We're currently updating the site and a few things may run slow or not as expected at the moment. Give us a day or two to get everything sorted out and changed up if you would.

One of the new things you'll see about are the 'sticky notes' which you will occasionally see from the site Admins if something important shows up or is newsworthy, or if you happen to be in one of our many beta testing groups giving you an additional heads up when something new needs to be looked at or sorted.

You can send these amongst yourselves as well if you wish, just don't abuse it. 

Thanks for your patience!

Nathan Caroland Nathan Caroland
Aaron

The Use of Wyrd IP

Question: What about eBay sellers who are selling "pre-orders" for items that are not available? Because I see a lot of those when I look for OOP metals. Don't know if this qualifies as the same thing. 

That has absolutely nothing to do with this announcement. 

If folks choose to shop via ebay, they are welcome to do so. Doing so with someone that doesn't have the product in hand, well, that's a bit odd, but that's what ebay resolution is there for and lessons will be learned if it goes sour.

Kad Baz   

What about, say, a scheme and strategy deck that I make up as a give away for new players? I could understand if the answer is no because a Scheme and Strategy deck is commercially available, if hard to get right at the moment. Would a set of Gaining Ground Strategy cards be kosher? Thanks!

noob   

So...instead of paying someone who can draw, to draw a picture of three masters from Malifaux for me to hang on the wall....I just need to win the lottery and send Justin and Nathan a blank check and wait for one of Wyrd's artists to "drop" one as they walk by my future mansion.

I can so do this! :)

(Thanks for the announcement though, I am sure it will clear a lot of activity that's been going on lately) 

solkan   

So...instead of paying someone who can draw, to draw a picture of three masters from Malifaux for me to hang on the wall....I just need to win the lottery and send Justin and Nathan a blank check and wait for one of Wyrd's artists to "drop" one as they walk by my future mansion.

(Thanks for the announcement though, I am sure it will clear a lot of activity that's been going on lately) 

I'm pretty sure the sequence of events which makes everyone happy is:

1.  Submit copyright request form to Wyrd, saying you want to commission someone to do the drawing but the drawing is going to be for your own personal use.

2.  Wait for Wyrd's approval.

3.  Commission artist, giving them a copy of the approval document.

But the important point is that the artist isn't making a drawing and then selling it to people.  After all, the various fan made fate decks at conventions have been the result of people making up deck designs, paying to have the cards printed, and then giving the decks away. 

But you have to ask permission first, to make sure.  :)

noob   

I'm pretty sure the sequence of events which makes everyone happy is:

1.  Submit copyright request form to Wyrd, saying you want to commission someone to do the drawing but the drawing is going to be for your own personal use.

2.  Wait for Wyrd's approval.

3.  Commission artist, giving them a copy of the approval document.

But the important point is that the artist isn't making a drawing and then selling it to people.  After all, the various fan made fate decks at conventions have been the result of people making up deck designs, paying to have the cards printed, and then giving the decks away. 

But you have to ask permission first, to make sure.  :)

You are probably correct.  But I can fantasize about winning the lottery too....

Hey everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to talk about using Wyrd’s IP. There are ways you are allowed to do so and ways you aren’t, and I thought I’d take a moment to clarify some of it.

As a company, we want people to enjoy our games and our IP overall. We think it’s great when people make their own artwork and markers that take advantage of the worlds we’ve created. We encourage people to keep doing so.

That said, it’s also important that we protect our IP. Years of work from a plethora of individuals has gone into the company and making sure our IP is used correctly will help us ensure that there are many more years ahead.

Here are some simple rules about usage:

• You can use our IP for your personal use. Personal use means that you are using the item for your own purposes: if you make up your own Scheme Markers, for example, there is no issue there.

• If you make use of our IP and wish to give away your creation (such as a Fate Deck), you must submit a Copyright Use Request form (which we would provide you) to us well in advance of you giving anything away.  That request may be approved or rejected based on various circumstances. 

• You may never sell items using Wyrd’s IP. This most often occurs with Fate Decks or tokens. If it uses our images or a derivation of our images, it may not be sold.

Thanks!

Maybe Im paranoid but literally yesterday I posted up a stop gap strategy and schemes 'deck' which people could use.  Was that not koshur?

• You may never sell items using Wyrd’s IP. This most often occurs with Fate Decks or tokens. If it uses our images or a derivation of our images, it may not be sold.

Thanks!

So.....are you saying I can't create my own drawings of the faction logos and use them without your permission?

Tawg   

Sounds legit, I just have one question:

What about, say, a scheme and strategy deck that I make up as a give away for new players? I could understand if the answer is no because a Scheme and Strategy deck is commercially available, if hard to get right at the moment. Would a set of Gaining Ground Strategy cards be kosher? Thanks!

See the second bullet point. That's the sort of thing you would need to submit a request for.

To summarize:

Are you the only one who will ever use it? If so, we're cool with it.

Are you going to give it away for free? Contact us with the appropriate forms and we may or may not give permission.

Are you going to sell it? Don't do it. Selling Wyrd IP is a clear violation.

Are those strats & Scheme decks still available?  I was under the impression (After trying a bit) that they are nearly impossible to come by at this point.  I never really thought to print a deck for myself, which might be a useful tool for remembering, but I would love to buy a deck.  I am just fairly sure they are basically all dried up.

Aaron   

Sounds legit, I just have one question:

See the second bullet point. That's the sort of thing you would need to submit a request for.

To summarize:

Are you the only one who will ever use it? If so, we're cool with it.

Are you going to give it away for free? Contact us with the appropriate forms and we may or may not give permission.

Are you going to sell it? Don't do it. Selling Wyrd IP is a clear violation.

Are those strats & Scheme decks still available?  I was under the impression (After trying a bit) that they are nearly impossible to come by at this point.  I never really thought to print a deck for myself, which might be a useful tool for remembering, but I would love to buy a deck.  I am just fairly sure they are basically all dried up.

You can buy them right here: http://giveusyourmoneypleasethankyou-wyrd.com/products/schemes-and-strategies-deck

You can also get them at your local store in a couple of weeks.

Ceodoc   

So what you're saying is that the image I thieved from your website and am currently using as my lockscreen wallpaper is legit and I can stop hiding my phone from people at Gen Con?

Thanks Wyrd! You'se the bestest. :D

image.jpg

Spectre I love it! Does that work on Android, I have a Samsung S5, if so would you be willing to sell that to me.

/Mum's the word

So what you're saying is that the image I thieved from your website and am currently using as my lockscreen wallpaper is legit and I can stop hiding my phone from people at Gen Con?

Thanks Wyrd! You'se the bestest. :D

image.jpg

Spectre I love it! Does that work on Android, I have a Samsung S5, if so would you be willing to sell that to me.

/Mum's the word

Oh yes... I see what you did, there.

Smart ass. ;)

Just saw the "RAMS" cards for the new Bad Ink fate deck. Does this mean that we can no longer use a six shooter in any of our personal Malifaux design iconography as Wyrd has now used it once?

Bad Ink Fate Deck - Rams.JPG

Tawg   
On 3/31/2016 at 11:23 AM, rsteelrose said:

Just saw the "RAMS" cards for the new Bad Ink fate deck. Does this mean that we can no longer use a six shooter in any of our personal Malifaux design iconography as Wyrd has now used it once?

Bad Ink Fate Deck - Rams.JPG

I'm not an expert on legal matters, but I believe public domain is pretty open.  If your question is "A six-shooter style gun", I doubt anyone can claim copy right on that, and I don't see why you would not be able to use one.

If it is that exact gun, possibly including the angle and style, or especially when combined with the manacles and rose motif behind it, I think you'd be stepping over a line.  But I feel like common sense goes a long way in determining if you've made individual work or are directly copying an existing piece.

Zentaku   

I love how Wyrd is trying to lay ground for people stealing their stuff, and everyone chimes in with sarcastic answers. Look just don't sell a bunch of Wyrds stuff claiming it yours, its not like they are Nintendo. 

Victoria   

Out of curiosity... if I want to put the little wyrd imp guy on my fingernails for gen con via printed vinyl nail wrap, do I need to get approval to use the art?  One time thing, not giving away, not for anyone else.

Okay serious question (my understanding of copyright law is vague and uneducated at best).

I run the Facebook page for Malifaux in my country and use it to generate interest, organise events and generally push the game onto the uneducated masses that are still trapped in lesser systems.

We have images of all the masters in our picture folder for new players to look through.

Each picture has the following statement applied.

All Trademarks, including Malifaux, places, things and character names and their distinctive likenesses are property of Wyrd Miniatures, LLC.

Is this enough to cover me or will I get a cease and desist order?