is. Love Element and the locals, hate the dependence on Strepsils afterwards.

I definitely would want to keep this as a single big event rather than splitting North and South.  Having an event with a big enough gravitational pull to pick up players from all corners of the UK is one of the biggest draws for me.  I totally with Connor and Panzer on that one.

Obviously I'd love for Common Grounds to be considered, but realistically I think that would be too big a trip for a lot of folks from further down South.  If we can get any kind of venue in Manchester, York, Leeds etc that pretty much splits the difference in travel time for those of us up in Scotland and those based on the South coast.

November is a nice time of year to have this; it feels like the end of the tournament season.

Thanks so much to Mike and all other helpers.  You probably never hear it much from the community but we are all very grateful for the work you put in to get such a big and wonderful event going to bring us all together from our separate corners of the UK.

• Like 2

Hello guys, Rich from Sanctuary here. Many of you will know Sanctuary and many of you will not, Sanctuary definitely has the space and the facilities to host this event. This event is also one that Sanctuary would be proud to host and what we have been aiming to achieve as far as events go. Malifaux is one of our main focuses system wise and will continue to be so, we have supported the community and received support in return. As people have already mentioned Sanctuary is central and easy to get to, we have future plans for the venue and need events like this to help fund them. The venue does get cold yes, that is 100% fact and I will not sugar coat it but part of the plan is to install heated spot lights that will keep gamers warm in the winter months. To do that we need cash and lots of it as it does not come cheap, another plan is for a fully functional kitchen that can provide good quality hot meals. We can get a temp alcohol licence for the weekend and there is plenty of accommodation nearby plus an all you can eat buffet. The shop is also always fully stocked, what else could you ask for?

Rich.   

• Like 2