Sonnia Criid - tactics, crew build?

asmodai

Hi i am a new player that recently   bought Sonnia Criid box "The Torch and the Blade" and I was wondering, how should she be played? What is her tactic? I would like to hear from players who actually plays her, instead of you guys directing me to "pull my finger" where every box is conveniently awesome, and every model is a must have. :P

From what I see, her main strength is blast damage, but what happens when the opponent does not group up his forces ? 
What upgrades are must have on Sonnia, and what is her crew is best built? I figured francisco over hopkins is good trade. 

Edited by mythicFOX
fixed the text colour

I'd recommend that you listen to the Schemes and stones podcast for her, it's full of great advice.

http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/episode-12-master-spotlight-sonnia-criid/

Personally I'd heavily recommend getting a papa loco (from the latigo posse box, or if you can find one an old metal) and a death marshal to play the papa in a box trick.

Papa uses his Hold this action on Sonnia, and then the death marshal puts him in his pinebox. This gives Sonnia :+fate flips to all her damage flips helping her get more blasts!

Edited by Furio
  • Like 1

Pull My Finger articles have been written by people who actually play the masters. That might indeed lead to a situation where all the models are awesome because their descriptions are written by people who think they are awesome. Do you really expect people in here to tell you to use models they themselves don't like?

I don't really like that attitude, and I like black text on dark background even less. If you want to find generic information about Sonnia and don't want to read Pull My Finger, then read the existing Sonnia threads on this forum, instead of making a new thread where you expect people to tell you everything about playing a master.

• Like 9

Dear Asmodai

The pull my finger article on Sonnia actually narrows your choices quite a bit. It basically only mentions models from two other starting boxes (that you generally want to get no matter who you are going to play in Guild since it's the only way to get several staple models that will show up in a lot of lists) and Austringers (who you more or less have to actively avoid when building lists since they are so good you always want them). 

That being said I have to agree with the people above that you come off as very brusque in your initial post. If you weren't aware this is something we do in our free time to help people out and courtesy goes a long way if you want that free help. If you don't want to read what others have said earlier and want to be served a guide on a silver platter I could give you a private rundown in exchange for a monetary compensation, just PM me.

I'd try playing a few games according to the tips on PMF, figure out what you feel you are missing and then post again in a more polite way with more specific questions.Hope this helps!

• Like 3

There isn't "a right way" to play her. And there isn't a "best" crew

There are several different ways to play her, and which way you go depends on what you like, what works for you, what models you own, and what the board actually looks like. (Oh and the most important, what your stratergy and schemes are. Never lose sight of how you are actually going to win)

I've seen successful list that contain both Sam and Francisco. I've seen 8 witchling stalkers deployed at the beginning of the game, and win, I've even seen games where at no point during the game does an enemy model catch fire. 

All these can be successful, and all do the job in a slightly different way. 

My best advice is play what you own for a few games. Try switching the upgrades around, and see which work with you. Then look at where you struggle, and see what is around for that. Sam for example is an amazing damage dealer, but quite Fragile. Against fast moving and hard hitting crews, he may die before he has done his stuff. Francisco is less good at dealing damage, but can be  more durable, and make other models more durable. 

Papa loco in a death Marshalls coffin is often suggested as a good way to give Sonnia :+fate flips to damage, but is pretty expensive if that's all you get for it. (It can dpo more stuff, but you are dedicating a lot of points to this, so it isn't as good as it seems at first glance)

Witchling stalkers are one of the best ways to get models on fire. Witchling handlers are another good way, but if you're not playing a crew that is trying to do this (i.e you don't have  re-incarnation, and you don't expect to need to ignore line of sight) then you might not find them making your lists. 

And just to echo

Pull my finger is generally written by the people that are likely to answer your questions here. In almost all cases the articles are written by people that have played the figures a lot,.  You might find the advice is a bit general, but that's in part because people play them models in different styles, and currently, just about every model in the game has some situations where it is amazing. How often those situations come up, is dependent on how you and your opponent play. (Just try merging what I've said and what Furio said about Papa, and you'll see why it can seem that every model is amazing in something that is editable by everyone. )

• Like 1

I am truly  sorry you guys interpreted me as arrogant. That was not my intention, and i would like to apoligize! It is just, i wondered if i could get some info about Sonnia that isnt allready there (as i read it all on "pull my finger" anyhow and i read some of treads on Sonnia here on forum). I played some games, and in most, there is allways "this is good to get", and "dont get this". I figured i will not get "dont get this" on pull my finger, as it does not say anything on that matter.

For the part i get black letter is beyond me. I would try to change it to white, but i dont see option. I did copy past it from my notpad.

Thanks for all answers! I do hope it is not too late to change your point of view on me as a player and person :D

Edited by asmodai
  • Like 3

I think the responses were a bit harsh. This is the internet - you can't convey tone or intent with a post, so jumping down someone's throat because you read something into it that probably isn't even there should be avoided. Give people the benefit of the doubt, and an opportunity to clarify what they mean :)

I can see why, having come from other games like 40k or WM/H, you might get suspicious when every model is hailed as being amazing, but they truly are. In the right crew, everything can shine. Almost nothing is sub-par. Malifaux is a very different game in that pretty much everything is nasty, and pretty much everything is worth playing and awesome. Some masers are more insidious and difficult to master than others, but they're all great fun and very thematic.

Having said that, reading PullMyFinger, listening to Schemes and Stones or my personal favourite, Before We Begin (I think they have covered Sonnia at some point) will give you pretty much all you need to know to start playing.

Beyond that, searching for existing threads on the Guild forum will also get you lots of great information.

• Like 5

One of the great things about Malifaux is the relatively flat balance so you can probably get away with playing pretty much whatever you feel like.

I like to use the Papa Loco / Death Marshal thing as the difference a cheatable damage flip makes for Sonnia is really big.  The Brutal Effigy synergises really well with her desire to hurt or kill all the things.  Hunters are just solid all the time and can survive a severe damage plus burning from Sonnia in case you need a fire beacon.  Austringers have a great toolbox and if necessary can Deliver Orders to Sonnia to get her out of melee if something fast has run up to engage her (you can do the same thing with Francisco but I feel like the opportunity cost is much higher with him as a bodyguard).  I personally tend to use Sonnia for all my damage output in all but the killiest strategies so you can afford to take a fairly lightweight crew otherwise to complete your schemes.

For your specific question about what to do if the other crew doesn't bunch up, I don't find it a big problem.  Sonnia has a big range and 3 blasts plus 2" from the target on severe allows you to cover a lot of board

If you're looking for a more personalised view of Sonnia than PullMyFinger provides then you could try the Battle Reports subforum; I've posted a lot of Sonnia games there this year.

• Like 2

I am truly  sorry you guys interpreted me as arrogant. That was not my intention, and i would like to apoligize! It is just, i wondered if i could get some info about Sonnia that isnt allready there (as i read it all on "pull my finger" anyhow and i read some of treads on Sonnia here on forum). I played some games, and in most, there is allways "this is good to get", and "dont get this". I figured i will not get "dont get this" on pull my finger, as it does not say anything on that matter.

For the part i get black letter is beyond me. I would try to change it to white, but i dont see option. I did copy past it from my notpad.

Thanks for all answers! I do hope it is not too late to change your point of view on me as a player and person :D

I might be wrong but is it possible English isn't your first language?

Edited by Furio

I find Sonnia to be quite flexible with her crew composition. Also, despite seeming to do just a few things really well different people will play Sonnia completely differently and hence favour different models. I've used her about 10 times and have yet to actually cast Flamewall, so I'm very likely doing it wrong, but I am loving blasting away and bopping whatever comes close with her sword to harvest more cards and heal up. She's only been taken down once and the win/loss ratio is looking pretty good (for me anyway).

Even with this flexibility, the models I am always fielding are the Witchling Handler and the Brutal Effigy. I will always take Sonnia's Reincarnaton upgrade and the Witchling Handler's Burn them, Burn Them All! action makes it so much easier to get Burning on models. The Brutal Effigy helps to keep her trucking once she starts taking hits and the extra cards from killing things make summoning more Witchling Stalkers easy. I remember in one game between Fear Not The Sword and her sword's Absorb Magic trigger I had 12 cards in hand, even after cheating and discarding. I will usually not hire many Stalkers (0 to 2 of them) and instead summon them during the game.

The Papa Loco Pinebox trick makes getting blasts a lot easier, but is also easy to forget when you are still learning the game.

So as always, play to the Strat & Schemes, read PullMyFinger, listen to podcasts, and find what works for you. Experience is often the best teacher.

Yeah... english is not my first language. Thanks for all the help! I did find this radio-version to be very useful  http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/episode-12-master-spotlight-sonnia-criid/

I will try on my own way to find what works for me, and so on. Tips from here will be on my mind  And from there we will see... In the end, it is allways all about having fun :) 

Edited by asmodai
  • Like 1

Yeah... english is not my first language. Thanks for all the help! I did find this radio-version to be very useful  http://schemesandstones.podbean.com/e/episode-12-master-spotlight-sonnia-criid/

I will try on my own way to find what works for me, and so on. Tips from here will be on my mind  And from there we will see... In the end, it is allways all about having fun :)

Don't be frightened off by some rude reponses from a few in this thread.

• Like 1

Don't be frightened off by some rude reponses from a few in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, but I put hours and hours into Sonnia's pullmyfinger article. Someone coming in here and just flat-out stating that he doesn't like my work and rather wants some actual advice does tend to get me on the wrong foot. It's why I chose not to repsond to the query at all.

Granted, he didn't mean anything by it and it was a misunderstanding about the nature of pullmyfinger... but there wasn't only one rude party involved here.

To clear this up: We, the fans, wrote pullmyfinger in our free time, for the benfit of the beginners. It's not perfect but making it smaller won't get anyone on the good side of the people here either. Instead, join pullmyfinger and add to the ressource. Way more helpful for everyone.

Also, don't hesitate to come here with specific questions above the info supplied there. I'm sure someone will respond to such questions, an a much more generous way.

• Like 3

Wow.. What? I don't think it's way off line saying that someone's behaviour is being rude? I think we are supposed to be adults here capable of discussion and handle the fact that we get told that we are rude if we are. Without the mod hat post? :D

• Like 2

<MOD HAT>

Calling people out only tends to escalate the situation.

If you feel someone is being rude to another user then the appropriate response is to report the post. Mods can then review and step in before things get out of hand, IE before we're forced to do more than ask you to be nice to each other.

Please move this thread back to the topic, or I'll be forced to lock it.  I'm happy to discuss moderation principals and practice by direct message if people want.

</MOD HAT>

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently I was tinkering around my favour Witch Hunter mistress and I think she will shine with Brutal Emissary and his Conflux of Incineration.

Emissary will allow to hand over Burning pretty nicely (which might even allow Samael to get back on the table) but also it will fill Death Marshal role as 'the box guardian of Papa Loco) :D

I really like this crew:

Sonnia -- 5ss pool
+Cherufe's Imprint
+Counterspell Aura (could be swap for something else like the one allowing to summon Stalkers)

Malifaux Child
Brutal Emissary
+Conflux Of Incineration
Guild Hound
Guild Hound
Guild Hound
Guild Hound
Papa Loco
Samael Hopkins
Witchling Stalker

Loads of killing potential, nice scheme running, condition removal.

A dog (or 2) can be swap for Brutal Effigy if you go for Stalkers summoning.

The problem is that you are letting Loco out of the box and leaving him out, forcing him to activate and drop the buff you boxed him for to begin with. On top of that Loco is now acting as a huge liability because of his esplody crap in the middle of your crew.

Couple that with the fact that a single blast might kill all your hounds, I like the effigy and two watchers more than hounds (but that's maybe more of a personal preference).

I would still want to keep his buff after t2. Since the emmissary can't rebury him turn 2 if he buried him turn 1 I would still prefer burying with a marshal and using all the emmissary's AP for throwing dynamite in a similar setup while keeping the buff longer (potentially at least).

I would still want to keep his buff after t2. Since the emmissary can't rebury him turn 2 if he buried him turn 1 I would still prefer burying with a marshal and using all the emmissary's AP for throwing dynamite in a similar setup while keeping the buff longer (potentially at least).

That's what I meant.

• Like 1

That's what I meant.

You had me confused since Danielo's suggested list above didn't have a marshal in it. 

Getting to use Loco's attacks is nice, it's silly that he has been reduced to a guild version of the mobile toolkit for most people. I have played him unboxed against Tara a couple of times and he puts down some real hurt if your enemy can't get to him fast enough.

• Like 1