What do you think the next book will hold?

Math Mathonwy

As the title says.

The campaign system is always the "obvious" add on to minis games (the other being siege, but I doubt that in this case :D) so now that that's out of the way, what do you think the next book will have?

Adding more Master or just a boatload of new models (like Crossroads) will lead to serious bloat and balancing new stuff will become harder and harder. But I suppose we're not quite there yet and adding a single Master to all the Factions along with themed models would still probably be possible. Or what do you think?

What else?

New Schemes? Alternative environments (mines, a moving train, etc.)? A new Faction? 3rd edition? :D

I'd dig a train or such advanced environments, but Wyrd would have to step up their terrain game in that case. A single Master and according theme would probably be manageable... though I am about sceptical of the bloat, yes.

I'd like multiplayer encounters... serial encounters with a progressing story... a buttload of upgrades, perhaps?

A new scheme pool would be interesting, I love the gaining grounds strats and how they're almost the same but play really differently. Would be interesting to see what Wyrd came up with, even if it wasn't a whole new set, maybe just some alternatives for the suit schemes.

I'll throw my hat in for this one...

I'd like to see the factions get fleshed out more by ditching this silly "dual faction" stuff and actually having new unique masters.

If you don't want that (because people will be upset that they can't play their master in the faction they want to or whatever) then I will reiterate my hypothesis of master-rotation that I see in the future. As in, some masters leave or get killed and other masters (brand new or henchmen getting "upgraded" - I'm looking at you Rusty Alyce).

That's probably an M3E kind of thing that won't be for a while, though. It would be a good way of neutering OP masters (Cassandra takes Colette's place, kinda deal) and ditching boring ones or the ones that are just simply the least popular. You could always play your old masters in a "legacy" version, or what have you.

Since I am pretty sure we are a long ways from that still I think I'll just say that M2E Book 4 will be a boatload of fluff and some new models - what else can really be done? New faction?... we already have a faction that just feels wholly niche, gimmicky, and mostly unnecessary (10T - yeah, I said it) - so I don't see that happening either.

It will be interesting to see what will be done with the game - I don't see much growth - just fleshing out and rotation.

What I don't want to see happening is this "leveling" where factions start filling in the blanks with models based on what they are missing. Factions should have specific strengths and weaknesses. Neverborn getting dogs and guns is an example of this - I see it less as "balance" and more of "lets just make every faction the same cepts aesthetics."

• Like 5

I would hope they make the Dark Carnevale to have its own rules and make it a real master box. More Belles would be great too. And maybe an upgrade to all the other factions that could cost like 5ss called "The cleansation" (2) that immediately kills all gremlins in Los

• Like 3

A few new models, no new masters. Potentially new schemes. New upgrades for existing masters to change playstyles up. I still am advocating for an upgrade that lets Seamus hire any living showgirl, but on hiring the lose the living and showgirl traits and gain the undead and belle traits. :)

Have you seen the Seamus avatar card in Shifting Loyalties?

Just wondering, since half of the avatar card is being able to summon undead versions of living non-totem show girls.

Just wondering, since half of the avatar card is being able to summon undead versions of living non-totem show girls.

There are no totem Showgirls, Mechanical Dove doesn't have that characteristic. So this can only mean that all Master will be getting alternate totems in the next book. :P

• Like 1

I think there's definitely enough unexplored design space for new masters to be introduced to each faction without being too similar to the existing masters. However, that can't continue indefinitely, because eventually the new models would become derivative. 

A new scheme chart would be fun, just like the 2015 Gaining Grounds document introducing new but similar strategies.  I'd really like to see official rules for multiplayer setups!

I wouldn't  mind seeing a bit of a longer break in Malifaux book releases (at least until all the currently available stuff is available for purchase). Let the power combos (that are obviously out of scale) shake out and see what still needs to be tightened up. I would argue that this was one of the biggest issues with 1st edition, potent interactions became prolific just as they were noticed to have some very large abuses (relatively minor when only a model or two had them, but horribly ridiculous when given to an entire crew).

This would also allow some attention to be paid to the other games that have languished for more than a few years now, some in a state of marginally playable (yes, looking squarely at Puppet Wars here). I also wouldn't mind seeing more themed encounters and narrative play options, perhaps with an accompanying terrain piece to play over (would love if it were Terraclips compatible but that ship seems to be resting on the bottom of the ocean currently).

Definitely dont want to see a book with more than a handful of models in it.

• Like 2

I'd expect it'll be something like the campaign; something that utilises the existing models (there are quite a few now).

I agree with Omenbringer, though. So much just dropped at Gencon and there's still a fair number of models unaccounted for. That said, I wouldn't say no to strictly non-Foundry robo-piglets or a new Gremlin construct for some Sparks synergy...

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post. Regardless of what is coming out for Malifaux this Gen Con - you can be damn sure Malifaux will be taking a backseat to The Other Side... seeing as how its a new game and will (should) be pushed very hard... so don't get your hopes up as far as Maifaux is concerned. ;)

There are no totem Showgirls, Mechanical Dove doesn't have that characteristic. So this can only mean that all Master will be getting alternate totems in the next book. :P

That clause was added because of Wong's lovely assistant, she is a living totem showgirl.

I have, and I was heavily involved in the testing of the abilities on that card, though that ability wasn't my suggestion.

I know it wasn't your suggestion.  However, given that there's an avatar ability for summoning, that seems to make it unlikely that there'd be an upgrade card for hiring that was separate.

You'd either get the angry "What do you mean I can hire undead show girls but I have to be the avatar to summon them?" or else you'd make the avatar obsolete.

One thing I forgot to mention in my original post. Regardless of what is coming out for Malifaux this Gen Con - you can be damn sure Malifaux will be taking a backseat to The Other Side... seeing as how its a new game and will (should) be pushed very hard... so don't get your hopes up as far as Maifaux is concerned. ;)

It would be nice to see the two games alter release years. There is a lot of positive that comes with a more relaxed schedule. Might also allow for some of the other games to see some renewed development...like Puppet Wars. And a long shot hope...perhaps Terraclips could be brought back in a much more marketable form (themed structures as opposed to generic sets, i.e. Lego model) in the $40 price range (and include the damn clips).

I'm hoping for GorillaSharks.It's the head of a shark on the body of a gorilla.

For years I've long dreamt of unleashing an army of them upon the world in a meglomanical bid for power but sadly it seems this will not come to pass so I'm willing to settle for good ole Doug McMourning getting his hands on the blueprints.

• Like 1

What I would like to see (in addition to at least some new models per fraction):

• Introduce game rules for smaller game soulstone counts games, which don’t require house rules such as not allowing summoning. I could imagine this being accomplished:
    • Game size dependent strategy, scheme decks
    • Hand cards size becomes soulstone dependent
    • Game size dependent soul stone cache
  • “epic” game rule for games with ~75+ soulstone (master + henchman) + more rounds, allowing avatar manifestation (by bigger and longer game it should eliminate/mitigate balance issues).
  • Scenarios / Encounters with specific soul stone count and terrain setup (like Descent and others).
    • Actually rolling up all the encounters scattered in previous books and chronicles would be good.
  • Stricter (formal) terrain placement (see Battlelore 2nd edition :)), or even fixed Terrain-setup’s.
    • I am just playing in the family with my kids and since we are not experienced enough, there is a risk we realize late in the game that the terrain was not balanced and then ...
  • Innovative/cool (sample) board/terrain setups (which have gotten some play testing and validation that they are balanced):
    • Such as a small 2x2 board + terrain for smaller soulstone counts.
    • Multiple levels, vantage points (tricky to be done by inexperienced players and still be an enjoyable/balanced game)
  • Terrain (models) with:
    • Explicit terrain rules.
      • Again, as we play we run too often into discussions on the terrain rules as we are not routine enough to clarify everything upfront.
      • Actually when the Wyrd plastcraft terrain was announced I had hoped that each terrain piece would come with an explicit terrain rule card.
  • fraction specific terrain models.