Faction-Specific Tape Measures

B Wo

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Brian.

Good call on the red ink, Arli.

What is nice about ink is that it is translucent, so the metal will show through a little bit. I think the recesses are deep enough where the whole surface could be washed with red ink, and then the medallion could be flipped face-down on some fine sandpaper on a flat surface, and sand off the excess, making it look enameled. 

Edited by B Wo
Stupid auto-correct

Thanks, Brian.

Good call on the red ink, Arlington.

What is nice about ink is that it is translucent, so the metal will show through a little bit. I think the recesses are deep enough where the whole surface could be washed with red ink, and then the medallion could be flipped face-down on some fine sandpaper on a flat surface, and sand off the excess, making it look enameled. 

that would be really cool. how long did making all of this take?

These are super cool! I love customising my kit to show my gremlin pride and if I had the time, money and skills I would rip this idea off so hard you don't even know.

Thanks, Dogmantra. By all means, be my guest. I scanned the Gremlin logo off one of the Arsenal boxes, imported it into my photo-editing software, and removed the background noise. If you're interested, I can upload the file. I had no luck finding high-res faction logos, otherwise.

Thanks, Brian.

Good call on the red ink, Arlington.

that would be really cool. how long did making all of this take?

I will cast one of the Guild medallions tomorrow night, and hit it w/ some Vallejo Game Ink and post the results :-)

Making all this was a little convoluted: Using the same transfer paper used in etching circuit boards, I printed the logos to size, and then etched them into brass sheet w/ ferric chloride. I cut out the circles and sanded the edges smooth and buffed the surface w/ fine steel wool. I made molds of the medallions, and then cast them using brass powder and polyurethane resin. I de-molded them, buffed them, and then washed them w/ GW Agrax Earthshade. For the Gremlin one, I also added a faux-patina; I think that was a GW product, too, from the effects line. I'd say start to finish it probably took about 10 hours of work over the course of about a week. 

• 6 months later...