Wyrd please bring the terraclips back.

Neonbasschild

It's not their decision. They didn't manufacture it. World works games did, in a partnership with Wyrd. In much the same way the new plastic terrain by plasticraft is putting out licensed malifaux terrain.

from what I understand the owners of world works got involved in some other project or industry, which hearsay says was films, and they have pretty much abandoned their terrain company. Hence why no more terraclips. Even if wyrd wanted to bring it back without world works, there would be a massive investment in getting the legal business sorted out, not to mention setting up their own manufacturing agreements, for both printing and plastic manufacture. I remember when the product was first getting released and there were tons of delays and cost overruns because it took awhile to get the quality control issues worked out. Having to start over would be a business and logistical nightmare I would imagine.

while I would also like to see terraclips return, I think it's pretty much for certain it has passed on, and no passing resser is interested in the effort it would take to revive that particular product line.

Edited by Fetid Strumpet
  • Like 1

Actually, you're a 100% wrong on that Fetid. We could manufacture at any time, and we do own it, it wasn't licensed. 

We don't because of various reasons, not the least of which is costs and return vs. other projects that could be developed. It is a very costly product to produce in quantities that make a difference, not to mention the weight of shipping and space of storage it takes.

• Like 1

Actually, you're a 100% wrong on that Fetid. We could manufacture at any time, and we do own it, it wasn't licensed. 

We don't because of various reasons, not the least of which is costs and return vs. other projects that could be developed. It is a very costly product to produce in quantities that make a difference, not to mention the weight of shipping and space of storage it takes.

Nathan perhaps some of these issues could be mitigated with a bit of retooling. What I mean by this is things like releasing a few vinyl mats (similar to the ones you utilized during one of the GenCons) for the base levels instead of cramming them into the base sets (would allow those sets to be shrunk) or smaller themed single building sets that feature a story encounter and/or TtB Penny Dreadful built around them. These things could widen the appeal quite a bit and provide a nice bridge between Wyrd's two main product lines. I know these sets were much more popular among the RPG crowds initially.

I know they were also fun with Puppet Wars, though required some "house ruling". It wouldn't be too difficult to expand Terraclips use into that product line with some further development.

Lastly, and out of curiosity we these produced over seas or domestically?

Terraclips really was a great line, especially the buildings set.

Also came across this thread on another site showing renewed interest in the line.

Edited by Omenbringer
Link discovery
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

...smaller themed single building sets that feature a story encounter and/or TtB Penny Dreadful built around them. These things could widen the appeal quite a bit and provide a nice bridge between Wyrd's two main product lines. I know these sets were much more popular among the RPG crowds initially.

this. I have a set of each. And would love more. They are the best rp lego I've used and one of my regulars was almost more a fan of building sets than the games.

My experience as a TO is certainly... different from your experience with them as a player. I generally found them to be less than ideal in both assembly and storage. I think a mat and some loose buildings with scatter terrain is far more ideal.

I agree with @valhallan42nd assessment. Honestly with the advancements in recent years with laser cutting, etc. The fact we have pre-painted things like the plastcraft stuff below is a better more permanent solution for terrain needs. 

http://www.plastcraftgames.com/en/73-designed-for-malifaux

At the time TerraClips was a great alternative to other terrain available but it was a hassle to deal with for assembly. People would have to spend 20-30min setting up a table at the store before playing. We used it a few times and realized it was better for a permanent setup. While fun to design new stuff it wasn't great for just 'pulling' terrain off the shelf and playing with. God forbid you needed to transport it.

• Like 1

I can agree with some of the complaints from a TO's perspective, however, that is why I included the recommendations I did earlier in the thread. Wyrd made mats one GenCon for their events. It greatly enhanced the set up from what I saw of it while volunteering. Not sure why they never published any, there was and still is a market for them. It would also allow the generic "mega" sets to be more of a value since you wouldn't need two sets to build a 3' x 3' table anymore and it would allow more vertical elements.

The set up was a bit problematic for TO's given the complete lack of "Lego style" instructions for generic builds. Once you put together a "standard" build though, set up sped up quite a bit. One thing that could have greatly assisted with this is themed "micro kits". Essentially that is exactly what the Plasticraft sets that are mentioned are now. Terraclips could have done something similar while still allowing integration with other sets.

Over all I think the issue with Terraclips (like Puppet Wars) was not so much in the product itself but in the execution and marketing of the product. I really would love to see the product line revitalized with a few tweeks to improve its usefulness, appeal, and value.

As always, this is only my opinion and I am sure there were plenty of reasons we are not aware of as to why Terraclips was discontinued.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...