What's your go-to beatstick?

surly

We sadly have no Resser player in our group (~10 people and no Ressers ... blasphemy! :D), so I can't really get any good advice there and therefore prefer asking here ;)

While killing enemy models isn't always the best option, it sometimes is, and even if not it's at least funny :D

I'm curious which one is your favourite one and why you bring it.

From the top of my head I can think of these:

- Izamu

- Rogue Necro

- Dead Rider

- Valedictorian

- Punk Zombies

In case I missed one, bear with me and just mention it.

Thanks, Cheers!

Carrion Emissary - 3/3:blast/4:blast on a Ca 6, with a :masktrigger to take the action again (which doesn't have to target the same model) was very destructive in my game last night. Killed Abuela (who had 3 wounds left) and blasted onto Queeg and another model. Triggered :mask to target Queeg and then hit him for 3 damage, reducing him to Hard to kill and killing another model. 2nd AP killed Queeg, before throwing up some shards to cover himself. This model is mean! The range is the only negative, Rg 6 or :melee1

Shikome - targeting an Adversary model will do 3/4/6 against Df or Wp, and can charge for 1 action against poisoned targets.Found a use for Guild Autopsies/Crooked men for setting up Poison charges!

Sybelle - while not particularly Killy outside of with a flourish, has lots of options - turning things into peons, obeying models to do things it doesn't want to etc...

Copycat Killer - everyone wonders why I charge this guy in, but :crowtrigger really can ruin people's day, and the fear of the :crowtrigger makes people discard cards to defend against him. Perfect for 3ss

The Emissary (and CCK when playing Seamus) are my favourites for sure!

Edited by Kogan Style
  • Like 1

Having only a few games under my belt so far I'm curious - what's the best way for Ressers to get annoying stuff with armor off the field? Joss comes to mind for example.

McMourning is very good at killing models with Armor (and Hard to Kill, with Catalyst and Poison).

I'm not a huge fan of Sybelle or Validictorian as dedicated beaters, to me they're more as a mix of beating and support/being intimidating to your opponent. Maybe I'm just playing semantics. Validictorian having a min 2 and no way to cut through armor is pretty meh for 10 points for me prior to upgrades. Punks definitely take it for me, just because I summon so frequently. I've yet to try our RN or DR, but Izamu is amazing as well.

Edited by gromgrom

Dastue Ba's attacks both ignore Armour, but it can be risky since she needs to be in Melee to start the onslaught (her Melee attack can trigger her spell which means potentially you can get 4 attacks out)

Shikome's inbuilt trigger ignores armour. 

If Onryo get :tome trigger they can ignore Armour too

Student of Steel ignores armour - he doesn't like constructs at all

• Like 1

I tend to use the shikome a lot for dealing with armor or Sebastian and poison as poison ignores armor. Other than that, sometimes you do not need to kill a model to make it useless in play, thank you nurse. The other way of dealing with armor is to out armor it.... Izamu + Grave Spirit will do that.

I have been using Dastue Ba a fare bit recently and though she can give a beat down I am iffy about her in such a role but she is not bad at it especially if you have the cards for it. At 6 wd even with incorporeal she can be vary squishy and take being aware of what has ca actions and that might shift you priorities a bit for movement and targeting.

Other beaters I like are rogue necro and Nothing Beast, guess who I play as a resser lol. Generally if your min damage is a 2 with no easy way to increase it I tend to ignore you as a beater role and have you run as an interceptor or a clean up model, I blame to many games as neverborn for skewing my perspective of it.

Killjoy also is a pretty crazy beat stick that we can take, he's extremely expensive but he's crazy good at killing things and surviving to kill more things. Then if you're like me and play Nico you get to buff him as he's Undead. He's very survivable and personally I love enforcers that can heal themselves. Mix that with his (1) AP Charge (who cares that it's not optional, it's where you want him to be anyway) and you've got a killy, survivable tank of a giant zombie. 

My favorite beat stick though has to be Izamu. Tough, strong, well priced, and near impossible to get away from, with enough armor to make him shrug off even the strongest hits, Izamu rocks and is probably my favorite non-Nicodem model in the game. 

For dealing with armor I'm just gonna toss my name into the Student of Steel hat, all the Students are good and worth picking up their box for, and Steel shows your opponent just how you feel about their armor. 

Izamu is ridiculously good! If his attacks hit your opponent is stuck with an awesome damage track and a :+fate!

I do love the Valedictorian too though. She is not an outright damage dealer but she is so tough and has an awesome area of control with her Flight, Wk 6, :melee3, and the Lecture Notes (0) is really awesome for control. She also dishes out damage fairly well. Must be said with Necrotic Preparation an Unnerving Aura she is far better and Molly makes that even better.

Depends on which Master I'm playing.  For Yan Lo, I bring Izamu, b/c I can summon him back if he dies.  For Nicodem, I use Rogue Necromancy, but only through summoning him with the "Spare Parts" upgrade.  With Kirai, Ikiryo is generally more than enough, since she can be summoned repeatedly.

As far as heavy hitting minions, I like Punk Zombies for their "Flurry".  Crooked Men and Drowned, while not as offensively strong, are pretty resilient, and have "Finish the Job" which is great for certain schemes.